2016 SOUR

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: 2016 SOUR

Postby sagerat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:44 pm

I may have to do some pre-SOUR recon and report back. I often do Summer Lake as a day ride.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:34 am

sagerat wrote:I may have to do some pre-SOUR recon and report back. I often do Summer Lake as a day ride.

I'm green (sage green that is :wink: ) with envy. That would be great Peter.

Here's kind of what I was thinking as far as rides. One might be going down to Goose lake and ride some of the OBDR. Starting at Goose lake and riding up over the hills east of Lakeview.....which drops you back down into Lakeview and then back to the hot springs. Another could be up on Winter Ridge.....starting in Paisley and riding north on the ridge....I remember some nice view points up there that overlook Summer lake. Yet another could be heading up to Fort Rock and the sights around there. Crack in the ground....hole in the earth etc...

Still lots of time to work things out.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:11 pm

sagerat wrote:I may have to do some pre-SOUR recon and report back. I often do Summer Lake as a day ride. "Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up"

There are a few EFI rigs for sale in Black Market - you oughta get one of them... or put a new battery in the one you have... :lol:

Still unanswered by Those That Know: Will ordinary street tires be OK for this SOUR? I am under the impression that "knobbies" are better for MOAB, so are they needed for SOUR?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

siberman1 wrote:
sagerat wrote:I may have to do some pre-SOUR recon and report back. I often do Summer Lake as a day ride. "Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up"

There are a few EFI rigs for sale in Black Market - you oughta get one of them... or put a new battery in the one you have... :lol:

Still unanswered by Those That Know: Will ordinary street tires be OK for this SOUR? I am under the impression that "knobbies" are better for MOAB, so are they needed for SOUR?

YMMV

Hi Marv......my GU is sporting K28s all around.....we'll be riding on forest service type roads that are quite tame....so to speak....none of that crazy sh.t Mr. Cob does down in DV. I think any tire will do just fine.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:16 pm

I've run Uralshinas (back in the day) and now run Duros and I've been fine on the two-digit USFS roads and four-digit roads. I've even puttered down two-tracks, but those can get challenging.

Bottome line, street tires with decent tread should be fine if it's dry.
2004 Ural Tourist

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:27 pm

54vintage wrote:
siberman1 wrote:

YMMV

Hi Marv......my GU is sporting K28s all around.....we'll be riding on forest service type roads that are quite tame....so to speak....none of that crazy sh.t Mr. Cob does down in DV. I think any tire will do just fine.

Thanks for answer. Yeah, Mr. Cob has somewhat "suggested " that ordinary street tires do not do so well in MOAB, or maybe just where he goes in MOAB. Dunno, I kinda like the aggressive tires for when (not if) I get off somewhere around here. Even the snow + hills + mountains make me want a set of something better than ordinary OEM tires. Of course, the Paisley area will be fine except if there happens to be rain, ha ha ha.

BTW, what IS that yellow thing towing your Ural? What do you do that requires such a "fashion statement" kind of tow rig?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:30 pm

You making fun of my home away from home Marv :wink: If I was coming solo it wouldn't be there.....this time I'm hauling the whole darn family along.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

tooluser55
Comrade
Comrade

Postby tooluser55 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 am

I have a great place to offer up. Shelton memorial wayside on hyw. 19 between Fossil and Spray. This is the National Motorcycle Memorial site as well. There is camping over 2 miles and fifty or more large camp sites that mr cob or larger motor/campers could park in. Lots of really cool rides on 4 wheeler trails and old roads in the area. I am going to be there for the Black Ribbon Ride and rally July 15-17 2016,There is room in the park to have Urals in a area of there ,own if they want to be . This event is a good thing with live music Friday and Saturday night Family friendly with kid games. The community and county is very biker friendly. We would be welcome there during this event or it could be a great place some other date. Check out the web site for the National Motorcycle Riders Memorial 2016 Black Ribbon Ride It is a really good ride. Camping is usually 15 for the week end and you could have an area like we had down there last year for 45 to 60 that would camp 40 to 50 bikes The Park is 186 acre that has 2 miles plus of the old road running through it that is what is leased to the NMRM there is a gravel road with the camp sites along it. I have a 40 ft. toy hauler That I can use as a home base. There is running water at all the sites and pretty clean concrete out houses. Yes there is a good turn around at the top and the bottom of the campground. Power and bands on the bottom. Kraig 9712373313

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 am

I've got May 26-31 open. Can't stay past that.
I'll have my little M70 with the stock Duro tires. If we can do it, anyone can! :D
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby pierce » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 pm

My son and I are going to try and make the ralley this year.

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:08 pm

pierce wrote:My son and I are going to try and make the ralley this year.

Hi Claude....hope you guys can make it....it should be a lot of fun.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Chuck,
I'm assuming there are no coin-operated showers like we had at Armitage last year.
2004 Ural Tourist

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 pm

sagerat wrote:Chuck,
I'm assuming there are no coin-operated showers like we had at Armitage last year.

There is a nice restroom/shower room facility there open to all campers if memory serves. I sent an email to the owner to check on the status of the east field if the hot springs.....thinking that the field is first come first served no reserve camping. I'll report as soon as he replies.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Howdy All,

OK, I am confused don't worry this is a normal state of mind for me. :(

I need some clarification so I can make reservations, are most folks showing up at the rally site on May 30th or May29th? Is June 2nd an actual rally day with activities or is it the day everyone is leaving? As the RV sites are few and a bit spendy I want to make sure I reserve a site for the full dates of the rally but don't want to reserve the site for days when folks won't be there. Hope I addressed the information I need and didn't confuse you folks. :?

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

OK, I am confused don't worry this is a normal state of mind for me. :(

I need some clarification so I can make reservations, are most folks showing up at the rally site on May 30th or May29th? Is June 2nd an actual rally day with activities or is it the day everyone is leaving? As the RV sites are few and a bit spendy I want to make sure I reserve a site for the full dates of the rally but don't want to reserve the site for days when folks won't be there. Hope I addressed the information I need and didn't confuse you folks. :?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Here it is....first Official day is Monday 30th of May.....last Official day is Thursday 2nd of June. Now there has been some folks who wonder why not this Blah Blah day to this Blah Blah day. To this I say (two things) 1....come early if you like and stay later if you like. 2....when I opened the SOUR 2016 thread no one grabbed the ball and ran with it.....so I did.... :D I'm for sure going to be there on those dates ( along with the whole fam damily) enjoying the great rides in the area and the wonderful hot springs.

I hope this helps :cheers:

Chuck
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”