Cob's 2017 annual escape the NorWet gloom tour.

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
MojaveSidecar
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Cob's 2017 annual escape the NorWet gloom tour.

Postby MojaveSidecar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:27 pm

cpres wrote:Calling So. Cal, let's ride eat and have fun.

Hi Craig

I got your message and the 9th or later is good for me.

Unfortunately, i back burner-ed my Urals and my KLRs until I could get my DRZs up and running. They are my current work in process and I am not sure I will have one ready by the 9th... but worst case, I can use the jeep.

Randy from Wrightwood.
Randy
11 GearUp Gobi
06 GearUp Forest
00 DRZ441 - E plated, Nova Wide Ratio Gear Set, Moto-Mule Trailer
01 KLR/DMC Enduro Sidecar

mr. cob
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby mr. cob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Howdy All,

Today, was my last day staying at Milo's home, as with all the great people I have stayed with I hate for this wonderful time to end, the only thing I hate about doing this annual trip is that all of my good friends are so far away from my home and I only get to see most of them once a year. Tomorrow morning I'll be headed west, I have a secret mission to complete in Kingman Arizona, I'll be checking out something that I have LUSTED all my life for, I do NOT need this item but I WANT it badly. When I look at it part of me hopes that after doing a lot of measuring and comparing between what I now have and what I want I'll pass on this item and go home happy. The other part of me is dreading that my LUST will turn to LOVE and the need to have this item will be irresistible even at its cost. If I succumb to the LUST I'll post photos, if I decide that life is darned good as it is and I'd be better off not adding this beautiful thing to my life I'll be richer financially and won't be left with the problem of disposing of my already trusty and able tow rig.

So after my stop in Kingman, I'll make sure to fuel up truck and toy hauler toy fuel tank whilst still in Arizona so I don't have to buy diesel or gasoline while in California, California has just passed another dramatic increase in fuel taxes and unless I have no choice I will never buy fuel in California again, sadly those who rule the "Peoples Republik of Washington" usually follow closely behind whatever madness of the day possesses the rulers of California and in-act similar burdens upon those who live in the "PRW". Enough politics, it doesn't do any good to 8itch about it but it makes me feel better.

So what did Milo and I do today you might ask, well we started the day with a visit to the Ural dealer in Prescott where Milo inquired about the cost of having a 650cc cam installed in his 750cc engine, Milo wants more torque and installing the 650cc cam is a sure fire, easy cost effective way to get it. Then we returned to MIlo's home where I did some maintenance on my trailer before setting out for a bit of target shooting. Milo sighted in one of his old rifles at 50 yards, I after having found a box of shells for "Lucile" had a lot of FUN shooting at a target 100 yards away. "Lucile" is as deadly as she is beautiful, THANK YOU DaveO, for leaving her to me.

Here's a photo of Milo.

Here's a photo of me and Lucile, look close and you'll see the target way out there.

And so another visit comes to an end, THANK YOU Milo, for hauling my butt down to the big city to get my computer fixed, thank you for the good Ural and Rokon rides, thanks for taking me shooting, thanks for feeding me whilst a guest at your home.

Baring unforeseen circumstances, I'll arrive at Craig's home in Hesperia, late November 8th or fairly early November 9th, stay tuned for further news and information.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:59 am

I just happen to have an 'official' dogtag/keyring that would look really good with a couple of keys on it, hanging from the ignition of the new rig.

2017-11-07 22.48.39.jpg

Ooops....I may have spilled the beans....

:P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 am

tx2sturgis wrote:I just happen to have an 'official' dogtag/keyring that would look really good with a couple of keys on it, hanging from the ignition of the new rig.

2017-11-07 22.48.39.jpg

Ooops....I may have spilled the beans....

:P

Howdy Brian

Well I stopped looked and drove the 379, it's a buetiful truck but like most things that look great in photos upon close personal inspection the flaws start to appear

I got them to drop their asking price 10,000 but not as low as I could see paying for it

They have my number if they would drop another 7,500 I would think real hard about buying it

This is a want it is NOT a need but it would be so darn cool chicken lights chrome and a train horn yup I sure would like to get it at the right price

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 am

Howdy All

I arrived at Craig and Jennies home in Hespria California about an hour ago Craig is cooking some dinner life is good

Dave
Mr. Cob

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Howdy All,

Today's update, not doing much, enjoying the warm weather and blue skies, lots of BS'ing some wrenching, Randy came down to visit and share meal with us last night. Helping Craig swap transmission in his truck, well so far all I have done is hold down a chair and watch him work but I'll dive in and under the truck if needed.

I had planed on stopping at John's home near Clear Lake California, after leaving from Craig's home but the weather forecast calls for rain and low 50's temp wise. So my plans remain unsettled if the weather looks up I'll go to John's home if it turns bad as is predicted I'll just saddle up and head toward home stopping to look at a couple of more trucks on the way. Stay tuned.

Dave
Mr. Cob

MojaveSidecar
Party Member
Party Member

Postby MojaveSidecar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi Dave

It was a pleasure to see you, Jenny, Craig and Newt for dinner the other day. I just wanted to let you know that our discussions about Urals, jeeps, motorcycles and life in general were really helpful to me in prepping for the 2018 riding season.

After a heart to heart with Karen, I decided to switch the order of bike preparation between the Urals and DRZs on focus on getting the Gobi ready to take to the Noob Rally in Death Valley in March instead of the DRZ.. she would prefer I limit my serious dualsport training/riding until after our trip to Europe in April....she doesn't want to be pushing me around Europe in a wheelchair with my leg in a cast. ;-)

That tip about using grease ( I believe) on the valve cover gaskets was great.... since I was just about to order a couple of sets of silicone valve gaskets. I will be installing my Cob skid plate that you built for me several years ago too. What tires do you recommend for the Gobi that will be used to travel to & tour Death Valley and see areas like the Racetrack, Titus Canyon etc.

