Is oil on the TB Butterflies normal?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Is oil on the TB Butterflies normal?

Postby Kilometers2 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm not trying to start an oil thread on the early 2014 butterflies...as there are lots of posts about some that needed to be replaced. For the most part, my March 2014 Patrol has run rather flawlessly and has 7777Kms. I succumbed last November to getting the new off road map because I wanted to be able to kick start the rig. I noticed right away after getting the off road map in November 2015 that the RPMS at idle where higher. Still, the rig ran pretty well and in February I went on a thousand mile trip. No issues. This past week however, the RPMs at idle have gotten significantly higher, to the point where yesterday I was embarrassed sitting in the after school pick up line to get my stepdaughter. I kept wanting to let the clutch out a little to drop the RPMs and thought of just turning it off and making her come to me. So today I finally do something many of you have done years ago...which is to inspect the throttle body butterflies. The left butterfly was black from oil accumulation...and in comparison the right one looked rather shiny. I went ahead and ordered the Harmonizer (button was up today) and plan on going ahead and getting the new black butterflies and ports.

My question is....should I be alarmed at the oil accumulation on the left butterfly? I'm thinking not, and that the new plates and tuning will fix the issue. When I opened and closed the butterflies
EFI Throttle Body stock Butterfly inspection 12 Mar 2016.jpg
...the left one seem to catch in a slightly open position position and I'm thinking that allowed for the discoloration.

The air filter is pretty clean after 2777kms...so I'm thinking there's not a lot of blow back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Is oil on the TB Butterflies normal?

Postby Wanderrad » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 pm

The blow by doesn't flow through the air filter. It is fed directly to the branch tubes. That being said, I have had oil flow into my TBs since new. I am approaching 10,000km.
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Mine doesn't look black like that, but I do have oil residue in each throttle body from the breather.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks. Maybe I should just clean the butterflies and put them back in, disconnect battery for awhile, and put it all back together and see what happens. Something to do while I am waiting lol
Miles aka Kilometers

FlyingMonkees

Postby FlyingMonkees » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 pm

The left on being black and not the right might be from some backfiring caused by the left side sticking a bit. I noticed mine giving a bit of belching every now and then with the stamped plates (my left seemed to stick more than the right). Interested to see if it clears up after I get the new plates installed in a couple weeks.
2014 Camo Gear Up (Светлана)
2010 Rust Camo Gear Up (Ольга)
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
PA-31

GHGoodwin

Postby GHGoodwin » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:22 am

Some of the binding might be caused by the butterfly return spring locking nut being overtightened. If it is it can pull the spring side of the butterfly and shaft over towards the spring cause the butterfly to catch (rub) on the inside of the TB. Try loosening the nut 1/8th of a turn and see what happens. Locktite is recommended if this works.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks, great tip. I plan to remove the butterflys and clean them today or tomorrow and put them back on. I am still going to order the new butterflies but will check this out and I appreciate the advice. Rig really has run pretty well so the original butterflies may be okay after a cleaning. They're easy enough to get to so it may be something I just do routinely every seven to ten thousand kilometers. I have two trips scheduled for later this month and I don't want to take the bike the two hours one way back to the dealer to adjust the throttle bodies which is why I broke down and ordered the harmonizer yesterday.
Miles aka Kilometers

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:10 am

When you pull the old butterflies to clean them. lay them down on a piece of glass and see if they are bent/warped.

It doesn't take much for those plates to mess up idle and balance.

Darrell - Albuquralque
EFI Map OR 1.02
K&N Air Filter
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:12 am

Will do....Thanks again Darrell
Miles aka Kilometers

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:02 am

Darrell, it's been 8 months since you posted the link for the vacuum port part and I know I'm late to the dance, but when I click on it today it pulls up this part:

10-32x1 fourth Barb Brass.JPG

It doesn't look like the part in your video and because I'm anal at times, and want to do this correctly, I'm thinking that this part has to be ordered too....on one like it...or where you able 8 months ago to order a single item as shown in your video? If so, by any chance do you have the part number filed away somewhere becuase I've not seen anything like it at the Zoro site...but I'm still searching. ....

:?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles aka Kilometers

lomax

Postby lomax » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:15 am

That first picture actually is the correct size part but their picture sucks :lol: I don't remember mine being brass however but it should work fine.

Marc
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm

As Lomax states, it is the correct part, the picture is not of the actual part.

Darrell - Albuquralque
EFI Map OR 1.02
K&N Air Filter

Msblu79

Postby Msblu79 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:36 pm

If you can find a way to vent the crankcase mist to a catch can or to atmosphere it will help a lot. Oil in the intake is not good for the TB's or the intake valves as it will create excessive carbon build-up in the intake ports and on the backside of the intake valve. Over time this will choke the airflow and of course oil mist reduces the octane value of the fuel. Nothing in the intake or fuel metering system need oil to function, it only leads to trouble eventually. Do whatever you can to reduce or eliminate the vent to the airbox, especially if you are still running the cats, they will clog up with oil carbon and stiffle flow. The engine will run better and last longer without the oil mist crap.
2010 Black Patrol

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks guys. Harminizer arrived today and I ordered everything else today. Like others....have to to look around now and ask.....what am I going to do with my Twinmax now....I held on to it when I sold my first Ural because I knew eventually I would have another Ural and need it
Miles aka Kilometers

outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby outrider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 am

Kilometers2 wrote:Thanks guys. Harminizer arrived today and I ordered everything else today. Like others....have to to look around now and ask.....what am I going to do with my Twinmax now....I held on to it when I sold my first Ural because I knew eventually I would have another Ural and need it

I held on to my Twinmax with the same thought, then bought a 2015. Sold it flea market style at the Lee Pape fall ride last fall. Best way clean out the extras and give a fellow Ural rider a deal.
2015 Gear Up

Return to “2014 & Later Model-Specific Wrenching Issues”