First snow ride!!

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Gunship1

First snow ride!!

Postby Gunship1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Had her in the snow today for the first time. I grew up riding motorcycles and racing everything on two wheels but his was a whole new experience. I learned a lot in a very short time. I thought about putting some weight in the sidecar to make the 2WD dig better but I didn't want to have to deal with it if I piled it up or ended up in the ditch someplace so I went empty. I went up a pretty steep grade on a seasonal road here by my house and with some common sense, was able to pick my line to help chew my way around the packed ice. The way back down however was a whole different story. I didn't dare do it without the 2WD engaged because I thought if I needed the speed and power to get me out of trouble quickly I would want it. I learned I must keep my nose in some sort of traction no matter what because on all ice I couldn't use the rear end to help steer me at all. I realize that the windshield on the sidecar is in the way when you're trying to climb all over that thing as you are grasping for skyhooks to keep it shiny side up. I now know I want a shift lever kit so that I can go in and out of 2WD and reverse easier. Please tell me where to get tire chains and which shifter kit is the best. I have been reading on here for weeks trying to decide if I wanted a shifter kit but now that I know I do and I still don't know which one to get. My son and I took her out on a ride on Christmas day just so we could say that we did but there was no snow in sight. For upstate New York this mild winter has had me thinking more about this beautiful machine than the four snowmobiles that are parked next to her .
https://www.facebook.com/jamie.arnold.5 ... 144779419/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gunship1 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what I don't know.....
2009 Gear-Up in calf poop brown.

Gunship1

Re: First snow ride!!

Postby Gunship1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:43 pm

I don't know what I don't know.....
2009 Gear-Up in calf poop brown.

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby siberman1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Speedometer broken?
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:35 am

No like button :(

SO :thumbsup:
2003 Gear-Up

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Tin Man » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 am

Well done sir!
Here is a bit of info for you ref the tire chains you seek: :foilhead:

Here is one place you can buy them. There may be others that I am not aware of:
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=3166

Back in 2010 a bunch of us did this group buy:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14955&hilit=tire+chains

And here is just one of the several available threads concerning their installation/use:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42314&hilit=chains

Using the search feature (upper right corner of the page) will yield much info.
Just type in the words tire chains and then stand back..... :cheers:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Return to “Ride Reports”