Where_TF is WTF_Chuck?!?

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Where_TF is WTF_Chuck?!?

Postby Lee Pape » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am

I know of a brand new Patrol in Sussex, Wisconsin where the owner likes his beer. Maybe that should be your next home. His handle is Outrider on here. He is not a new Ural owner he just has a new Ural. But then again maybe you could live with whom ever gets the Jay Gray RPOC award next June at the 3x3x3. It is another hard luck trophy.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Hmm, I have not had a flat or lost all my tail lights at once (and on a Retro that is a real PITA because the tail light is TRW/Lucas, yeah that Lucas, and uses non standard bulbs! Well standard for a mid 60's British car...), a flat tire (thanks Chuck, that was fun/expensive in Canada with no spare, have one now) or FD blow out or really any problem at all with the Retro since Chuck moved to the left coast... Interesting...and you took him to IMWA? Lord help us! Please tell me you did not let him out of your sight! If you didn't Sunnyboy will be pi$$ed at the increase of warranty repairs! Was really heart broken to see him shattered into an almost humble state... he's kinda like Darth Vadar now, more JB Weld than GNOME. Hang in there Chuck, you'll get the RTW trip you've always wanted some day. And not the type Muzzleflash envisioned, in a box via USPS and Russia Post...but on a Ural.
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

GO.WARCAT
Party Member
Party Member

Postby GO.WARCAT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:31 pm

WTF_Chuck told me (he never asks) to let everybody know that he’s working on his September recap. The little bass turd is busy wasting time instead of upholding his end of the bargain.

Lee Pape: I still owe you an email about my WI Trip, too. I'll blame being Chuck's tender on my lack of replies.

BigJames: Yeah, I about soiled myself when ol’Chuck jumped (HE JUMPED!!!) from that stack of tires. I honestly didn’t think I’d get him back together. I even thought about swapping him, “goldfish” style. I impressed myself w/his rebuild. If you didn’t know what had happened to him … you’d probably never be able to tell. It’s that good of a repair/paint job if I do say so myself! And yeah, he went to IMWA. A few times now. He is never allowed out of my sight though!! What is this RTW trip that he’s always wanted?
Tracy

2009 Gear-Up Sahara; WARCAT

WTF_Chuck
Comrade
Comrade

Postby WTF_Chuck » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 am

As I sit here drinking a Schöfferhofer I try to remember that kind of September … September? How long ago was that? Yeah, I’m behind. September was SOFA KING busy for me. And I mean BUSY! I’m finally getting a chance to catch my bearded-gnome breath. As bad as it may be!

I will try to make these recaps as painless as I can … yet mildly interesting as well. As always, grab a pint. That’s what I did. It helps ease things along.

That motorcycle event we went to last month (August)? Made their cover page baby!!

Labor Day meant it was time to get things together for the annual military display weekend at Ft. Worden located in Port Townsend. Normally I don’t get to do on these adventures but I promised to stay in the tent the entire time (mainly because I’m a creeper). Seeing what happened in August on the garage floor … I’m still not trusted off of the sidecar.
Pre Flight:
… and THIS isn’t the riding arrangement I remember agreeing to! We took the ferry up and over. The best was hearing everybody comment on how loaded the Ural was. Good thing they didn’t get closer to get a whiff of me! I would have showed them what "loaded" was really like!
We spent Thursday afternoon through Monday morning at this event. My tender, Tracy, spent the entire weekend suited up like a WWII Soviet Soldier and gave rides to anybody who wanted them and some who didn’t. Here I am w/a collection of various types of military vehicles. And yes! I drug my bits across every one that was parked there.
I probably won’t be here for next year’s event so I’m glad I got to be a part of this one. Events like these are important to draw in the crowds. I hope next year is just as successful as this one was. As you can see I had my own medical staff as well. These people are getting wise to me!

