2016 SOUR

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
mr. cob
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: 2016 SOUR

Postby mr. cob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Howdy Chuck,

Thanks for the photos and information.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Hey all,
I've already got SOUR on my calendar. I'm in wherever we'll be!
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Some videos of the area taken while a friend and I were riding the OBDR......sorry about some of the dust on the lens.

These were all taken above Lakeview Oregon....I think this would make for a nice days ride from the hot springs.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Howdy Chuck,

Thanks for the video's, looks like FUN Ural roads to me. :boogie:

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Here's a video of some fellow flying over crack in the ground.....gives you kind of an idea of the landscape in the area.

Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Dark Knight
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 am

I'm in! The Summer Lake Hotsprings area (http://summerlakehotsprings.com/index.html) seems like a real fun location!!
Kirt "Mr. Incredibell" Bell & RAVEN

2006 URAL Raven
Fuel Line Quick Disconnects
Power Arc Ignition with VOES
sean0262 R3W Steering Damper Kit

lpenney
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lpenney » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Well, I'm pretty much in for those dates. I reserved a cabin from 5/29 to 6/1. I figured we'd arrive on Sunday, ride Monday/Tuesday and head out on Wednesday morning.

Let's hope it happens!
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 Yamaha TW200 (gone but not forgotten)

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:36 pm

So what is the official start/gather date? Is it 5/28 or 5/29 and goes to when? Is there a possible loose schedule of events or whatever?

Are ordinary street tires OK for this place? Will the SOUR director have another rear flat tire for "Show & Tell"?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:35 pm

siberman1 wrote:So what is the official start/gather date? Is it 5/28 or 5/29 and goes to when? Is there a possible loose schedule of events or whatever?

Are ordinary street tires OK for this place? Will the SOUR director have another rear flat tire for "Show & Tell"?

YMMV

you're asking for it Marv :wink: I'll post a full detail of the event as I see it happening tonight.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 pm

So here we go folks......we're going to make it official. The 2016 SOUR will happen at Summer Lake Hot Springs. Dates will be May 30th to June 2nd. Any and all who want to come early and stay late are, of course, welcome to do so.

My suggestion to those who are wanting an RV spot should reserve ASAP to insure a spot. I believe there are reservable tent spots also, then there is the primitive camp area also which is first come first served.....it's a large area so I don't see a problem for those who are planning to come, but don't want to spend on a reservation. I count myself and family in this category.

Like last year, I see this as a riders gathering. I am not much at planning fun and games at gatherings like this, so if someone wants to do something in that line....it's all yours!

Also last year there was a loose attempt at having a potluck dinner one night.....this year I hope we can tighten that up a bit and have a potluck where all get together at one spot. We have a lot of time before the SOUR so we can come up with a clear picture of what our potluck can look like.

Paisley is a bit of a small town and because my memory fails me on what the grocery store scene is there, it could be that Lakeview might offer the best selection of goods. I'll check in on that as time goes on.

There is gas available in Paisley and Lakeview (of course) but I would suggest everyone carry some spare fuel on our rides so if the need to explore a bit more arises (and I'm sure it will) we will be able to do so.

This year since we are planning this so early I'm going to have the time to do something Motorcycle Rally ish. I'll be making some award plaques for a few categories. Longest traveled attendee.....longest traveled attendee/ bike only....oldest bike....highest mile bike....and bike with most farkels. I thought we could award these at the potluck.

Anyway.....these are my thoughts on the SOUR.....anyone who has some ideas on an untouched subject feel free to bring them up.

Chuck
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:48 am

Hmm, with a long weekend, why couldn't the "official start date" be on the Sunday 29 May? That would give folks who have to travel some distance (whatever that is...) a day to get there and get set up, not to mention Friday evening/night. It appears that a "start date" of 30 May wastes a day IMO. I'd even hazard a thought about 28 May, Saturday before the holiday. Some folks have to get back to work or other frivolous activities after the holiday.

So what is consensus from the SOUR Director and the populace?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 am

This may be worthwhile doing (or not) but here's a shot of the rig that the 54vintage crew will be attending in. Other than the obvious fact that a Ural will be attached to the back of it....at least we'll know who is there to have fun......I encourage any and all who are doing the same and RVing in to post shots of their rigs so we know who's parked where.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:02 pm

siberman1 wrote:Hmm, with a long weekend, why couldn't the "official start date" be on the Sunday 29 May? That would give folks who have to travel some distance (whatever that is...) a day to get there and get set up, not to mention Friday evening/night. It appears that a "start date" of 30 May wastes a day IMO. I'd even hazard a thought about 28 May, Saturday before the holiday. Some folks have to get back to work or other frivolous activities after the holiday.

So what is consensus from the SOUR Director and the populace?

YMMV

Marv....folks are welcome to come early and stay late....the dates stated are merely guidelines and not written in stone. For me it's not that it is a long weekend, but the expense of the journey. Only so many days I can be gone from my working class dog life. That said and I'll repeat myself....all are free to come early and stay as long as they want.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Little more info on area: there's gas at Summer Lake General Store, but it's regular only. Great cafe in Paisley, the Homestead. Gas is iffy in Silver Lake and Paisley, so for those riding down OR 31 (great Ural road), top off in La Pine.

Flyaway restaurant in Summer Lake is fine, but more pricey than Homestead. Picture Rock Pass has petroglyphs and there's good USFS riding on Winter Ridge, although you could get snow in shady spots and higher elevations.

No groceries in Paisley; Lakeview is your closest source of supplies. Summer Lake General Store will have staples, but not much.

I've poked around a bit in the communities of Fort Rock and Christmas Valley and I dimly recall gas at Fort Rock. Christmas Valley has the Lost Forest, pine trees growing out of sand dunes due to a perched water table.

All in all, great Ural country. Don't know if I can get the time off of work, but I hope, too. USFS #18 will take you from Fort Rock to Bend, but will rattle your molars loose.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:21 pm

sagerat wrote:Little more info on area: there's gas at Summer Lake General Store, but it's regular only. Great cafe in Paisley, the Homestead. Gas is iffy in Silver Lake and Paisley, so for those riding down OR 31 (great Ural road), top off in La Pine.

Flyaway restaurant in Summer Lake is fine, but more pricey than Homestead. Picture Rock Pass has petroglyphs and there's good USFS riding on Winter Ridge, although you could get snow in shady spots and higher elevations.

No groceries in Paisley; Lakeview is your closest source of supplies. Summer Lake General Store will have staples, but not much.

I've poked around a bit in the communities of Fort Rock and Christmas Valley and I dimly recall gas at Fort Rock. Christmas Valley has the Lost Forest, pine trees growing out of sand dunes due to a perched water table.

All in all, great Ural country. Don't know if I can get the time off of work, but I hope, too. USFS #18 will take you from Fort Rock to Bend, but will rattle your molars loose.

Thanks for the input my good man...any and all info is very welcome. Hope you can make it Peter.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”