Spring in Moab 2016

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
wadeinater
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Spring in Moab 2016

Postby wadeinater » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:12 am

I just reserved our campsite. All systems are go for Moab. It will be great to see everyone again. This time we are going to arrive during the first weekend.

Ernie
2004 Patrol

DirtyDR
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby DirtyDR » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Sounds great Ernie, looking forward to it.
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

K7MDL
Comrade
Comrade

Postby K7MDL » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:12 am

I was hoping to make it there this year, but looks like I will miss you by a few days. Family flying down there do not leave until April 30. I am driving my truck down with my fishing boat in tow. Leave April 2 to Phoenix for a week on business and to see my parents, then on to Florida April 9 for sailing, fishing, house hunting, house fixing, and see in-laws and friends, returning home to Seattle via Lake Powell for photo/sightseeing on May 2, then arrive in Moab May 5. I may skip Lake Powell and move up Moab arrival to May 2.

Maybe a few souls will still be there after May 1st?

Won't have my motorcycle (2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx adventure bike) this trip, but the truck (2016 F150, just sold my Jeep- sniff, sniff) can tackle most roads so will do what I can. Maybe see the Needles district, never been there. Looking for a light weight pop-up camper for the truck also, hotels and tents with the Jeep do not cut it for me anymore. I have made no accommodations arrangements yet for Moab, working on that next. Will see how that fares.

- Mike
Last edited by K7MDL on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2016 Ford F150 XLT 3.5EB 3.55 rear lockers
3 rail mc trailer, room for riders!

DirtyDR

Postby DirtyDR » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Hey Mike, sorry we are going to miss you, it would be great to see you again.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

ridenfly
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby ridenfly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:53 pm

DirtyDR wrote:Hey Mike, sorry we are going to miss you, it would be great to see you again.

me also
Walt
2003 Patrol Goslovna 140,000k +
A proud member of the Patrol Patrol
1986 SP200 Suzuki for narrow trails
my first car was a new 1954 HD 74 panhead

GO.WARCAT
Party Member
Party Member

Postby GO.WARCAT » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:54 am

mundo wrote:Wrap around this , best enjoyed with a adult refreshment. Moab Raid

I (finally) watched ^^^this^^^ video and it was FANTASTIC!! Can't believe I haven't seen it before. Today starts the 1 month count down calendar for my monkey and I. We are both beyond excited!

Also, has anybody been following WTF_Chuck's travels? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40071 He begged to come along so we will have him w/us. He will be passed on to one very special and deserving Ural owner at this event so start thinking long and hard to whether or not you're up for the task as Gnome Tender!

Can't wait to meet everybody! It'll also be fun to enjoy this time w/my friends from the PNW. Did I mention that I'm really looking FWD: to this?!?! :boogie: :cheers: :boogie:
Tracy

2009 Gear-Up Sahara; WARCAT

DirtyDR

Postby DirtyDR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:24 pm

If you need to waste a little more time before Moab here are a few pictures of past years.
https://dirtydr.smugmug.com/Moab
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

Mystery Jig
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mystery Jig » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:01 pm

The clock is tick-tocking up here on the North Atlantic coast. Bit of snow today and I've had a cold. Can't stop leafing through this guide book "Moab, UT Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroads-4-Wheel-Trails-Edition/dp/1934838063

I know you guys keep it loose and don't have any scheduled rides, but what should I be looking at? Arches, Canyonlands and La Sal Forest? Maybe you could name some trails, destinations you've done before and would recommend?

It'd sure help pass the time up here. :feelsgood:
2010 Patrol T
2007 KLR650

K7MDL
Comrade
Comrade

Postby K7MDL » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 am

The mountains are likely covered in snow. The lower roads under 9,500ft have been snow free in my experience. Can do a loop up there several ways. The book has a few. Do not expect to go over the 10K+ passes though. You could do some up and back turning around at the snow line.
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2016 Ford F150 XLT 3.5EB 3.55 rear lockers
3 rail mc trailer, room for riders!