The following weeked after Labor Day was like trying to fix 10 lbs. of cat crap in a 5 lb. bag. Not only was it the 2015 National Ural Rally Day but Tracy also got invited to assist w/a Mad Max cosplay photo shoot. Did she do both? Of course she did because that’s how she rolls. The photo shoot was over at the Beverley Sand Dunes which is on the way to Yakima and in-between BFE. Of course the convoy rally point was at a brewery.
Here is a photo of WARCAT all Mad Max’ed out:
I wasn’t allowed to fart around w/the DP-28 machine gun at all nor was I allowed out on the dunes. Wish I had one of the professional photographs to show but they haven’t been released yet. Needless to say it was too hot out there. Good thing I don’t wear pants because they probably would have melted off and I would have gotten sand all up in my crack. The Ural Rally consisted of the pre-flight check, the ride to/from the dunes and a bunch of photographs. Not the most stellar of rallies but another one for the books never-the-less. Make fun when and where you can … that’s what I always say! And if you can’t make fun of your situation … make fun of the ones you are with.

On the 14th we took the Ural and drove it three-up to a Weird Al concert. You can get much weirder than that. I had to spend the evening in the trunk so somebody wouldn’t walk off w/me.
Here is my view of the concert:

There was a little time to knock the dirt off to get ready for the new dirt that would be applied soon.

No! I didn’t break anything! It was simply time for a new tire. Geez! Have a little faith!

Another weekend another annual event! This one was called Fungal in the Jungle. I guess Tracy has been going to this one for 3 or 4 years now. This year we had another Ural join us from Oregon. This was the same fella who made it to the MBUR Rally. It was great having another Ural in camp and even more so to bomb down the trails with.
But they are NERDS I tell you! NERDS! You know what they did for a good part of Saturday? They geocached. Do you know what that is? It’s a treasure hunting game where you utilize multimillion dollar satellites to find Tupperware™ in the woods. I crap you negative!! I can’t remember how many of them they ended up finding that day but I hope this doesn’t become a new obsession.

Time for another bath! The weekends come and go rather quickly around here these days. Need to be pretty spotless for this next event.

Oyster Run 2015! Tracy has been going to this since she obtained WARCAT in 2009. We headed our way to Port Angeles Friday after work. Stocked up on beer, set up camp, time for a whiskey and time for beer. Great way to spend a Friday.
The Oyster Run isn’t technically until Sunday so Saturday was fair game. What did we do? We geocached all damn day.
1st things 1st. Tracy takes WARCAT’s photo in the same spot every year:
If anything this geocaching nonsense really got us out and about through town. We never left the city limits, put on over 50 clicks and cached for close to 10 hours. Holy hell! Now I’m talking like a nerd!
We finally stopped back in town for a beer and a bite though. Streets were packed! Didn’t see any other Urals or any other sidecars for that matter.
Finally another Ural showed up at camp. Things are about to get real!
Oyster Run Sunday!! This year was an extra special one because the organizers of The Oyster Run contacted Tracy. They were looking for a sidecar willing to give a ride. Seems there were these two 70+ year old ladies who wanted to ride in sidecars for a birthday wish. I guess they are going through their bucket list finding adventures to do every year on their birthday. As luck would have it today was Gloria’s 71st birthday and she was Tracy’s passenger. Her sister Audrey road w/Jason (who was more than happy to assist during this all important mission). They got more than they had hoped for. They each had their own person driver, their own sidecar, they got to go to one of the biggest motorcycle gatherings here in the Pacific Northwest and then out for, you guessed it, beers. Now I’m normally a jerk of a gnome but I must say I felt pretty honored to be a part of this ride. They got Ural Tshirts for joining us, Tracy gave them both Oyster Run ride pins and Gloria even got a bouquet of flowers for her birthday. To tell you the truth I couldn’t think of a better event to close out October!
Once the ladies departed for home what did Tracy and Jason do? Ugh! GEOCACHING! AGAIN! NERDS! They cached the rest of the day Sunday and then they cached all the way home through Monday. Hey! If I have to deal w/it … so do you!

What else is there for that month? Ah, yes! A trip to the dump to drop off the beer bottle “collection”!
Urals are a true utility vehicle! The thing sure earns it’s keep!

So that was my September. See why it’s taken me so long to catch up? I’m still in detox and suffering from the lack of sleep. I don't even want to think about my need to recap October yet. I many need to stock the beer fridge 1st.

