TURD's Fall Gathering Sept 2015

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
kentsilk
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

TURD's Fall Gathering Sept 2015

Postby kentsilk » Sat May 23, 2015 6:56 pm

For the fall 2015 sidecar gathering for the Ok-Ark-La-Tex area, we are planning to pitch-in with the Rich Mountain Rendezvous scheduled for September 17-20, 2015 at Queen Wilhelmina State Park along the Ok/Ark border near Mena, Arkansas: http://rmr4casa.com/
In addition to the Talimena Scenic Drive, there are plenty of unpaved NFS roads and county roads to explore in the area, with a good day-loop to the East & South of camp. We'll post up a separate thread soon with more details.

for those that have attended any of the TURD Gathering all are welcome.

This Rally does require you to register.
:party:

Countdown Timer
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?p0=2109&iso=20150924T08
Last edited by kentsilk on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kent Silk
Houston, TX (Spring/Kline)
2011 Gobi Gear UP

SwampFox
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: TURD's Fall Gathering Sept 2015

Postby SwampFox » Sun May 24, 2015 9:42 am

kentsilk wrote:For the fall 2015 sidecar gathering for the Ok-Ark-La-Tex area, we are planning to pitch-in with the Rich Mountain Rendezvous scheduled for September 17-20, 2015at Queen Wilhelmina State Park along the Ok/Ark border near Mena, Arkansas: http://rmr4casa.com/ ....
This Rally does require you to register.
:party:

Looking fwd to another joint venture of the TURD's and Freinds of TURD's. The Rich Mountain Rendezvous, scheduled for September 17-20, 2015, is the annual fundraiser for the local CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) group - registration includes a t-shirt & several meals: http://rmr4casa.com/ Pre-Register by August 15th to reserve a t-shirt of your choice of size.

We have attended, in whole or part, all but one of these gatherings since 1999. Insight into the journey and rally can be seen in these pics from
2011: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/th ... =8&start=1
2012: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/th ... =2&start=1 and
2013: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30592&p=371351&hilit=mena#p371351
2014: oldtimer and I rode up on our CRF/KLX 250's

Queen Wilhelmina State Park is on top of Rich Mountain at +/-2600 feet about 13 miles West of Mena, Arkansas on AR88/OK1 which is the Talimena National Scenic Byway: http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/ Additionally, there are some good unpaved USFS and Polk County roads to the East and South of the park.

The Lodge and Restaurant have been closed for renovations for the past couple of years, but are scheduled to re-open prior to the Rendezvous. There are only 38 rooms in the Lodge and it's quite popular on the weekends - so please contact the Park early if you would like a room at the Lodge: http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/ or (800) 264-2877. The next closest motels are down in Mena - various options can be found here: http://visitmena.com/stay/

Also contact the Park directly should you need to reserve an RV site.

As more fully discussed on the Rendezvous site, there is a large area for tent camping (no hook-ups) that can be paid at pre-registration or to the rallymaster on-site: http://rmr4casa.com/your-rendezvous/camping-options/ Temperatures are generally 10* cooler at the park than down in Mena due to the elevation and camping can be very pleasant in late September; however, the campground is on the highest peak in the area which exposes it to clouds, fog & storms. We plan to bring our tent this year.

We'll post more info & details as the plans develop for group rides and lunch meet-ups.
Last edited by SwampFox on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
USCA South Central Director
Summer Grove, LA USA
R1100GS with CSM Sidecar
CRF250L + TW200
Burgman with Texas Ranger <Mrs. SwampFox's

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Folks

the dates changed for this Rally. Both Lee and I have corrected out postings above to the correct dates. I wanted people that follow the thread to get the updated information.

