Bugs On My Face goes to Oz

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
mightymatt43
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Bugs On My Face goes to Oz

Postby mightymatt43 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:53 am

Ladies and Gents -

After a bit of a hiatus, Kristen and I are back to the world of Soviet Steeds.

Don't remember who we are?

We rode a 2007 Ural Gear Up to the Arctic Circle in 2009.

In 2012, we spent a year and a half riding our BMW and custom sidecar through the USA, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia and Columbia.

And now, in celebration of our 10 year wedding anniversary (and the fact that we would like to ride all the way around the world), we headed to Australia and purchased a brand spanking new, 2015 Ural Ranger.

Here's the story:

After doing some serious research on renting a bike or sidecar rig in Australia, I found that it was much more cost effective to buy one and sell it at the end. Kristen and I only have a month to ride, and this way, we know exactly what we're getting. We reached out to Roland from Better Bikes in Sydney and after a week or so of communication, money had been sent and a new bike was waiting for us for when we arrived.

A little bit of a plug here for Better Bikes:
These guys are top notch. Roland not only worked with me and put me at ease, all over email mind you, but he also put the initial miles on the rig so that the first service could be performed before we got to the bike. I seriously cannot say enough good things about him. Really quality dealership.

So, on June 1st we headed to the airport to begin a long, long trek across the world.

Kris broke in her new Biltwell at the airport:

After being rerouted from LA, we headed to DFW and boarded the longest direct flight in the world. It takes between 16 and 17 hours to fly from Dallas,Texas to Sydney, Australia. In a very manipulative move, the in-flight computer immediately lied to us about the in-air duration. I’m on to you, Skynet…

After apparently traveling to the future, we arrived in Sydney on the morning of June 3rd. There is no amount of science or math or voodoo that can explain to me why or how we lost a day. I’m nearly 33 now and at this point, I think all I can do is accept it.

After grabbing a cab to a hotel at Coogee Beach to drop off our stuff, we couldn’t help but immediately head over to meet Roland and our new bike:

There will be plenty of time to talk all about the new bike and the significant changes that Ural has made since 2007, but it’s first necessary to discuss physics. Every rig that I have ridden has had the sidecar mounted on the right. Our new rig has the sidecar mounted on the left, obviously. Every instinct that I have developed over 8 years of riding sidecar rigs is now incorrect. Not even just incorrect, actually backwards. This revelation was compounded by jetlag, Sydney traffic and the mind-bending reality of riding on the opposite side of the road. As much preparation as I had done to ready myself for these changes our first ride was a bit harrowing. And by harrowing I mean fairly terrifying. And by terrifying I mean that Kristen compared it to riding on the tiny mountain roads of Peru (not a compliment).

More soon, amigos. Glad to be back...

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Bugs On My Face goes to Oz

Postby Thermos » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 am

Good to see you back. Always enjoyed your reports.

-T
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
1977 GL1000
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Norm
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Norm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:39 am

Welceme to Oz. We love visitors travelling our vast beauty. Where are you heading? Maybe we can link
you up with dime local Uralista.
Norm; Adelaide, South Australia
2009 Ural Tourist "Speedboat"
2010 Ural Tourist "Squib"
2004 Bonneville America

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:04 am

Rear your Artic Circle Trip, very awesome! Looking forward to your OZ adventure

:lurker:
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"

My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

lendrinkard

Postby lendrinkard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:39 am

Great stuff.

Nice to see you again :)
2012 Gear up
130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, LED running lights

prstone50
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby prstone50 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 am

Looking forward to more of your reports! Very entertaining ! Oh and congrats on 10 years of marriage.
2013 Gear Up Forest Fog "Yuri"
2000 Kuwalski Super Sherpa "Olive" ... sold
2007 TW200 "Steve"
2017 KLR650 "Roja"
Laramie, WY

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

Welcome back!!! Enjoy!!!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

planeflyer21
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby planeflyer21 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Jon

2Tim2:15

BMW 1983 R80ST Project

Cole76
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Cole76 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Your 2009 report pushed me over the edge to buy my own Ural. Cant wait for OZ trip reports! :cheers:
Cole Taylor
Oklahoma City Area

2013 Patrol T
Drilled Carb Slides
1965 VW Bus

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Welcome back!.......:lurker:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

06motorradman
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby 06motorradman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Welcome back. This will be fun! Thanks for including us.

