Texas to Tuktoyaktuk

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
mightymatt43
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby mightymatt43 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 pm

berger wrote:You guys have seen the only parts of my country that I have not been too, and I am very envious. My wife braved the trip up the Tundra highway on some shitty roads, so I she might be up for this. :D

Great report Matt, and if you ever get to Ontario be sure to drop me a line.

it's totally worth it for the scenery and to experience the pure wild of the Dempster. your wife would love it! we'll definitely give you a holler if we get close.

mightymatt43

Re: Clean Bike

Postby mightymatt43 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:31 pm

KB5UGN wrote:I know some people may think it blasphemous, but w@$# that stuff off earliest. That stuff was on my '98 GS for years.

i honestly had to. it was absolutely caked with mud and i was afraid that things might get overheated. it's not clean and i'm not sure that it ever will be. awesome.

mightymatt43

Re: Clean Bike

Postby mightymatt43 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
KB5UGN wrote:I know some people may think it blasphemous, but w@$# that stuff off earliest. That stuff was on my '98 GS for years.

You guys NEED to w@$# that stuff off. It's not just mud. It's calcium chloride (SALT) and it's now in every single possible place of the Ural that it can be. It'll start rusting that thing quickly.

i had a feeling it might. plus, my front brake isn't working very well and it's amazingly squeaky just because it's packed with mud. nasty stuff, man.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:00 pm

mightymatt43 wrote:
we definitely are going to be a bit more conservative now - it was a bit more action than kristen was looking for. thanks!
I dont know if it was the angle of the photo or what, But it looks like a rather small bear. I saw several in a garbage dump in Kodiak, sitting in a big truck they looked as big as a small car. I suppose they will look much bigger in person. :shock:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Spicy McHaggis » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 am

windmill wrote:I dont know if it was the angle of the photo or what, But it looks like a rather small bear. I saw several in a garbage dump in Kodiak, sitting in a big truck they looked as big as a small car. I suppose they will look much bigger in person. :shock:

That's cuz the bear you saw was a Kodiak brown bear. Their encounter was with an interior grizzly bear. Nowhere near as big as the ones that I call my neighbors...!

mightymatt43

Postby mightymatt43 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Entry 18
Inuvik, like all the communities of the north, is a phenomenon of fortitude. To live here, you have to expect extremes in everything. The weather can be brutally cold and is constantly changing, in the summer months the sun never sets and in the dead of winter it never rises, the bugs are unbearably persistent, the cost of goods are tremendous and services are hard to come by. All in all, this is a rugged place and the people have to match the land in intensity or move away. And though many that live here are short of tongue and quite a few have turned to alcohol for comfort, we were constantly amazed by how willing everyone was to lend help or advice. Because of this, we met a ton of folks who we will never forget.
We chose a place called The Arctic Chalet to stay mainly because they raise sled dogs for tours and races in the winter. There were so many and we were shocked at how well they were trained. The only time we ever heard them bark was when they were being fed or walked. We are definitely interested in coming back during the winter.
We decided to stay for a couple of days as we were interested in getting a flight to Tuktoyaktuk. There is no road to this community on the Arctic Ocean except in winter when the rivers freeze over. But after going to the airport and seeing the price tag on such a flight ($800!!), we decided that Inuvik would be our final destination on this trip. We would have loved to see a community that is so isolated and marvel at how they are able to survive in the harshest of conditions, but another trip will be needed for that purpose.
So, after touring the town, taking a hike, cleaning the air filter (I'm pretty sure we captured half the Dempster in the filter), playing with the pups, sharing the chalet with a kind Japanese family and French girl, and resting we decided to head south for the first time in 3 weeks. It was a bit bittersweet, to be honest. And as we got back on the Dempster the amazing reality of going all the way back home set in. Wow. We have to go all the way back. Ouch.
On our way to our first stop at Fort McPherson, we saw a moose on the road, which absolutely shocked us with its size. Those things are huge!
After our first ferry, we headed into town and filed up with gas after eating a quick lunch. As we were standing outside, preparing to leave, a couple of native boys came and became very interested in the bike. In fact, they were ready to trade their bikes for our Ural when a minivan pulled up and a familiar camera appeared.
Out popped a woman named Rita Leistner, a Canadian photojournalist who is working on a project focusing on native communities of the north for the 2010 Olympics. After snapping a few pics of us, she happily invited us to tag along while she went to visit some of her new friends at a fish camp down by the next ferry. We followed her to an area of town we would have never seen otherwise and subsequently met two of the funniest, sharpest old women we've ever encountered.
These 2 sisters were 94 and 96 and have never lived in the city. "Inuvik makes me dizzy because of the traffic", on told us. (Mind you, Inuvik only has a population of 3500). They were both friendly and needed no encouragement to tell us stories of their life in the north. These communities survive primarily off the land without modern amenities. It's a tough way to live and we were really moved by both of them.
Before we could leave they both walked out to the street to see Elga (which was no simple task). "Be careful! This thing is dangerous!" they both said, in a fashion only a grandmother could. And so we left the fish camp and Rita and took away another amazing experience to add to our adventure.
The rest of the day was painful. We had clear skies up until the second ferry but were greeted with freezing rain, thick fog, and muddy roads all the way to Eagle Plains. We were both soaked (my hands and feet especially - I need riding boots) and couldn't believe we would have to endure another full day on the Dempster before reaching Dawson. After persuading the staff to feed us (which was no easy task) we went to bed, sore and tired.