We are really hoping for many Urals we come to the rally. I am told that there are many miles of Forest Server Roads in the area. I know that I will be exploring them. Will you be joining me?
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

oklahoma ural

Postby oklahoma ural » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Winding Stairs N.P.S. camp ground is west of the Lodge on the Oklahoma side of the Talimena Drive. I think about twenty miles into Okla. on Highway 1. Its on top of the mountain ride.Be sure to Check with the Forest Service to make sure it is open. I live south of Talimena,70 miles, at 8 mile north of Broken Bow, Okla. I plan on being at ralley. Any one need help close to Broken Bow, I have a trailor and i will head that way. I also know a bail bondsmen if your in real trouble. Lewis Whitten 580-236-1937 cell home 580-494-6372 2012 Patrol

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Lewis thank you for the information and the offer. we look forward to riding many of the roads in the area. what rig are you riding?
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

oklahoma ural

Postby oklahoma ural » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 pm

I have a 2012 Patrol, white in color. live 8 miles north of Broken Bow. We have N.F.S. roads here also. Give me a call if your near by. Lewis 580-494-6372

N75MkIII
Comrade
Comrade

Postby N75MkIII » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Can someone bring something SLOW? A 650 Ural or maybe a Chang Jiang?? I am looking at bring the Dnepr and trying again. Two years ago I went to Holly Park. The off road ride was grand but, trying to ride (keep up ) with some "Kids" on a 750 Ural to Louisiana was a bad idea... A lot of work and hand fitting of parts and it lives again! Well it did day before yesterday. Waiting on one part (the one that holds the Handle Bar to the Tri-head). Change the Front Tire and Tube in the Spare Tire and it will be ready. (Keep your fingers crossed) Jon may get to see a Dnepr run...

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

N75MkIII wrote:Can someone bring something SLOW? A 650 Ural or maybe a Chang Jiang?? I am looking at bring the Dnepr and trying again. Two years ago I went to Holly Park. The off road ride was grand but, trying to ride (keep up ) with some "Kids" on a 750 Ural to Louisiana was a bad idea... A lot of work and hand fitting of parts and it lives again! Well it did day before yesterday. Waiting on one part (the one that holds the Handle Bar to the Tri-head). Change the Front Tire and Tube in the Spare Tire and it will be ready. (Keep your fingers crossed) Jon may get to see a Dnepr run...

N75MkIII - I have wondered how you where doing. it is great that you have posted up and YES we can insure that it is a good enough ride for your bike. there will be time for individuals to break out and explore in small groups too.

It will be great to see you out again.

Kent
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

N75MkIII
Comrade
Comrade

Postby N75MkIII » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:46 am

I have done a lot of riding in Arkansas in the past but, all of it on two wheels and FAST... (75 850 Norton, 73 850 Moto Guzzi, 74 900 BMW/6 Cafe', and a 99 900 Triumph). Even got stopped on the BMW... It would be nice to go slow enough to see what Arkansas look like.

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Howdy N75MkIII...was looking at the map close to where you are, what is that lake by you? How long is the span of that bridge between "Seven Points" and "Gun Barrell City" ? Looks interesting! Are there good eating places around that area? I live in Plano and always want to ride around interesting places close by to ride, eat, ride :hungry: :moto: :hungry: :mrgreen: Tomorrow looks like the weather will be cooperating, planning on taking a ride out your way. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or sumptin'. Whoa...how's the flooding situation out that area? I'm not a good swimmer ya know, I've plugged up all the hole in the Ural...but she won't float for long :mrgreen:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

N75MkIII
Comrade
Comrade

Postby N75MkIII » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:14 am

See Ride Reports "Ural Bridge-Dam dnepr" for more on our lunch run.

wadeinater
Party Member
Party Member

Postby wadeinater » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Looking to attend - coming from El Paso - looks like a good time
2004 Patrol

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 pm

wadeinater wrote:Looking to attend - coming from El Paso - looks like a good time

Ernie it will be great to see you again. :clap:
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

kentsilk

Postby kentsilk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:40 am

Will Rig is in the shop :o . It is looking like the main might be leaking oil on to the clutch. Getting this issue taken care of now so I will not have issues come Rally time.

I pray that everyone is having a good summer and we truly hope to see you all at the gathering. :)
Kent Silk
2011 Gobi Gear UP

N75MkIII
Comrade
Comrade

Postby N75MkIII » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

Would anyone be interested? Depending on weather and Dnepr. Would anyone want to go early or stay late "To Play" (look around in Arkansas)??? Mount Magazine (Highest point in Arkansas), Mt. Nebo (Unbelievable Hill climb), Petit Jean (Car Museum and Mather Lodge Restaurant), ?Hot Springs? (Tourist Trap), and Mulberry River (Great loop, camping and souvenirs). I will be Truck and Trailer, Park and Ride (it's a Dnepr thing), but someone else may want to play in Arkansas... Let me know if you are in.

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”