Fall TURD 2016 - The Bunkie Boucherie Sept.29--Oct.2nd

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
SwampFox
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Fall TURD 2016 - The Bunkie Boucherie Sept.29--Oct.2nd

Postby SwampFox » Sat May 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Bunkie (bun-kee): A farming community in the North end of the Cajun Prairie in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, named after a little girl who referred to her toy monkey as her "Bunkie" (http://bunkie.com/GoodStuff/About.Bunkie.htm)

Boucherie (boo-shuh-ree): A community butchering of a pig which involved several families.... done in late fall to provide meat throughout the winter.... lasts several days....with a big dinner on the last day.... (http://www.cajundaughters.com/cajun-dictionary-b/)

Dates: September 29th--October 2nd.

No, we're really not planning to kill a hog (nor a Hawg), but Ripley's Lane is just off Slaughterhouse Road and I suspect there will be a lot of "chewing the fat" and we'll likely conclude with a big dinner on Saturday evening.

Rally central will be at the home of Larry & Barbara at 121 Ripley's Lane in Bunkie, Louisiana. It's easy to find as Ripley's Lane is literally their driveway.

DIRECTIONS: From U.S Highway 71/SW Main Street in Bunkie, Louisiana,
Turn East on Louisiana Highways 29/115–East Church Street,
Cross the railroad & bear right on LA 29/115–Evergreen Road,
Travel ¾ mile to All Star Inn on Left at Lyle Avenue;

Turn Left on Lyle Ave under the Rocky’s arch –¼ mile to Sterling Bains Road,
Turn Right on Sterling Bains Road – ½ mile to Slaughterhouse Road,
Turn Right on Slaughterhouse Road – 500 feet to Ripleys Lane on Right.

Alternative Directions: North on Slaughterhouse Road at Scott’s Ace Hardware ½ mile to Ripleys Lane on Left.

CAMPING: On-site with a bath/shower available. We should be able to accommodate limited electric service if needed.

If you prefer a MOTEL or RV HOOK-UPS, please make your own lodging reservations:
Motels: All-Star Inn 1 mile away - 318-346-8113 or Howard Johnson motel 7 miles West - 318-346-6866
Note: The All-Star Inn is a small motel just down the street the rally site - please make your reservations early.
RV Park: Gator Grounds RV Park on Golf Course Road 6 miles Northeast -318-295-4030 or 318-346-6245 https://gatorgrounds.org/

Preliminary Plans include (subject to change, of course):

Thursday/Friday:
Overnight ride incorporating the paved and unpaved roads along the Atchafalaya levees with an overnight layover in Morgan City. Kent will lead this ride - he has reserved Tent Site T-15 at Lake End Park for Thursday, September 29th:
Thursday: Leave rally central in Bunkie at 8:00 am, traveling ±150 miles to Morgan City on the West side of the Atchafalaya floodway, ±60 miles unpaved, camping at Lake End Park in Morgan City: http://lakeendpark.net/ (motels also available if preferred) Supper could be crabburgers at Rita Mae's Kitchen: https://www.facebook.com/RitaMaesKitche ... 5494856259
Friday: Travel ±150 miles up the East side of the floodway back to rally central - ±50 miles unpaved.

Thursday alternative for early arrivers:
2:00 Ride to the Louisiana Arboretum in Chicot State Park 22 miles Southwest (see details on 2nd page herein below) followed by supper at a local restaurant

Friday:
11:00 Meet-Up for Lunch at Lea's Lunch Room in Lecompte followed by a 50 mile tour of fish hatchery and local bayou back roads
6:30 Ham & Yam Supper at rally central (Yams are a staple crop of the area)

Saturday:
7:45 Breakfast benefiting the Boy Scouts at David Haas Memorial United Methodist Church
9:30 Side-Trip to Big Bend :? [80 miles]
4:00 Sidecar Games
6:30 Brisket Dinner at rally central benefiting the Boy Scouts

Sunday:
7:45 Breakfast - Shrimp & Grits at rally central

We'll have a donation jar to offset rally expenses.

There will be a Riders' Meeting before both the Breakfast Ride and the Side Trip to Big Bend.

Stay Tuned for more details as they develop......
Last edited by SwampFox on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Lee
USCA South Central Director
Summer Grove, LA USA
R1100GS with CSM Sidecar
CRF250L + TW200
Burgman with Texas Ranger <Mrs. SwampFox's

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Fall TURD 2016 - The Bunkie Boucherie Sept.30--Oct.2nd

Postby URAL CT » Sun May 22, 2016 1:43 am

Will there be "pork cracklings" available at "Boucherie"??? Oooweee...boudin & crawfish too? Dang...I be in hawg heaven in Boucherie. Lee, this reminds me of the Breaux Bridge expedition with you & Oldtimer? :moto: :hungry: :hungry: :moto:
Oldtimer...ya ready for another round of crawfish, boudin, etouffee, gumbo, & cracklings? :lol:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

kentsilk
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby kentsilk » Sun May 22, 2016 8:49 am

Levee Ride

Previous Levee Ride
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68327&highlight=levee

Please let me you how is interested in the proposed Levee ride:

Day 1 Sept 29th: Leave Base Camp after breakfast and work our way down to Morgan City about 120 miles. Lunch and dinner on the road. Camp out in Morgan City area.

Day 2 Sept 30th: Break camp have breakfast in Morgan City. Take a quick tour of the town and start our journey bake to Bunkie for the Gumbo Supper.

there is about 80 miles of dirt roads within the levee system that we'll be on, 40 each way.

