Touring the Himalayas

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Tashi Nima

Re: Touring the Himalayas

Postby Tashi Nima » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:12 am

harleych wrote:fly to Delhi. take a bus to Manali. There are hundreds of Enfields for rent in the foothills of the Himalayas. with your native english lang. very easy to travel in India. I see one problem for pensioners: there are not sidecars in India (I saw couple times in megapolis)

Hi Harleych, i wouldn't advise renting motorcycles especially if you are a pensioner, one of the disadvantages/advantages of having a back up vehicle and a mechanic is having to help rented bike riders on adventure routes in India. I realize its not there fault as there are no such strict laws forcing renters to provide helplines or back ups or maintaining there motorcycles to adventure tour standards.

An Irish elderly couple stuck 2 km down the Khardung La at 17000ft with a flat and slightly rusted spokes which snapped when the tyre got punctured.

Loading another rented bike onto our back vehicle. The group was so helpful to help load the bike and they are all Pensioners hahahah :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another hiccup is if you rent bikes in Leh you can't ride them in Himachal and Himachal bikes can't be ridden in Leh. Motorcycle rent companies fighting over marked territories.

[img]https://scontent.fdel1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/10492141_10202963993793647_6295701045498624192_n.jpg?oh=100f19138055ebcdf9984754400ff1e6&oe=5760B446[img]

harleych
Party Member
Party Member

Postby harleych » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Tashi Nima, people are different. we always ride with spare tube and pump. spark plug and some wrench. also by second bike possible find help, but usually not need help.

harleych
Party Member
Party Member

Postby harleych » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:01 pm

country side mechanics are very simple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Hope this isn't off topic but I can't think of a better, simpler, easier to fix bike for banging around the wilds of India on than a 500 bullet.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

misplacedyank
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby misplacedyank » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm

this sounds like a lot of fun to me!
Todd

2014 Ural Gear Up "Masha" (Маша)
2012 Genuine Stella 4T with Sidecar

Tashi Nima

Postby Tashi Nima » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:07 am

harleych wrote:Tashi Nima, people are different. we always ride with spare tube and pump. spark plug and some wrench. also by second bike possible find help, but usually not need help.

Thats a cool picture Harleych, that number plate tells me this was a bike from the late 80's, was it? I agree people are different. good you carry your own spares.

Tashi Nima

Postby Tashi Nima » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 am

rivers wrote:Hope this isn't off topic but I can't think of a better, simpler, easier to fix bike for banging around the wilds of India on than a 500 bullet.

Youre right, Royal Enfield is best for Indian roads. People on my tours usually have big bikes like ST1300, GS or Goldwings and are amazed how easy the Royal Enfield is to ride around. The roads are narrower and traffic filtering is a must, so its perfect. the new bikes now have EFI which has really changed how the bike behaves. Its a lot easier to use much more instant power. Sad thing is that with these changes local mechanics cant really do much with the new electrical system on the bike

Tashi Nima

Postby Tashi Nima » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 am

misplacedyank wrote:this sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Fun and Adventurous

harleych
Party Member
Party Member

Postby harleych » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 am

Enfield need for two person or in mountains. for single person in other indian site 125 cc is enough. once (Kasaragod) we had problem with black ignition box on bullet electra. it was Friday evening. we spent in gasthouse till Monday morning - waited shop open. nearest bullet club all members used points ignition.

the sign we drew themselves. used new blank plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ride Reports”