Planning a trip to the tip of South America

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Planning a trip to the tip of South America

Postby Subsnowden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:34 am

I have a lot of life things up in the air right but I figured I would start this thread now because you can never start planning too early. I initially plan on taking some long distance trips around the US and probably mostly sticking to the eastern US. After that and some rest I want to take my rig from Texas to the tip of South America. Any ideas, tips, and warnings are welcome. And even some ride alongs! It won't be happening for probably a year is my best guess but I'm already getting almost completely consumed by the idea.
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Planning a trip to the tip of South America

Postby WEGUNTER » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:26 am

Canadian couple out of Calgary did it a couple of years ago. think their ride report is archived here.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Tin Man » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 am

Had a husband and wife team do something similar back in 2009 when they travelled from Texas up to the northernmost ? town in The Northwest Territories . :foilhead: IMHO it is on of the best ride reports I have ever seen with some fantastic photos taken by the wife, who just happened to be a professional photographer. . :clap:
On page 14 they address some of the "lessons learned" (which I reprinted below).......but make sure to read the entire thing because it is very well done and has some good info for anyone considering such a trek.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8577&hilit=tuktoyaktuk

1. pack less
2. need lighter camping gear
3. need lockable cases for gear on bike besides trunk
4. straps bought from WalMart are worthless
5. air filter loves to be clean and will throw a fit if dirty
6. riding boots that are not waterproof are worthless
7. my wife is hardcore
8. Rev'it Gear is worth the money
9. being prepared for everything is worth the hassle
10. experience = healthy bike
more trips = more experience = happy matt

:foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby stagewex » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:50 am

You'll enjoy "Ramblings of a Uralogist" from AdRider from a few years ago. USA Cross Country:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... ls.781149/

On the going thru South America part I see several posts on the BMW sites where the danger is not necessarily the bike vs. the environment anymore rather the rider vs. who you run into on the way down. Lots of banditos that prey on American Adventurers. Grab a couple partners if you are going that route. Your family will appreciate it.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

rivers

Postby rivers » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Haven't bike traveled in S.A. but been in and worked out of few countries down there. Love S.A, great people, great food, spectacular scenery, mediocre roads. For a bit of homework sake PM me your mail address and I'll send you some basic travel guides. They're Lonely Planet guides for the budget traveler. Not the current editions so the prices will have changed but worth reading. Doubt Ural parts are easy to get down there so build up a stash of wear items before you leave.
Joe
014 GU
'No redeeming social value.'

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Take more then 2 days for Costa Rica (like a German I met a few month ago) and I would love to guide you through NICE mountain serpentine and backroad areas.
I cannot understand that so many guys just flip through the country on the straight boring roads and beaches...there is a lot to discover.
Nicaragua is very nice and safe. same in Panama.(except Colon)
The most hassle are border crossings.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 36.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

milesmcewing
Comrade
Comrade

Postby milesmcewing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello All;

Wegunter - That was us.

More than happy to provide advice. Just ask away.

If you prefer, you can always email me and we can have a conversation. We have another couple from here heading out in June for Argentina on their Ural as well.

As Sven said the most hassle was border crossings. Not from problems, just that there are lots of them!

Cheers,
Miles
2009 Flat Black Patrol
www.smilesandmiles.com

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Check into if any countries you intend to visit require a carnet.
Joe
014 GU

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Great advice all. I will be doing the trip solo and will not be limiting myself with any time limits. I look forward to conversing with those with experiences as I am able to get some more concrete plans developed. Keep it up guys! :cheers:
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

milesmcewing
Comrade
Comrade

Postby milesmcewing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:08 pm

You do not need a carnet for any of the central or south American countries.
2009 Flat Black Patrol
www.smilesandmiles.com

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:15 pm

milesmcewing wrote:You do not need a carnet for any of the central or south American countries.

Awesome. Good to know. Thank you
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 am

No idea what a Carnet is. I guess a valid vehicle insurance.
General insurance and vehicle tax for the journey time should be covered inside your home state.
Anyway at each border they will charge you a new (minimum limit) insurance policy for the time you will stay inside the new country.
These insurances will not cover much, so better have your cover from your home insurance and get a written proof of that they will cover other countries too. Just like when you go to Canada, where you have to show at the border a proof of insurance that includes Canada.

Other thing: get a owners certification for international journeys at your property register or DMV. (I cannot even leave the country without this certification from national property register.)
I am no professional in this stuff, but have had this in my head from my own few journeys.
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 36.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Carnet- Manifest (what you are bringing along).
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

milesmcewing
Comrade
Comrade

Postby milesmcewing » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:18 pm

A carnet is a 'guarantee' that you will leave the country with your vehicle, it is basically a document that guarantees the value of import duties and taxes for countries you may visit without having to pay all of the taxes etc on your vehicle/equipment.

Each country has its own insurance requirements - once you leave Can/USA your North American vehicle insurance is no good. The incountry policies are actually very good and they usually have a representative at the border crossing who sells the policies. Some countries have a policy which cover several countries depending on which one you buy. Peru and Ecuador had a phone booth at the crossing which hooked you directly to the insurance company to facilitate the policy.

All of them were quite inexpensive, Nicaragua was $12 US at our cheapest and If I remember correctly Peru was the most expensive at about $80US for 3 months. Full coverage in Peru including medical. Argentina has free healthcare regardless of nationality - when my wife injured her eye we walked straight into an excellent care facility that did not even ask to see her ID.

Your local vehicle registration is good everywhere to show - even in Europe and Africa for us (Europe required a green card for insurance which we got in Bulgaria and was good in all of western Europe - did not try it in the east so I'm not sure of that part.

Some advice-
Scan and laminate a copy of your registration and keep an email version online as well.
Make sure your passport has lots of free pages, a lot of the countries will use up a page documenting your vehicle in your passport to make sure you leave with it. I completely filled an empty 25 page passport by time we hit Europe.

Recent Carnet information:
http://overlandingassociation.org/carnet-de-passage/
2009 Flat Black Patrol
www.smilesandmiles.com

rivers

Postby rivers » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Just a though check what if any entrance/exit fees are. Chile used to charge US citzens $100USD(cash only) entrance fee. good for multiple visits for a year. If they still do that tape the receipt into your passport. It's smaller than a postage stamp and super easy to lose. You'll be glad on your return trip.
Joe
014 GU

Return to “Ride Reports”