Have a safe trip home.

Randy from Wrightwood
Randy
11 GearUp Gobi
06 GearUp Forest
00 DRZ441 - E plated, Nova Wide Ratio Gear Set, Moto-Mule Trailer
01 KLR/DMC Enduro Sidecar

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 am

Howdy All,

First up thanks to Randy and Mark and Rosie for stopping by Craig's home to share a meal with us, it was so nice to see you folks again wish it was more then once a year that our trails cross.

We didn't do much riding while I visited at Craig's home this year but we sure got a lot of BS'ing done youbetcha.

However today November 12th we did take a ride out on old Hwy 66, "The Mother Road" to a place called the "Bottle Ranch" some eccentric many years ago started to make trees out of metal pipes and then used bottle as leaves. Quite the unique place, the more you looked, the more strange stuff you became aware of. Here's some photos.

And a short video, click the link.
https://photos.smugmug.com/2017-Fall-Tr ... 6-1920.mp4

We also stopped at an old bar that has been closed for many years.

On the way back to Craig's home we stopped for pizza, an unusual place with pretty darn good pizza. The Lady who was working there took great care of Newt, brought him ice water to drink and some kind of little doggie pizza roll, he loved it.

Later we stopped at a museum dedicated to Hwy 66, I should have taken a lot of photos but it just skipped my mind. However I did have this photo taken in front of a large poster that showed Dogs in a sidecar rig.

Tonight is my last night with Craig and Jennie, such good friends I always enjoy my visit with them. Early tomorrow I leave and head north toward home, my plan was to stop at John's home near Clear Lake in northern California for a couple of days but he lives in the mountains and the weather forecast is for low temperatures and RAIN, so the chances of that visit though still in the plan is getting slimmer with each passing day. I'll check the weather the morning of the 14th and decide then if I'll visit with John.

My plan is to stop and look at a couple of Classic Trucks on the way home so the trip isn't over yet, stay tuned.

Dave
Mr. Cob

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 am

Howdy All

Left from Craig's home in Hespria CA this morning at 7:45am just pulled into the Walmart at Grants Pass OR at 9:15pm, 756.3 miles today not bad for an old Freightliner.

I was going to spend some time with John near Clear Lake CA but the weather was going to be nasty so I called John and cancelled the visit we had hoped to share if the weather had cooperated.

So I will be looking at some trucks on the way home.

Stay tuned it ain't over yet.

Dave
Mr. Cob

cpres
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby cpres » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 pm

https://m.facebook.com/craig.presley.5/ ... 458071984/

Give the link above a look for some pics of the fun, it is public so even non Facebook people should be able to view. We got our kicks on route 66, museum, pizza, wild art, shut down bar with lots of stuff around it, scenic to lane road that runs at Ural speed, yep So. Cal isn't all buildings and 80 MPH superslab. It was a great visit, always good to see loved ones, Dave, Randy, Mark and his sweet wife Rosie all got visiting done, food was cooked, wrenches got turned on my truck and Retro. Dave surprised me with a chance to ride the Predator, what a machine, even with the 750 it is zippy and the balance is great. Looking the Predator over reveals that it is built for his use and makes one wonder if some of his wild ideas will ever migrate into a production rig as the Uralists who push the limits are learning what breaks and what is strong. Of course little Newt got treated outstanding when we did Pizza, The Cross Eyed Cow supplied Newt with treats and a water bowl before we even had our drinks, he was a celebrity, yep we had good food also. Later in the day Newt proved no sticking door was keeping him out of a sidecar, yep he was just chilling in the Retro chair. Way back in 2008 when I was a new Ural owner I allowed Dave to stop in for food and sleep, little did I know the friendships that would be started.

Urals can sure lead to great times.
2007 Ural Retro burning up the road at Ural speed.
Some of my family have asked if Urals come with social lives, I am thinking they do, we have met the nicest people with our Ural.

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 pm

cpres wrote:https://m.facebook.com/craig.presley.5/albums/1952761458071984/

Give the link above a look for some pics of the fun, it is public so even non Facebook people should be able to view.

Viewing is no problem at all! Not very interesting tho....

FBlogin.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

cpres
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby cpres » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
cpres wrote:https://m.facebook.com/craig.presley.5/albums/1952761458071984/

Give the link above a look for some pics of the fun, it is public so even non Facebook people should be able to view.

Viewing is no problem at all! Not very interesting tho....

FBlogin.JPG

I will try again
2007 Ural Retro burning up the road at Ural speed.
Some of my family have asked if Urals come with social lives, I am thinking they do, we have met the nicest people with our Ural.

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 am

Howdy All

Well I am sitting in a restaurant in Ritzville WA 8:pm local time

Looked at a very nice 2001 379 Peterbilt in Portland Oregon

I am now on my way to Heydan ID to get the slide on the camper looked at hoping they will fix the darn thing this time

While I am near Spokane WA I will look at some trucks while the trailer is being worked on

I should be home by Friday stay tuned

Dave
Mr. Cob

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 am

cpres wrote:
I will try again

I think it will probably not work for those of us not on Facebook...its a Facebook thing... :|
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Kaliram
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Kaliram » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 pm

It was a good call not to stop at our place on Cob Mtn. In Lake County CA. It’s currently raining heavily, and flooding is in the forecast. - what a shame, as I shall be missing you and Newt while we’re holed up by the fire.
Current rides: 2016 Ural Gear Up ("Shanti ")
Blasts in the past: 2012 Ural Gear Up ("Tootles"), 2009 KLX250, 2009 KLR650, 2004 BMW R1150GSA, 1966 Honda 305 SuperHawk

Return to “Upcoming Rides & Rallies”