Don’t go anywhere. I’ll be back to cover October before November is over.
Last edited by WTF_Chuck on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan Rider
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Ivan Rider » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Good Job Chuck
Ivan Rider AKA: Dennis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanrider/
5 Urals - White 2010 SoloT, White '08 Retro, Blue '05 Troyka & OD '99 Patrol
3 BMWs 2 with Sidecars & 1 Solo
2 Honda Big Ruckus's -1 Solo & 1 w/ Sidecar

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Sounds a awesome month of riding & caching :)
Watch out Chuck that geocaching is VERY addictive & will take you to some very cool places.
2003 Gear-Up

VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby VWK75S » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:23 am

:lurker: John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 130,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:43 pm

This talk of Gnomes is disconcerting. I find they are best left to tending the garden. I have heard through various sources that Gnomes can often present sociopathic behaviour when removed from their arborial habitat. This combined with alcohol and/or psychotropic chemicals can create one pi$$ed off little asshat. This may explain his occasional outbursts of mechanical sabotage.
I am intrigued that there is another Uralistas living just a stones throw from my home in Bonney Lake and if possible would be interested in this group of riders that seek craft brewery nirvana. Have you been to Elk head brewery in Buckley? I hear legend of a rider of the fair sex that occasionally visits the place but I assumed this was merely a tall tale of drunken old men. PM me, let's ride, but leave that vertically challenged little psychopath at home.
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Chuck....................you evil little bastard. See you are leading more innocents down the road of corruption. Repent your evil ways gnome and wander your clay filled a$$ back this aways so we can show you the true religion. Signed: the tribe that spawned you.

WTF_Chuck
Comrade
Comrade

Postby WTF_Chuck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Where was I? Ah, yes! October. Not wanting to fall behind again I better knock out last month’s recap before the New Year gets here. This will be easier for me to tackle because I wasn’t as busy as I had been over the summer. I’m not complaining! I’m not complaining at all! Tracy called it her “free style” month because the month wasn’t scheduled out and booked beforehand.

With a vacation day set for October 5th what did Tracy do on her day off? She ran errands with WARCAT (note the cat litter on the luggage rack) and geocached along the way (of course, why wouldn’t she). Which basically means we almost got stuck out in the back-forty all for a blue plastic mountain lion and other worthless crap. But hey! Who am I to judge?
“Oh, boy! You found a rock! Good for you!”
Gave a random stranger a sidecar ride and who shows up? The 5-0!! Thought for sure Tracy was going to get a ticket (for flying the car in the parking lot) but the cop just stopped to get a better look at the thing. He was super cool about everything, too. “Nice gnome!”, he said as he drove off. I wanted to grab my crotch but my seatbelt bungie prevented me from showing my true colors.
The outing was worth it because we returned home w/some adult root beers. Have you had this stuff yet?? I plan on making a root beer float w/this stuff in short order.
And then the day was wrapped up at the local watering hole. Soup of the Day – WHISKEY.

Had some random, weekday evening-outings as well.
Parking in Seattle sucks but not w/a Ural! These things can fit in just about any space available. "MOTO CYCLES ONLY?" For the price of parking how about TWO spaces just for us!! BLAMO!
She only takes me to the best places:
After all of this there was still time for a photo opp w/Lenin. When in doubt park on the sidewalk.
Evening wasn’t over yet. We managed to make it to Backfire Night Moto Night in Ballard on Marty McFly Day
(October 21st, 2015).

Another random sidecar ride given to visitors from out of state. The passengers get the best view (… of my arse!).

Grit City Moto Night featured my mug for their motorcycle night again so we just had to make an appearance. I insisted upon it!
ImageImage
We were the 1st ones there and slowly others started to appear.
Another Ural even showed up. And let me just say this right here … I did NOT tough his rig! Plain and simple.

What else was there this month?
More geocaching.
Tracy was trying to do this Mt. Rainier treasure hunt (ended up being 50 specific geo-finds all around the mountain). She took me out one weekend from day break to late into the evening. She was able to collect 15 of them (this geocaching is no joke). We got caught in a storm but she just kept on going until the mission was complete.
And then this happened. A noise. More of a rattle. Stopped a few times but couldn’t located where it was coming form. Of course I got blamed for it. Finally Tracy realized that the light housing came apart. In order to get to it the entire faring had to come off. Did she have the tools? Sure! Did she know how? Sure! Did she take care of business alongside the forest service road? HELL NO! She used a bungie because daylight was burning. She had geocaches to find! We were on some serious washboard roads so no wonder that thing rattled apart. See?! IT WASN’T ME THIS TIME!