Is that a reverse light on the rear left of the bike (between the bike and sidecar at back)? Was it a stock item?
My Bikes: 2011 Ural T ( gone on but not forgotten )
2006 BMW R1200RT, 2011 KTM 990 SMR, 2014 Vespa 300 GTS Super, 2016 Honda CRF250L, 2016 Honda CRF110

Roni
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Roni » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:51 pm

I'd give my back wheel to ride Oz. :lurker:
Current Rides:
'07 Sportster XL1200C (Talulah)
'04 Troyka (Riba)
'82 CM450C (Zenaida: gone but not forgotten)

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Welcome Back Mighty Matt. You two are a inspiration to us all. However.............I have to point out that the side car thing on the left is just.........................................so wrong.

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:15 pm

The first few days you mind tells you to stay on the left...and then in some calm moment You'll find that you lined up into the road and suddenly around the next corner somebody comes up to you in "YOUR" lane and honks on You....WHY?
The sidecar will be actually become a good reminder, but on the 3rd day it happened each time to me in good old England when I visited my Godfather.
You will get used to left handed traffic pretty fast, but worse once you come back to right handed traffic...I can assure that from experience.
Enjoy every day, life is the greatest gift we have got.
Sven

PS: beautiful photos from your Canada trip...We ourselves met only few bears and my son still blames me to have been a wimp in each occasion... I only imagine a mama bear of the weight of the Ural would have come out of the brushes right beside a over run bear cub that still breathed...I left fast and would not wait for a picture...I had my own cub with me!
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 39.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

mightymatt43

replies.

Postby mightymatt43 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Thermos wrote:Good to see you back. Always enjoyed your reports.

-T

Mothra35 wrote:Rear your Artic Circle Trip, very awesome! Looking forward to your OZ adventure

lendrinkard wrote:Great stuff.

Nice to see you again :)

prstone50 wrote:Looking forward to more of your reports! Very entertaining ! Oh and congrats on 10 years of marriage.

planeflyer21 wrote::lurker:

Coluralado wrote:Welcome back!.......:lurker:

thanks all! we're stoked to be back in the saddle.

Norm wrote:Welceme to Oz. We love visitors travelling our vast beauty. Where are you heading? Maybe we can link
you up with dime local Uralista.

this place is ridiculous thus far. so beautiful. we're headed north up the east coast at the moment. we're a bit behind on the report - where are you located?

Cole76 wrote:Your 2009 report pushed me over the edge to buy my own Ural. Cant wait for OZ trip reports! :cheers:

sorry to have been such a bad influence! :D

06motorradman wrote:Welcome back. This will be fun! Thanks for including us.

Is that a reverse light on the rear left of the bike (between the bike and sidecar at back)? Was it a stock item?

yeah, completely stock. i think it's a great addition. i'll be posting a detailed bike report here in the next couple days now that we have some miles (er, kms) on the bike. spoiler: i'm super impressed.

Roni wrote:I'd give my back wheel to ride Oz. :lurker:

give it a go! never easy to put everything together for something like this but so worth it.

WEGUNTER wrote:Welcome Back Mighty Matt. You two are a inspiration to us all. However.............I have to point out that the side car thing on the left is just.........................................so wrong.

i completely agree with you. it was straight up breaking my brain for the first couple of days. it's become so normal now, however, that i'm scared of what i'll do when we get back to the US. :shock:

Peter Pan wrote:The first few days you mind tells you to stay on the left...and then in some calm moment You'll find that you lined up into the road and suddenly around the next corner somebody comes up to you in "YOUR" lane and honks on You....WHY?
The sidecar will be actually become a good reminder, but on the 3rd day it happened each time to me in good old England when I visited my Godfather.
You will get used to left handed traffic pretty fast, but worse once you come back to right handed traffic...I can assure that from experience.
Enjoy every day, life is the greatest gift we have got.
Sven

PS: beautiful photos from your Canada trip...We ourselves met only few bears and my son still blames me to have been a wimp in each occasion... I only imagine a mama bear of the weight of the Ural would have come out of the brushes right beside a over run bear cub that still breathed...I left fast and would not wait for a picture...I had my own cub with me!

i can totally see that happening to me. it's become pretty normal now and i know it's going to take an adjustment when we get back to the "right" side of the road in the US.

also, don't blame you about the bear! you need to be careful out there - not that bears are looking for trouble… better safe than sorry!

Return to “Ride Reports”