mbspyder
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mbspyder » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Very Nice! :lurker:
I know it's only my opinion, but I know I'm right!

Mark

In The Garage:
2002 Vespa ET2 (Sold)
2005 Stella/Vespa PX (Tangerine) "Tang"
2006 Ural Patrol (Woodland Green) "Mr Krabs" (Sold)

My Blog: http://www.markbarrette-atservicesofflo ... gspot.com/

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pidgey » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:18 pm

How R you guys doing? Hopefully you got your issues with the rig sorted.
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD

SRoy
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SRoy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 am

Long time no news! Where are you guys?

SRoy
2009 Sahara "Layka"
128/42 jets for now, living at 1040m

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three." -Alice Kahn

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Spicy McHaggis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 am

SRoy wrote:Long time no news! Where are you guys?

SRoy

Looks like they are in/just south of Jasper tonight (Sunday).

Sarge
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Sarge » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 am

Hey there Kris & Matt

I hope things are going well for you both. The weather forecast is looking a tad chilly in your neck of the woods right now. By the way I want to purchase two Tee Shirts from your web site, do you ship to Canada??

Stay safe and god speed

Chris aka Sarge
Last edited by Sarge on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Canadian Dispatch Rider Motorcycle Club
HQ- Comox BC

http://www.canadiandispatchrider.com

Syzygy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Syzygy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:16 am

Nice riding dude.

The other tall Uralist,
Syzygy
If four wheels move the body and two wheels move the soul, then three wheels do what?

mightymatt43

Postby mightymatt43 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:42 pm

pidgey wrote:How R you guys doing? Hopefully you got your issues with the rig sorted.

we did some things sorted and we're back in the states... safe and sound.

mightymatt43

Postby mightymatt43 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 pm

SRoy wrote:Long time no news! Where are you guys?

SRoy

yeah, sorry about that. we've had a run of bad luck with hotels and their internet connections. i'll be posting some new stuff soon.

mightymatt43

Postby mightymatt43 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Sarge wrote:Hey there Kris & Matt

I hope things are going well for you both. The weather forecast is looking a tad chilly in your neck of the woods right now. By the way I want to purchase two Tee Shirts from your web site, do you ship to Canada??

Stay safe and god speed

Chris aka Sarge

we're doing well - back in the USA. we did hit some pretty nasty weather though... glad to be a bit south. and thanks for the interest in the shirts! my best buddy back in San Antonio is a design guy (he does everything - clothes, web, etc) and he is making the shirts. he told me today that shipping to Canada is no big deal. that would be great if you decide to order some!

----word to the wise - he prints on American Apparel t-shirts, which are fantastic quality but they run a bit small. i would order up a size...

Return to “Ride Reports”