DirtyDR

Postby DirtyDR » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:43 am

What he said. There is way too much snow in the La Sal's to ride. You can take a ride in the parks but I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. Probably do 7 mile rim, Monitor and Merrimac, maybe Gemini Bridges, Spring Canyon and any number of other rides. Will not know until I get there.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

co_g30

Postby co_g30 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:39 am

just booked my tent site, arriving Saturday 23 APR thru 28APR.

looking forward to it, even though I must work between 9am-3pm, or at least be within reach of cellular internet. sigh.
CO_G30
2014 Ural Patrol "Scarlett"
1999 Ural Patrol "Fiona" with '84 R80 engine.
1987 BMW R80 "Brigitta"
http://redlegsrides.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/redlegsrides

Mystery Jig
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mystery Jig » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:53 am

DirtyDR wrote:What he said. There is way too much snow in the La Sal's to ride. You can take a ride in the parks but I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. Probably do 7 mile rim, Monitor and Merrimac, maybe Gemini Bridges, Spring Canyon and any number of other rides. Will not know until I get there.

Good to know. Thanks for the knowledge!
2010 Patrol T
2007 KLR650

DirtyDR

Postby DirtyDR » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:11 am

I just want to let everyone know again that this is not an organized rally by any means. This is my Spring break after working all Winter and I may or may not get out every day. I like to take folks out and show them around Moab because this is one of my favorite places to hang out and explore but I feel no obligation to organize anything. I have plenty of maps and guides that I will have there and these are available to any and everyone that wants to use them plus a fairly good knowledge of the area that I am happy to share. That said, yes I will be leading some good rides and all are welcome to come along but do your due diligence and get out on your own and explore Arches and Islands in the Sky in Canyonlands parks or take a ride into town and walk down Main Street in Moab but do not expect to have an itinerary laid out for the week because I don't even know where I am going until I get up in the morning and get ready to ride. We will BBQ at camp on Thursday, group ride to the Quesadilla wagon on Friday around 17:00 and the car show Saturday morning but the rest of the week is wide open as far as any plans.

Be advised that if you are venturing out on the trails I would not recommend doing it alone and make sure you have plenty of water and can self rescue if needed because it is easy to get in trouble and it is easy to get somewhere where you may not see another person for quite some time. Over the years we have become quite proficient at rescuing stuck and broken down Urals though so as long as you can make it back to Archview all is well and we will get your rig out.

Make sure you have a National Parks Pass if you are going into the parks because the fines for non-compliance are steep and they do check. Arches and Canyonlands require their own separate passes if you want to buy them at the gate but they are only $15.00 apiece for motorcycles for 7 days so that is fairly cheap in my opinion. If you have an annual National Parks Pass and you have two rigs then your pass will allow 2 motorcycles in as long as the second rider has signed the back of your pass. I am also a big advocate of stay the trail so we ride only on designated trails and I make stops on the rides only in places that will accommodate the amount of vehicles in our group. The Rangers have a nasty habit of sitting on the high ridges and looking around with spotting scopes so if you are out on your own keep this in mind
because I have had to pay a $350.00 fine for unintentional straying before, it was marked but I did not see the signs.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

DirtyDR

Postby DirtyDR » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:13 am

:party: Four weeks. :moto: :party:
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Howdy Mike,

Good to hear from you again, sorry our trails won't cross at this years Moab run but we did have some good times. Speaking of which, a few years back Mike on his KLR two wheeled bike and me on the 2008 Ural attempted La Sal Pass, Mike made it up to the snow line about a half mile ahead of me, I had to stop when the grade became to steep and I literally MELTED the clutch on the Ural. This was back before Ural came out with the much better clutch disks, the disks were the modified stock ones I had been providing to people for years, I had the bell-hosing vented and knew how to use the clutch it made no difference, I kept trying to go UP and paid the price for it.

I ended up having to ride the Ural back to camp by jamming it into first gear, starting the rig in gear then shifting it without the clutch as it was totally locked up. It wasn't until I got back home, took the rig down to Little Irbit, Sergey and I tore the rig down and found that the clutch disk material had actually MELTED and glued what was left of the clutch disks to themselves, the floater disk and the flywheel, we had to cut and grind the whole mess apart just to get the flywheel off and replace EVERYTHING. So, based on personal experience, I would strongly advise folks NOT to attempt going over La Sal Pass during the Moab run, at least not on the trail me and Mike rode, even in the summer time it will KILL a Ural clutch even the new style clutch.

Here's a short video of that attempted crossing and its aftermath.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”