WARCAT turned 6 on October 13th. No cake. No beer. No streaking.

As if one geocaching weekend in the rain wasn’t enough. Out we go again.
Holy hell it’s SOFA KING early!!!! We got up this early to hunt Tupperwear™???
Mt. Rainier is back there. Somewhere.
Soon this dry bed will be flooded … like my pants.
THIS is what she considers “fun”? It’s cold, wet, windy and there is NO beer to be found … anywhere!
I’ll take credit for this one. We had time for some brutal off road trails while we were out in the wild. Some trails I told her not to go up but did she listen to me? Nope. She never does. Can’t say that I blame her. I wouldn’t listen to me either. Regardless, THIS happened. That is a stress fracture on the opposite side to where the faring mounting bracket is. I told her I wanted to go home!
Did we go home? Nope. Out came that bungie again and we just kept on Uraling. Found this cool place along the way though.

She has already talked to a welder about the faring and this will be patched up in no time flat I’m sure. Good thing she got schooled on how paint over the summer! Technically she should have already taken this to that guy because once we got home I managed to jack up some more stuff. This one is 100% on me as well.
I thought for sure she would be on the sidelines for a spell after this one but WARCAT will not fall! Good! Let her drive around w/o a fairing in the rain in the winter while it gets repaired! See if I care! I try to take the sidecar out of service for a short time to give her time to get the fairing repaired and nooooooo! It’s back in action almost immediately. See what I get for trying to help out??

Well, there is my October for ya. Halloween happened in there somewhere but I didn’t get invited to the party so screw it. I was also part of a big geo-event w/a BMW. These two dorks spent the entire freakin’ day hunting 20 finds to win a stupid coin but not one photo was taken of me so screw that, too. I won’t report on that either.

If it wasn’t for all the crap I break I’d start to take this stuff personally.

See you in December when I report on November. If you need anything from me between now and then … get w/my parole officer.
Last edited by WTF_Chuck on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

GO.WARCAT
Party Member
Party Member

Postby GO.WARCAT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:01 pm

*waves* Hi Ivan Rider!!

Cateyetech - I've totally caught the geocaching bug (see what I did there?). I absolutely love it and you're right! You get to see some areas that you'd never even thought about seeing all because of this little game! Right now I'm going for the 365 days of caching. I'm on day 52. Why stop now??

Casty62 - I sent you a PM. Lets meet at Elk Head for a pint some time! I love that place!

Wegunter - I plan on releasing Chuck in June (after I have him for a year). My thoughts were to take him to my home state of Wisconsin but nothing is set in stone. Maybe we can set up a Ural daisy chain to get him cross country for his next adventure?
Tracy

2009 Gear-Up Sahara; WARCAT

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:39 am

Chuck mentioned that he wanted to go on an 'Round The World trip back when he plagued, I mean stayed with us a few months a few years ago. We did take him out of the country, but couldn't find any Canadian Uralistas to take him and US Customs let him come back in without papers...may be some ADV type on a Ural might help him fulfill that wish...we have no immigration policy for gnomes it seems.
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

WTF_Chuck
Comrade
Comrade

Postby WTF_Chuck » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:16 pm

November, here and gone already. Santa’s elves are all fired up this time of year. They have presents to ram into a sack. I slow down. Not as much energy goes into filling socks with coal. There isn’t a lot for me to catch you all up on this time around. But go get a reading-beer anyway. I’ll wait here.

The 1st Saturday of the month was chalked full of entertainment. We got invited to TWO parties! Both were on Saturday but at different times so things worked out perfectly! The 1st was a pre-flight to the opening of a new brewery. Well, the brewery has been around for a while but they moved to a new location (much bigger). Tracy wasn’t going to be unable to attend their grand opening so they had a special opening just for her! I guess it pays to be loyal to a brewery.

The 2nd party was later that night. This one was an anniversary party for The Ravens, a Seattle ride group. It was POURING but that didn’t stop her or her BMW friend Rich. Their philosophy is simple; you don’t show up at a motorcycle party without a motorcycle.
^^this photo^^ was taken by Daniel Zetterstorm who photographed the event. I think he captured my true essence.

