Ural Demo Day - Bluemoon Cycle, Norcross, Ga

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Ural Demo Day - Bluemoon Cycle, Norcross, Ga

Postby BigJames » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:23 pm

It was a successful day for Bluemoon. There were 3 of us from the club giving folks rides on Urals if they did not have a motorcycle license and some VERY basic training for those with a motorcycle license. An Urban Camo gear up got sold and another one is in the works. I rode 2 bikes I really should not have (EFI Retro and cT...cT wanted to go) repeatedly. Want to see pictures? Gotta go to Bluemoon's Facebook or Intagram pages for those. Haven't been able to talk them into interacting here, working on it. I did shoot some of my typically boring videos of the Retro flying down the slab (at high Ural speed) proving that a properly set up Ural can in fact keep up with traffic...

The way there in the moderate cold...got there before the customers...

The way home, that started with a UDF that included Russians...and ride with a higher count of brain dead cagers...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

BigJames

Re: Ural Demo Day - Bluemoon Cycle, Norcross, Ga

Postby BigJames » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Forgot about this...also assisted getting a Ural with a badly out of whack set up get straight. The rear mount was marked correctly, but appeared to have slipped about 4 inches and was tight. Was jammed in so good had to pull the sidecar to loosen up the rear mount enough to move. All scratched their heads on that one... Mount was returned to correct position. Owner said he found some lose bolts, was not impressed. I said if that is all that goes wrong, he is doing fine and keep on checking for lose bolts, there will be more... That and I'll be going back up there after the John (the dealer) goes to Daytona Thursday to figure out what in the hell their former computer guy left them with... If John is there it just makes things complicated...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

keetmanaa
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby keetmanaa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Wow! I-75, I-285, and I-85., Good to know my Ural can take it, once my "15 is broken-in.
I'm glad to hear the open house went well, even though the notice went out late (mine came on that Friday) but even so I wouldn't have made it as I was "Uraling" Saturday up in Fannin County.
Last edited by keetmanaa on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Gear Up
2010 Yamaha WR250R
2004 DL650 V Strom

Odyssey44
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Odyssey44 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:23 am

Cool ride- both directions. Thx for sharing, BigJames.
2002 Ural Bavarian Classic~ 'Ody'

1969 BSA Lighting

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:18 am

Looks like a blast. Wish I'd known about it.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Believe me, John wishes you had heard about it too! It got started when Bluemoon packed up their Urals and took them to a gun show. Had +50 folks show interest in coming to the shop and checking them out. We are talking giving names and address interested. Started out as invitation only because that many people would have been tough to take on 4 rigs let alone a Ural free for all. Invitations went out, and nothing. Eventually 4 folks responded that they may come and the event was already set up and cleared by IMWA (so I was told). I found out about it the day I posted it here. Also posted it to my club site and that was about it. Saying that, it went well. They plan on doing this 4 or 5 times a year and they will be better advertised. They've already sold more Urals this year than last when they were a full blown BMW/MV/Steib/(don't bring up ERB please)/Ural/RE dealer and it is only March. The dealer actually likes Urals, the 2WD and cT at least. He doesn't get the Retro though. Being surrounded by antique BMWs that look an awful lot like my beloved Retro all the time may have something to do with that... No one is perfect I guess...

Also discovered that a cT and Retro fit through Bluemoon's showroom doors with less than an inch on each side. Coincidence (doors were there years before he was a Ural dealer), I think not.

and yeah, the Retro wanted to go on the way home! Had to throttle her back going up hill couple of times!
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

Return to “Ride Reports”