HELP! Re: EFI - Where should I be looking please?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: HELP! Re: EFI - Where should I be looking please?

Postby windmill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:49 pm

124c41plus wrote:I'm seriously considering drilling the vacuum ports in my throttle bodies because all we're doing is adjusting the stops on the butterfly valves to let in the right amount of air on one cylinder vs the other.

Risking damaging the throttle body, voiding the warranty on them, and not being able to access the other functions rather than getting the correct tool for the job?

Personally, I think that falls into the penny wise, pound foolish category.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby Albuquralque » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:51 pm

124c41plus wrote:I'm seriously considering drilling the vacuum ports in my throttle bodies because all we're doing is adjusting the stops on the butterfly valves to let in the right amount of air on one cylinder vs the other.

You also need to balance TB's at a higher rpm (somewhere higher than 1800 rpm). This is done by adjusting the throttle cable tension at each TB.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

coyote

Postby coyote » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:
scottmastrocinque wrote:So this is what I was talking about that's confusing to me. So, I don't need the Molex Connectors, I need these instead?

Maybe I shouldn't confuse the issue further, but it did occur to me that, providing you know which of the 4 wires do what, there's nothing to stop you wiring up your own preferred style of connector.

Yes you could change to any connector you want, it would work too, up until you need warranty work and the service tech finds out he can’t connect his fancy tool to your bike cause it’s some non factory connector
:cheers:
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:45 pm

windmill wrote:

Risking damaging the throttle body, voiding the warranty on them, and not being able to access the other functions rather than getting the correct tool for the job?

Albuquralque wrote:
You also need to balance TB's at a higher rpm (somewhere higher than 1800 rpm). This is done by adjusting the throttle cable tension at each TB.

In addition, it just FEELS and LOOKS better to have the laptop and wires (or Bluetooth Connex) to adjust your new EFI Ural. The old "drill TBs" is not getting with the program. If something else develops for the OBD, you would have to change anyway.

JMO

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

scottmastrocinque

Postby scottmastrocinque » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm

:lurker: :lurker: :lurker:

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
- Scott -

2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara - "Ekaterina"
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX - "Stella"
1997 Moto Guzzi V-10 Centauro - "Clelia"
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution - "Chiara"

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi. :cheers:

windmill

Postby windmill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 pm

siberman1 wrote:
windmill wrote:

Albuquralque wrote:

In addition, it just FEELS and LOOKS better to have the laptop and wires (or Bluetooth Connex) to adjust your new EFI Ural. The old "drill TBs" is not getting with the program. If something else develops for the OBD, you would have to change anyway.

JMO

YMMV

Since I have the Bluetooth version, I can use my smart phone which means I can also monitor data real time while riding like cylinder temperature or fuel economy.

Even a used efi rig is fairly expensive, It just doesn't make economic sense to cut corners. If one really doesn't want to move with the times, there's always nice carbed rigs available for sale.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

124c41plus
Comrade
Comrade

Postby 124c41plus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

fffffffffff ... Eghhh... fine. I'm crimping my cables and I'll check back with you guys when it's all finished :P
2016 Ural Ambassador
Orlando, Florida

windmill

Postby windmill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 pm

124c41plus wrote:fffffffffff ... Eghhh... fine. I'm crimping my cables and I'll check back with you guys when it's all finished :P

My M70 is my first efi bike, so it was a bit of a learning experience for me, but well worth it. :thumbsup:
Barry

2018 M70

scottmastrocinque

Postby scottmastrocinque » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 pm

All my parts have arrived and I will craft the cable tomorrow. Exciting stuff! :D
- Scott -

2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara - "Ekaterina"
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX - "Stella"
1997 Moto Guzzi V-10 Centauro - "Clelia"
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution - "Chiara"

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi. :cheers:

Return to “2014 & Later Model-Specific Wrenching Issues”