MA/NH ride - First ride report

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
jesse

MA/NH ride - First ride report

Postby jesse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:49 pm

I picked up a 2015 Gear Up a couple months ago and have just over 600km on it. The temperature was in the high 40's yesterday, so my daughter and I decided to take a ride. We took the back roads from Westford, MA up to Peterborough, NH. It was a beautiful day. We have a Sena wireless radio setup in our helmets so we can talk along the way. I am really enjoying the bike. It is a blast to ride and we have even been out a few times in the snow to test out the 2WD.

I went over the top of Temple mountain at ~50MPH in 3rd gear. It is a pretty steep climb by East coast standards. I did not want to push it much harder in 3rd and it was just too steep for 4th. To be honest, I have not really found a good use for 4th gear other than going downhill at 50+. When do folks use 4th?

We ran into Tom on his Ural in Groton, MA while were out. I was surprised to see him pull into the parking lot to say hello. Tom, if you are reading this, I apologize for not being able to chat. My daughter was quite hungry and we were up against a deadline to make it to our favorite chocolate shop. If anyone is local, I highly recommend checking out Vicuna (http://www.vicunachocolate.com). They are a bean to bar chocolate shop in Peterborough, NH.

Here is a picture of my daughter and the bike in front of the store.

And if anyone is addicted to chocolate, here is the salted chocolate chip cookie, brownie with nibs on top, and coffee with a shot of drinking chocolate in it.

- Jesse
Last edited by jesse on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Re: MA/NH ride - First ride report

Postby MartyL » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

harryball
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby harryball » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Congrats, welcome to the insanity that is Uraling. Looks like you have a firm grasp on the concept, keep the speed down to Ural speed! I use 4th gear all the time, sometimes I wish for a 5th. I normally cruise about 55 mph on the highway, currently my top speed with a tailwind is about 62mph.

Have fun, stay safe!
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula"
2010 - Patrol - "Pat"
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

jesse

Postby jesse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 pm

"Ural speed" is just fine with me. I am not interested in riding on the highway. Other than a couple miles of 50mph, we were on back roads all the time. The best part was about a 20 minute section in each direction where we did not see any other cars!

Jesse

VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby VWK75S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:08 am

Hope you're not afraid to come to Maine.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 125,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S

jesse

Postby jesse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:27 am

John

Thankfully I am not afraid of Maine! Our family does a lot of day trips to Maine (in the car). We have been considering taking the bike for a road trip up to Acadia this summer. The highway ride through MA and NH just seems really boring on the bike. It is a little over an hour at car speed for me to get to Kittery.

We really enjoy the drive along the water up the coast to Perkin's Cove to walk Marginal Way. If you have other recommendations on areas to ride in Maine, I would love to hear them! This will be our first summer making some of those trips in the bike.

Jesse

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby siberman1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

jesse wrote:I picked up a 2015 Gear Up a couple months ago and have just over 600km on it. The temperature was in the high 40's yesterday, so my daughter and I decided to take a ride. We took the back roads from Westford, MA up to Peterborough, NH. It was a beautiful day. We have a Sena wireless radio setup in our helmets so we can talk along the way.
- Jesse

What kind of Sena? Cost, degree of difficulty, require special helmet liners?, cost, where, etc?? Curious.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Wildhorse Cafe

Postby Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 pm

That ride would be too fattening for me. :lol: Very envious.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

jesse

Postby jesse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:05 pm

siberman1 wrote:
jesse wrote:I picked up a 2015 Gear Up a couple months ago and have just over 600km on it. The temperature was in the high 40's yesterday, so my daughter and I decided to take a ride. We took the back roads from Westford, MA up to Peterborough, NH. It was a beautiful day. We have a Sena wireless radio setup in our helmets so we can talk along the way.
- Jesse

What kind of Sena? Cost, degree of difficulty, require special helmet liners?, cost, where, etc?? Curious.

YMMV

I have one Sena 20S and a pair of SMH-10 radios. I am very happy with them so far. I bought them all from Revzilla. They were a little less expensive than amazon. I think it was around $500 for all 3, but it looks like the prices have gone up a little (or maybe I have a couple, I don't remember).
20S - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-20s-bluetooth-headset
SMH-10 - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10-universal-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

I run the 20S and the SMH-10 units are in our other two helmets. One is for my wife and one for my daughter. I got the 20S because I want to be able to hear a GPS instruction without having it drop the 3=way intercom setup.

These little radios have a pile of features, but I only use a couple. It would be complex to learn and memorize all of the features. They are easy enough to pair to each other and that allows a 3-way intercom with just a couple button pushes. It also pairs with my phone and plays GPS instructions from waze. I have not tried the intercom and the instructions at the same time yet. The multi-audio is the key feature in the 20S that I wanted because I did not want the GPS instructions to interrupt the intercom each time it spoke. We are likely to need to talk with each other when coming to an intersection and I did not want that to get cut off by the "Turn left in 500 feet" messages.

We all have Shoei RF1200 helmets and the radios were simple to install. No special parts are required. I am a bit "detail oriented," so I ran all of the wires behind the padding and I don't even notice them. The radios have a small bracket that attaches to the side of the helmets and is secured with a couple small allen head bolts. It is simple to plug the radio in or detach it to charge. (The batteries have been excellent. I have run them for several hours straight and they still claim well over 50% charge.) The RF1200 has sockets for speakers, but unfortunately the Sena speakers did not fit. The speakers have extremely effective Velcro style hooks on the back that nearly glue themselves to the padding inside the helmet. I adjusted them a few times to get them to a point where I did not feel them bumping my ears and they have stayed in place since. I ride with ear plugs and I have no problem hearing the speakers.

I hope that helps. I am happy to answer more questions if you have them.

- Jesse

Return to “Ride Reports”