Polar Bear Challenge

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
RichardM
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Polar Bear Challenge

Postby RichardM » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:54 pm

47 km (29.2 miles) @ -2°F. An unusual evening ride submission. Unlike just a month ago, it's no longer dark at 5:30pm. The video is just part of the evening ride but as it got darker, it was hard to see much anyway.

--
2012 Ural Patrol
1983 BMW R100RT w/Cozy sidecar
http://blog.machida.us

RichardM
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby RichardM » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:33 pm

21 km (13.0 miles) @ -9°F. Just a short ride about half an hour before sunrise just to get something to post. This may be the last of the PBC videos for me...

--
2012 Ural Patrol

tooluser55
Comrade
Comrade

Postby tooluser55 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:23 am

I have forest service approved 2 into 1 left side pipes I would tell anyone in the future to get them up the right side it makes changing the tire easier. Snow in Oregon is all about elevation. I live in a small town at the bottom of some really good off road riding areas.

RichardM
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby RichardM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Since I wasn't able to use the Ural to finish the Polar Bear Challenge due to engine problems, #53 was the last PBC ride with the Ural but I finished up with #54 through #61 on my '83 R100RT airhead rig with Cozy Rocket sidecar. It's a different experience riding the airhead. Higher gearing so more clutch slippage is needed to get going and you don't go into 4th unless you're above 50 mph. I don't even bother with 5th as it puts too much end load on the output bearing shaft due to the helical cut of the gear. The modest difference in HP is enough to really out accelerate the Ural and the RT fairing is head and shoulders above just the windshield and leg protectors. My legs and feet aren't even cold after an hour at below 0°F temperatures at highway speed. No wind noise in my helmet but the heated grips only have one setting. On. But the Ural is much more pleasant to drive. Easier starts especially on hills. More weight on the pusher translates to less tire spin. And much, much lighter steering due to the reduced trail. The BMW has no steering mods.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The BMW rig is about 6" wider and is much more stable than the Ural. Not just around right turns but even going straight down the highway.

--
2012 Ural Patrol

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 am

Jeeeze how long does Winter last? :lol: It's was in the low 80's this past Sunday around here, and the low is mid 50's today :P
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

RichardM
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby RichardM » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Mothra35 wrote:Jeeeze how long does Winter last? :lol: It's was in the low 80's this past Sunday around here, and the low is mid 50's today :P

Winter? Another month or so but this is by far the mildest winter we've had in the 34 years I've lived here. January and February usually brings temperatures down into the -60°F range. This year the coldest was something like -20°F.
--
2012 Ural Patrol

Return to “Ride Reports”