Had a husband and wife team do something similar back in 2009 when they travelled from Texas up to the northernmost ? town in The Northwest Territories .
IMHO it is on of the best ride reports I have ever seen with some fantastic photos taken by the wife, who just happened to be a professional photographer. .
On page 14 they address some of the "lessons learned" (which I reprinted below).......but make sure to read the entire thing because it is very well done and has some good info for anyone considering such a trek.viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8577&hilit=tuktoyaktuk
1. pack less
2. need lighter camping gear
3. need lockable cases for gear on bike besides trunk
4. straps bought from WalMart are worthless
5. air filter loves to be clean and will throw a fit if dirty
6. riding boots that are not waterproof are worthless
7. my wife is hardcore
8. Rev'it Gear is worth the money
9. being prepared for everything is worth the hassle
10. experience = healthy bike
more trips = more experience = happy matt