Where's Windmill, a ST test ride

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Where's Windmill, a ST test ride

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 am

Sitting in the driveway, ready to go, lets see what this thing can do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 am

:lurker:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby markhas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 am

:lurker: :moto: :boogie:
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Welcome to Oregon, so far 300Km on the nose. This bike kicks a$$, it will cruse 70-75mph with ease, not even working it, 60 in 4th feels like Your are lugging it.

Sometimes picks up a tiny bit of head shake at about 74 ish, about like catching bad air off of a car, in traffic its not noticeable. A steering damper might be the ticket, or another degree of rake, hard to tell, its minor.

The stock bars need to go, to high, and wide, feels like My hands are in My lap.

Well back to the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Eugene, Or, 509 km, bikes fine, neck sore.

The torque the engine has is sweet, rarely need to shift, 4th is good from 45, to top speed, I took it up to 85 for a couple of miles, Engine felt/sounded like My patrol does at 55.

It accelerates about the same as a KLR, but has tons more torque. Vibration is a little more noticeable than My patrol, but still what You would expect from a boxer engine.
Barry

2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Grants Pass, Or, 664km, Hit some rain, and sleet, no problem. Bike is still good to go, for long days like this, a windscreen would be nice. Hit some mountains, it will hold 70 mph with ease, and will even accelerate for passing. no need to make any excuses for this bike
Last edited by windmill on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

2018 M70

Uralite
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Twisties?

Postby Uralite » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Hey Windmill,

How does it handle in the twisties? If I am gonna have a solo, it needs to settle nice and pull hard through the corners.

I don't expect a GSXR1000, but it must feel spirted and pull. 8)

Enjoy the ride, do you think some more standard or cafe bars are the ticket? I imagine a real neutral sitting position with just a slight bit of forward sitting.
2000 Deco (blue), SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol- sold

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 pm

Very cool! :) How's the seat? Do you think a Solo seat with a small seat on the rear fender would work? What about shifting? Smooth (relatively speaking)? Would Old style Triumph style handle bars with risers do? How's the rear disk brake?
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Yreka, Ca, 794km, This bike handles the twisties real well, it has a short wheel base, and carries its weight low, its suspension is top shelf stuff. The brakes are fantastic, very strong and progressive. Any handle bar that suits You would work, standard, MX, or clubman. The seat is average, but it isn't the seat it will come with. The engine pulls like a older Guzzi 750.
Barry

2018 M70

cpres
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby cpres » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Keep it up, why don't you? I already have a Buell that I love but have neglected due to life and the Retro. Let us know how you really feel about this little project Ural is mixed up with. I am thinking that if the bars gave you a slight lean forward you would not be looking for a windshield.
2007 Ural Retro burning up the road at Ural speed.
Some of my family have asked if Urals come with social lives, I am thinking they do, we have met the nicest people with our Ural.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Dorris, Ca, 915 km. Ive had enough for one day, 13 hrs of riding is a days work. I fricking love this bike, if it weren't for the fact that it is dark, and in the low 30's, I would have kept on going. Made it to Shasta Ca. Now I'm heading Northeast out of Weed Ca.

The ST is a riders bike, plain and simple, If You are worried about its looks, You don't get it. The stock bars are ok for around town, but back road, or highway the bars need to be changed. Standard bars, like on a Bandit, or Enfield would be perfect. other than the need for a steering damper, I have no complaints.

I never felt the need for more power, or speed, passing a car or truck going 70 was no problem. twist the wrist, and 80 is right there when you need it. The more I think about it, the more the performance reminds me of the 883 Sportster that I had, but without the vibration.

Tomorrow I will beheading north through central Or, and Wa. I've had My fill of freeways, time for some fun roads

Yea, I wimped, it's to cold to sleep out, got a cheap room.
Barry

2018 M70

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 am

Awesome!

:drool:

I'm totally jealous....I also don't think the road test is complete as far as IMWA marketing goes. I believe they need to test it out East as well.
...my address is on file- Ilya, just let me know when/where you want me to pick it up.
:wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Spicy McHaggis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 am

Okay...so I've got a 2008 Honda XR650L that is now for sale... :lol:

Gotta make some room - and $$$ - for the next Ural to hit my garage.

mr. cob
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby mr. cob » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:08 am

Ride on Windmill, RIDE ON. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Sunriver, Or, The weather started out in the 20's, and dry in Ca. It has warmed up some, but the snow is getting bad, and I had to stop due to poor visibility. The ST handles the snow, and slush fine, but it don't matter if You cant see. For now I will hang in a coffee shop till it lets up, supposed to change to rain before noon, Bend is only 12 miles, and the roads are clear from then on.
Barry

2018 M70

Return to “Ride Reports”