Deep Joy Overload

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
GregAus
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Deep Joy Overload

Postby GregAus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 am

dneprlover wrote:
SaskMick wrote:After seeing the damage old fuel can do I will never store a vehicle with fuel in the system.

It's a 1965 ex Chinese army Chang Jiang M1M.

I love everything about it, there is nothing I would change. It's a natural blend of old and new technology.

I got lucky for a change, I'm tickled pink.

Dream on Mate
Actually its a post 1986 M1M . The Chinese didn't manufacture that model until after the introduction of the M1S model in 1985.
And it's never been anywhere near a Chinese army or government depot.

As Dneprlover said, the closest that bike ever went to the PLA or Government depot was driving past. It's like an old axe, the head has been replaced 3 times and the handle six times - but it's still a good "old" axe. :bs: to it being 1965. That doesn't mean it's a bad bike, just keep the :bs: history to a minimum.

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 am

My bike is as old as the hills, of that I have no doubt. I have had to rebuild the forks which were worn out and replace the very old type ball type steering head bearings, it's seen a lot of heavy use over the years. .... I know the 1965 manufacture date is unlikely to be correct, (although that's what it's officially registered as,) it could be even older than that :)

I don't mind the bullshit comments from people who obviously don't have a clue, I'm just happy I have a very nice machine.

The engine has been meticulously run in and it's smooth and powerful with no leaks. I fitted improved carbs which made a big difference.

I form the light,and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Isaih 45:7 KJV

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:50 am

I form the light,and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

ARSE !

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 am

So, whats the significance of the "very old type, ball type steering head bearings" ?
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby stagewex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:06 am

These guys can spot a double-headed nickel 10 miles away when it comes to Dnepr and CJ's.

They are not putting down your beautiful rig, just correcting some it its supposed history.
Used car (and motorcycle) salesmen in the USA and China are the same. Like the "owned by a little old lady..." scenario.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 am

dneprlover wrote:So, whats the significance of the "very old type, ball type steering head bearings" ?

They are not as good as the newer roller bearings.

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:18 am

stagewex wrote:These guys can spot a double-headed nickel 10 miles away when it comes to Dnepr and CJ's.

They are not putting down your beautiful rig, just correcting some it its supposed history.
Used car (and motorcycle) salesmen in the USA and China are the same. Like the "owned by a little old lady..." scenario.

I have not supposed anything about it's history. I know many parts have been replaced with new ones, but the frame and front end is far from new.

ARSE !

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:28 am

Nice rig, whatever its actual provenience is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the knee pads upside down?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 am

SaskMick wrote:
stagewex wrote:These guys can spot a double-headed nickel 10 miles away when it comes to Dnepr and CJ's.

I have not supposed anything about it's history. I know many parts have been replaced with new ones, but the frame and front end is far from new.

But it was rebuilt and updated by Shao Yiqi, did he forget to do the forks, or are they a product of poor quality later than PLA production?

We know taper roller bearings are better than loose balls, but the latter were good enough for the Chinese to fit them as OE until the Chinese emission regulations killed off Chang production in 2003. They are no indication of age.

On a personal note, might I ask how your original home town is getting along without it's idiot, now you have relocated to Canada?
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:47 am

dneprlover wrote:
SaskMick wrote:

But it was rebuilt and updated by Shao Yiqi, did he forget to do the forks, or are they a product of poor quality later than PLA production?

We know taper roller bearings are better than loose balls, but the latter were good enough for the Chinese to fit them as OE until the Chinese emission regulations killed off Chang production in 2003. They are no indication of age.

On a personal note, might I ask how your original home town is getting along without it's idiot, now you have relocated to Canada?

Shao Yiqui used to get anyone to do the work, the person who did mine obviously did not care. Luckily for me I think it was fitted with a new engine. What ever age my bike is I'm not really that bothered, It's an antique regardless of when it was built lol
Last edited by SaskMick on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:50 am

windmill wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the knee pads upside down?

I think you are right. :)

ARSE !

Wildhorse Cafe

Postby Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:54 am

You sure you weren't riding on a cloud. Excellent bike. :clap:
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah, it is really nice, gorgeous in fact.
We ask so little of these Ural, Dnepr or CJ's other than them running nicely. The new imitating the old design or copied design is the attraction. They are not going to gain value due to any provenance rather keep value if kept in proper running condition. I know my 2007 Ural is really a 2007 Ural. But who cares?
I suppose if Mao himself was pictured on a particular CJ and it could be proven that was actually the rig he's sitting on...
Substitute Stalin for Mao for a Russian rig.

Brings to mind an article I read a few months ago in a Watch Magazine while waiting in a Dr's office. Apparently many, many years ago Paul Newman gave his daughters boyfriend a Rolex watch as a gift. Right off his wrist. Because he had been photographed so many times wearing the watch when he was car racing the watch itself had become a Holy Grail to collectors since it never came onto the market. Much of the Newman's assets were auctioned off towards his charity.

The kids never got married but parted as friends and even to this day kept in touch. The boyfriend happened on an article regarding the "lost watch", contacted his old girlfriend and has agreed to let the watch go to auction. Last I read proceeds would go to charity and the watch was valued at way over 1 million dollars.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby propwash » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm

^^ sold for almost 18 million.

Dave1066
Comrade
Comrade