:hungry: :moto: :hungry: :moto:

Camp Ground $24.00 per night http://lakeendpark.net/
Showers and a lake seems like a good place to me.

Levee Ride List
Kent & Ana 1 Ural
Mario & Emily 2 Urals
Bobby Brown 1 Ural
Bill "Builtea" I Ural
Brad 1 Ural
Last edited by kentsilk on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kent Silk
Houston, TX (Spring/Kline)
2011 Gobi Gear UP

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Looking forward to it. Hopefully this time I can ride my own rig!
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Mon May 23, 2016 6:38 am

Jon

Let's hope so. This is shaping up to be a great event. the trip over for you will be about 400 miles.
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Wed May 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Attendee List

Lee and Jenna
Charlie "UralCT"
Jon "Subsnowden"
Kent, Ana and Dad
Mario and Emily
Bobby Brown and Lydia
Blain
Mike Hilton
George and Aurora
Bill Thomas "Builtea"
Robert "Baytown"
Barry "oldtimer"
James "Schdoja"
Last edited by kentsilk on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Thu May 26, 2016 12:45 am

Kent...besides Mario & Emily, Blain is planning on coming with us too. He liked the idea that we are or I am :D allocating 2 days to get there & 2 day to scoot back home. :mrgreen:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

SwampFox
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby SwampFox » Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 am

URAL CT wrote:Will there be "pork cracklings" available at "Boucherie"??? Oooweee...boudin & crawfish too? Dang...I be in hawg heaven in Boucherie. Lee, this reminds me of the Breaux Bridge expedition with you & Oldtimer? :moto: :hungry: :hungry: :moto:
Oldtimer...ya ready for another round of crawfish, boudin, etouffee, gumbo, & cracklings? :lol:

Charlie, there are no plans for pork cracklin's at the rally site, but I suspect you can find cracklings & boudin at stores and meat markets in the area. The area of the Cajun culture begins in earnest 20 miles South 'round Ville Platte, but the culinary traditions of the Cajun prairie region is alive and well in Bunkie/Avoyelles Parish.

You reckon Oldtimer will bail out on the cracklin's & boudin and go to the Subway sandwich shop for supper again? :blink:

Proposed schedule revised on first post above - and is subject to further revision
Last edited by SwampFox on Thu May 26, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
USCA South Central Director
Summer Grove, LA USA
R1100GS with CSM Sidecar
CRF250L + TW200
Burgman with Texas Ranger <Mrs. SwampFox's

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 am

URAL CT wrote:Kent...besides Mario & Emily, Blain is planning on coming with us too. He liked the idea that we are or I am :D allocating 2 days to get there & 2 day to scoot back home. :mrgreen:

I'm liking that idea as well :cheers:
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Fri May 27, 2016 8:16 am

Previous Levee Ride Photos

Not sure what we will see on our journey though thanks to Lee for his previous ride reports and great photos. I personally have not done any riding in this part of the country an am truly looking to forward to this ride.

A_Levee 005.jpg

A_Levee 010.jpg

A_Levee 022_1.jpg

A_Levee 025.jpg

A_Levee 027.jpg

A_Levee 034.jpg

A_Levee 052.jpg

Some time this summer I will have to recon the route will Lee and will try to add some new photos of the recon ride. Since Lee will be leading the Friday luncheon ride i will be leading the Levee ride. I will not promise that we will not turn around and back track some where along this journey though I can promise is that you will have a great time and will enjoy yourselves. What more is need!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 pm

SwampFox wrote: You reckon Oldtimer will bail out on the cracklin's & boudin and go to the Subway sandwich shop for supper again? :blink:

Yup...Oldtimer failed miserably on this Cajun outing. For folks that are wondering... we set out to scoot towards Breaux Bridge, LA, "the crawfish capital of the world" during the crawfish festival. This was a trip to chow on nutin' but Cajun food & crawfish or mud bugs for a week. On the evening of that fateful day, Lee & I & Oldtimer set out to order some supper of cracklings & boudin to take back to the B&B we were staying at. When we got back to the B&B picnic area... Oldtimer was nowhere to be found. Then several minutes later, here comes Oldtimer sauntering in with a bag of subway sandwich. :shock: :cry: He sure FAILED in our quest to chow on nothing but Cajun food...shame on Oldtimer for letting us down. :P I'm sure he'll bail on us again. :mrgreen: but I could be wrong :lurker:
Lee...those pics on Kent's post look familiar. Seem like this was the route we were on, on our ride to visit the Tabasco museum.
I know y'alls will have a great time in Bunkie Boucherie, Louisiana...its food offerings, music & the ride. Come join us...ya hear! :cheers:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Charlie do you think Old Timer is bad at us? he did not respond to your post! You might have to say your sorry......... :P
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:54 pm

He's out on a big ship cruise to somewhere. Dunno when he's coming back.
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Ural_Riders.jpg

Will we see this in Louisiana? We need to be on the look out for the new Family Car! :moto:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

Builtea
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Builtea » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Kent, Please add me to the attendee list, and the levee ride. I'm up in Canada now and will only get on the Internet occasionally. I'm off the grid! At this time I plan to ride to Houston on Monday and on to Bunkie on Tuesday. I'll have a tent and my hammock. Will I need a reservation and/or can I share a tent site on the levee ride. This looks like it will be a great week of riding for me by the time I get back home. I'll be looking forward to it all summer. Wish I had my Ural up here with me. - Bill
2013 Retro M70 - Molly

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”