Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
tmcdonald0429
Comrade
Comrade

Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route

Postby tmcdonald0429 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Hello all. I am trying to figure out if the IDBDR is doable on my Ural GU and I would like to know if anyone has done it. I have done the OBDR already and I've done several other adventure rides on two wheels. I'm really wondering about the elevation and things that I should have with me specific to the Ural (such as replacement parts and things). Last summer my bike ran great, despite terrible fuel economy (a problem that has since been solved). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route

Postby siberman1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:26 pm

Well, after a few Google searches I still do not see an ACTUAL MAP of the IDBCR. I saw a general one on:
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/idaho ... ute-idbdr/ . It looks like #1 thru #4 are fairly easy. #7-8-Canada are also fairly easy IIRC.

What year, model Ural do you have? How many Km? What tires? No dealers here. No parts here. Whatever you take, something else will break.

I know that the Continental Divide Trail is OK with a Ural. If you can post an actual "readable" map or route names, whatever, I may be able to help you out. I plan on the CDT with my GU. Here is the CDT with rebelpacket:
rebelpacket: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/u ... ogs.906932
rebelpacket: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29561&hilit=continental

I'd be interested in joining you if things/details can be arranged. I plan some shake-down rides like Moab to see what works, what doesn't, meet Mr. Cob's scrutiny, etc. When do you plan this event?

curious

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:41 pm

I found this photo. Not very good if you ask me. If this happens, you are stuck. Opinions?

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

tmcdonald0429
Comrade
Comrade

Postby tmcdonald0429 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:22 am

I saw that photo as well:). I am thinking with all of the roads out there, a bypass might be possible. I have the actual map from Touratech, but I am not sure how to post it. Touratech has a website dedicated to the different back country routes they have created (http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/IDBDR) . They claim Idaho is the easiest, but this bridge might make things interesting.

I plan on going in early August. The only other window I have is in the middle of June, but I'm figuring snow pack will be an issue. I have a 2007 Gear Up and it has been very reliable so far. I know the PO changed out the final drive right before I bought it. It now has 16,000 km on it. Seems to be running better and better. I bought it with almost seven last summer and I've been riding it all over. It currently has the Duro 308s on it all the way around. They are what I used on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route this last summer. They seemed to be good. I did the Continental Divide ride on my Strom a few years back, and the TAT on my KLR a couple of times several years ago. I'd ride my Ural on either of those I think. Nothing too technical, with the exception of a couple sections in Colorado maybe.

Basically, I am addicted to the Ural. I could do the ride on another bike, but I don't want to. I think I'd like to at least give it a shot. A buddy of mine is interested in doing the ride on his KLR with me, so at least I would have someone to go for help:).

tmcdonald0429
Comrade
Comrade

Postby tmcdonald0429 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 am

Siberman1,
Are you going down to Moab this spring? Moab is the best. I have ridden down then on two wheels many times. You'll have to post pics and report on how the trip goes.

outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby outrider » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

I'll be waiting to see how you get around those concrete blocks as well, I'm planning a 4 to 6 week ride with my buddy and our wives in 2017 all over Idaho. Collecting as much info ahead of time.
2015 Gear Up

muzhik
Comrade
Comrade

Postby muzhik » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 am

siberman1 wrote:I found this photo. Not very good if you ask me. If this happens, you are stuck. Opinions?

YMMV

That's the bridge on the North Fork of the Boise River, Road Creek Rd 376. No problems just cross on Swanholm Rd 327.
"Drifting left and flying right"
2013 Gobi Gear Up

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 am

You could always fly the chair really high through :lol:
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

lpenney
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lpenney » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm

muzhik wrote:
siberman1 wrote:I found this photo. Not very good if you ask me. If this happens, you are stuck. Opinions?

YMMV

That's the bridge on the North Fork of the Boise River, Road Creek Rd 376. No problems just cross on Swanholm Rd 327.

I agree with Muzhik. That's the bridge that crosses the North Fork of the Boise River near Barber Flat.

Instead of taking that road, you come in off of 156/Phifer Creek and go pretty much straight across to 327/Swanholm Road Cutoff and follow that to 384 and turn right to pick up the IBDR again. It would be much easier, too. I rode my TW200 on 156 where the bridge is closed some years back when it was still open to vehicle traffic. It was pretty tough in places.

If that's the only bridge blockage on the route, then it is easily navigated to avoid it.

I've ridden some of those roads, mostly 327 and 384, and it is pretty good road. It is dirt/gravel that is graded once or twice a year. Your biggest challenges in this area are washboards and potholes. It is tiring but passable.

tmcdonald0429, if you plan to do this part of the route, PM me and maybe we can meet up for part of it.

Best of luck with your planning.
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 Yamaha TW200 (gone but not forgotten)

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:20 pm

..snip... PM me and maybe we can meet up for part of it...snip...

I'm up for anyone doing something like this in Idaho or on the CDT. Home, garage + workspace also for someone just passing through Idaho - over on the Yellowstone side.

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

IdahoRenegade
Comrade
Comrade

Postby IdahoRenegade » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:58 pm

I just saw this thread and it peaked my interest. I did the IDBDR on a bike in 2015 and had a great time. Did any of you end up doing it on a Ural?

As mentioned above, the "50 inch bridge" is an issue, but there is a bypass. There is one other section that might be "sporty" on a Ural. 30 miles or so south of Avery (St. Joe River) is the "Blue Heaven Cabin". The trail up to that is somewhat rocky and a bit narrow, IIRC. Not positive if it would be a problem on a Ural or not. If so, there is a bypass as well. The remaining 1400 or so miles would be easy. We met someone doing it with a Ford Raptor (pickup).
2007 Gear Up
2012 Triumph Rocket III
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:36 am

Howdy All,

If anyone does this ride, please post up WHEN your going to do it, if I am in the area I'd like to tag along. Thanks.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:14 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

If anyone does this ride, please post up WHEN your going to do it, if I am in the area I'd like to tag along. Thanks.

Dave

Ditto

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

IdahoRenegade
Comrade
Comrade

Postby IdahoRenegade » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:52 pm

I'd be interested in riding some of the northern part with any of you that do it this summer. Would love to do the whole route again, but don't have that much vacation time. I'll be doing the BOM1000 on the Tiger so there goes a week. I have an alternate route n. of I-90 that takes you along the south shore of Lake Pend Oreille that has some amazing views that the BDR misses.
2007 Gear Up
2012 Triumph Rocket III
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

Plan on July. From a distance things will look like midsummer night's dream in June but then 1/4 mile from the top of a pass there will be a big drift of snow. (with dry road just 50 yards away...) Also, good to wait a bit for the Magruder Corridor and Lolo trail, that way all the outfitters will have cleared off the fallen trees. Also, the road from the Salmon river over Horse Pass to the E. fork of the Bitterroot is really changeable. Went over it one year and it was a forest highway, the next, 3 foot deep rain ruts and large silt flows over the road. The local ranger district offices usually have the best idea but when you call be sure to have the official forest service road #.
Technology is using the best tool for the job. Skill is doing the same job with a hammer.
2014 Ural Gear Up "Seven of Nine"
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

Return to “Ride Reports”