Ride Report

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
tubarick
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Ride Report

Postby tubarick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Laurel Ridge Sign.jpg
RIDE REPORT MAR 11 2016
Unfortunately, one of my Ural Friends suffered a loss in his family. The Memorial services were held today in Laurel Springs, NC.
I left Garner, NC on my 2009 Ural “T” at 5:30 AM. The temperature in Garner was in the low ‘60’s and it wasn’t necessary to bundle up. Leaving that early, I avoided rush hour traffic down I-40 through to Winston Salem. From there I took US 421 to North Wilkesboro. There was very little wind, so driving the rig was relatively easy at highway speeds. I was able to maintain posted speed limits lower than 70 (rig top speed is 65) without a problem until ascending hills. The 40 hp Ural will not pull a steep hill and you just have to accept that. I took NC 18 up to the Blue Ridge and arrived in Laurel Springs around 0940.
I had time to spare so I visited Camp Laurel Ridge, where I was a Summer Camp Counselor in 2014. Since no one seemed to be around, I drove the rig to the top of the mountain on the camp grounds. I would much rather drive up than walk up, believe me. I took a break at the Moravian Conference Center and took advantage of the lobby’s covered entrance as a rain shower passed through then attended the services at Laurel Springs Baptist Church. I was happy to see another Ural owner from Albemarle there to support our friend. I also got reacquainted with his nephew, who owns a heavily customized 2003 Ural Retro Solo, with a customized sidecar.
After the interment, I drove to the nearby Thistle Meadow Winery and bought a few bottles of wine to restock our small wine rack. The very nice woman working there showed me some new packaging they are using (wine in a bag, basically) for backpackers, paddlers and motorcyclists. It’s a really good idea, but I pointed out that I could go ahead and buy bottles since I could stow them in the sidecar.
There are two establishments in Laurel Springs, near the Blue Ridge Parkway, which advertise their services to motorcyclists, but they were closed, including the restaurant which advertised that they opened at 9:00 AM. Oh, well. Oh, Hell.
Rather than travel down US-421 and I-40 again – just in time for Triad and Triangle evening rush hour - I took NC 115 from N. Wilkesboro then NC 901 to Mocksville where I intersected US 64. I travelled down US 64 to Apex and so on to Garner. I had NC 115 and 901 to myself and I really enjoyed the drive. The traffic in Asheboro was a real headache - unsynchronized traffic lights and heavy traffic (Can you say “fast food and restaurant rich environment, boys and girls?”).
Overall it was a really enjoyable trip. No distracted drivers. No close calls. No breakdowns, no leaks.
Time out: 0530
Time in: 1930 (14 hours – approx. 11 in the saddle.)
Distance: 604 km (375 mi)
Fuel: 11.5 gal
Consumption: 52.5 kpg/32.6 mpg
Road kill: 1 deer; 3 skunks; 3 raccoons; 1 buzzard; 4,753 possums.
Honorable Mention goes to the gray squirrel which ran in front of my rig and avoided all three wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tubarick on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Рик Гаптилл
2009 Ural T
2003 Ural M81030 650 2WD
1971 BMW R75/5

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Ride Report

Postby WEGUNTER » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Rick, great ride report and a good route back down.

Bill

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Nice!
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Niteblues wrote:Nice!

+1.....:thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Return to “Ride Reports”