Out of State Gun sale?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Out of State Gun sale?

Postby Lmo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Hey all,

I've got three year old Remington 870 7-round Express Synthetic 12ga., never fired, new in the box. I'd like to turn it into a Glock 26.

Can I go through a local Federal Firearms Dealer to sell it out of state?
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Out of State Gun sale?

Postby on2wheels52 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 pm

There may be some resistance from the other 49 state FFl's to make the transfer. There is additional 'work' involved for them to make the transaction (at least there was 3 years ago while I still had an FFL; I don't imagine things have gotten easier).
'10 Patrol
DL1000 (hacked) DL650 WR250R (x2) plus a few old crocks

rivers

Postby rivers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm

For a private sale all you need is to ship it to a licensed dealer and the buyer has to pick it up there. I had a hand gun from IL shipped to me in WA via my local shop. There was a small fee ($25?) I had to pay the local dealer for his involvement but other than that no legal issues. Mine was shipped via Fedex. This was 10 years ago so don't know if rules have changed? Your local shop will know the drill.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Tin Man » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

rivers wrote:For a private sale all you need is to ship it to a licensed dealer and the buyer has to pick it up there. I had a hand gun from IL shipped to me in WA via my local shop. There was a small fee ($25?) I had to pay the local dealer for his involvement but other than that no legal issues. Mine was shipped via Fedex. This was 10 years ago so don't know if rules have changed? Your local shop will know the drill.

What he said.... :cheers:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Even if it's someone you know? If your buddy in another state wanted to buy it from you, can't you just put it in a box and ship it to him? Maybe throw some shipping insurance on it and have it signed for and have the US Mail deliver it? Why does anyone need to know that you sold someone your gun?

My Father passed away not too long ago and my brother wanted to know if I wanted him to put the old 410 shotgun in the box of woodworking tools he was shipping to me. I wasn't really interested in that old single shot, even though it was the first gun I ever hunted with, so I said no. We never considered any legal requirements in the transfer of the gun or shipping it out of state. :oops:

If it is someone you don't know, then having a gun shop involved makes sense. Is that a law though? Or just a "service" that FFL dealers provide?
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

rivers

Postby rivers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

Niteblues wrote:If it is someone you don't know, then having a gun shop involved makes sense. Is that a law though? Or just a "service" that FFL dealers provide?

When I bought mine it was the law.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Thank guys. Just to be clear, this was rhetorical question, I was speculating that I might find an out of state buyer; i.e. an SS member for example.

The weapon is registered in my name here in California, therefore some trail of "responsibility" is necessary for my own protection. If, for example, it was used in the commission of a felony, it would still be associated with me. Not so good.
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Lew, Suggest you sell it on www.gunbroker.com . You will be able research pricing & shipping rules there, then sign up, & set your minimum bid. You will get nation wide lookers, & probably highest dollar possible. GB doesn't charge much per sale. You will then need to have a friendly local FFL dealer ship to the one the buyer uses in another state, AFTER your paid. Between individuals you can even use PayPal. Usually shipping runs about $30. if you supply the box (leave open for shipper to inspect)
You will make more & save more - buying & selling this way. I do.
Best wishes, C.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Jeepster09
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Jeepster09 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 am

To find buyer use Armslist, to transfer go through dealer after you find buyer.
Jeeps, guns and bikes! :wink:

Return to “The "Other" Toy Box”