Mid-month we did some brewery hopping w/the W ash. T.U.B. group. It’s always good to get together with friends!

Another W ash. T.U.B. meeting followed that weekend (just a limited gathering this day) and Tracy’s hack monkey tally got chalked up to 700th! That’s kind of a big deal.

And then? MORE geocaching after that. Freakin’ NERDS.
^^^Tracy’s new friend Joan snapped this action shot.
The pub we stopped at for dinner had some interesting ‘art work’ embedded in the tables. I found one that resembled me in my younger years:

Thanksgiving was fun. Having four days off allowed for lots of Uraling. The rig got an oil change but other than that? ZERO ISSUES to report for this month. You’re welcome.
They managed to find another beer named after me though:

On the last day of the month what exciting things were planned? Geocaching. 27 finds in one day. I wish I could have been ½ as excited as she was for her new record but I was freezing my gnome bits off all day. I was happy to go back to the garage once it was all over with.

Looking FWD: to what December will bring. It's been a slow start but I have faith! I hear there is some white stuff up in the mountains already. WEEEEEEEE!!! I can't wait to write my name in the snow. Speaking of which, that beer is kicking in. Time to go water some plants. Hope you are all having as much fun as I am, but I doubt it! I don't wear pants.

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:33 pm

If WTF-Chuck want to go east, maybe let him get to Yellowstone or Idaho Falls area -- Baikal Ural going to Moab. There will be some CO and maybe NE Uralistas to help Chuck continue east...

Of course, Chuck missed his opportunity to ride along to Vladivostok. I was going east, but does that count so far east as to be west? Dunno.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

WTF_Chuck
Comrade
Comrade

Postby WTF_Chuck » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:57 pm

December got off to such a slow start. So slow that Tracy had time to play some stupid internet game w/her friends and I ended up becoming the butt of the joke. Nice. And they wonder why I’m pi$$ed off all the time.

DRAW SOMETHING, WTF_Chuck Style:
ImageImage

Finally, on the 19th, the W ash. T.U.B. crew got together for a trek over the mountain passes. The plan was to go over Snoqualmie Pass, then Blewett, take over Leavenworth then head home over Stevens Pass. Did we make it? Nope. 10 miles from Leavenworth there was a bad crash, which backed up traffic for HOURS. Instead of wasting valuable drinking time the T.U.B. crew turned around and headed back the same way they had just traveled. Good thing, too! One of the rigs in the group was having issues and needed some mechanical attention. Of course I got blamed. None of this hindered the party. We managed to get it to where it needed to be, got in a great ride and even had some beers to boot. Everybody left happy. I had to sit outside while everybody was laughing it up w/Santa Clause and some freakin’ elves inside. Screw those guys.

Recap of a recap with PHOTOS this time …
Started at The Double R Diner in Twin Peaks. So it’s actually Twede’s Café in North Bend but whatever:

Then over to Northern Exposure, er, Roslyn.
Traffic! All because of that accident.

We found a place to turn around which allowed me time for a quick Irish coffee.

This also gave us some time for road side tinkerings (and typical UDF).

Fun was still had by all. Again, I wasn’t allowed inside but at least I received honorable mention in the photo.

And what would a monthly re-cap be w/o some geocaching stories? Probably perfect but we did some of that, too. Ran up into the mountains, down some forest service trails and ended up at the Headquarters Tavern. I think the last time I was there I got asked to leave so I played it safe this time by staying outside. I’m starting to see a theme here. This outing was way more trial riding than geocaching and we didn’t even get stuck. All hail the 2WD!

Then one last ride for 2015. If anything the weather was outstanding! Ended up catching a ferry and watched the sunset.

Yes, December was quiet. All I broke was the fuel can holder. Again. I should open up a line of bungie cords and random supplies: WTF_Chuck’s Bungies, Duct Tape Accessories & Jock Strap Laundering Supplies.

With that I leave you with this *taps the mic* “IS THIS THING ON!?!?” I’ll check back again in a month. Go w@$# your hands.
Last edited by WTF_Chuck on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ride Reports”