Ridin' around, hop in

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
PineyMountainRacing
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Postby PineyMountainRacing » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks, I was originally looking for a Patrol or GU, but this Tourist came along at a good price and I thought it'd be an inexpensive way to get into hacks (and see how I liked it), and now I find myself riding it everyday, despite having some other nice bikes in the garage. It will be my primary camping rig, and now that it's running right, I'm starting to look at trading for a 2WD. I hear people say they never use 2wd, but thinking of the places I like to go....

Hope we can ride again some day, keep the RR's coming!
'12 GU

Kayaken John
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Kayaken John » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Great Pictures. I was stationed at Fort Bragg in the early 60's. They have great road for riding in the area as you have shown us. Nice looking dog and great pictures of the snakes. Enjoy the roads and be safe. Thanks for the pictures and story. :cheers: :cheers:
Motorcycles owned, 2012 Ural Yamal LE, 1999 KLR 650, 1971 TS185 Suzuki (2)

Darman
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Darman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:20 pm

seeing the pics and reading the text makes me miss my gearup even more. with any luck she will be reassembled from the pile O parts spread out and running soon. Great thread, Thank you for sharing all the great pics and adventures!
09 NATO green Gear Up
73 ironhead "fatster"
3 horses and a mule ( the mule counts as a sidecar....)

"better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it", Capt. Woodrow Call

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

Postby MikeBike » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:09 am

PineyMountainRacing wrote:Thanks, I was originally looking for a Patrol or GU, but this Tourist came along at a good price and I thought it'd be an inexpensive way to get into hacks (and see how I liked it), and now I find myself riding it everyday, despite having some other nice bikes in the garage. It will be my primary camping rig, and now that it's running right, I'm starting to look at trading for a 2WD. I hear people say they never use 2wd, but thinking of the places I like to go....

Hope we can ride again some day, keep the RR's coming!

Yep, figure in the places you like to ride and camping, 2wd will be worth the drawbacks, no doubt.
I'd really like to get together for a day or 2 when you can, I'm in Tellico Plains during MM and Chill Out, we'll be doing the Tellico Adv Trail.

Kayaken John wrote:Great Pictures. I was stationed at Fort Bragg in the early 60's. They have great road for riding in the area as you have shown us. Nice looking dog and great pictures of the snakes. Enjoy the roads and be safe. Thanks for the pictures and story. :cheers: :cheers:

Thank ya. FB in the '60s? It must have been a different experience from today, in a backwoods middle of no where way, sounds awesome!:D

Darman wrote:seeing the pics and reading the text makes me miss my gearup even more. with any luck she will be reassembled from the pile O parts spread out and running soon. Great thread, Thank you for sharing all the great pics and adventures!

:mrgreen: Good luck getting yours back on the dirt. Hopefully I can offer up some more motivation real soon.
Thanks for the comps. :D

2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

prahaben
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby prahaben » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 am

Awesome pics. Sure makes me miss living and riding in North Carolina. Maybe again some day.

Ben
2006 Ural Patrol
Owned by a 2006 Ural Patrol

I-man
Party Member
Party Member

Postby I-man » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey Mikebike,
I sent you a PM. I'd like to know more about the location of these great roads, as they are pretty close to me and looks like the kind of riding I'd like to do.
2013 Ural T

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

Re:

Postby MikeBike » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:30 pm

prahaben wrote:Awesome pics. Sure makes me miss living and riding in North Carolina. Maybe again some day.
Ben

Thanks Ben, If ya ever make it back this way lmk. When we drove thru Ks. a few years ago I didn't see much for riding but I did see a couple of YT videos showing some interesting stuff somewhere in the state. :D

I-man wrote:Hey Mikebike,
I sent you a PM. I'd like to know more about the location of these great roads, as they are pretty close to me and looks like the kind of riding I'd like to do.

Sorry for the delay, I'm working too much...finally. :lol:
The camping pics and sand quarry pics are taken near Pageland SC.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z557HdNFY5Cw.knhVjIilVwF0
East of Shrine Pond rd is the large old sand pit area where some of the pics where taken at. SP rd is sand, compare the way it looks to paved rd at either end. Pan around and the sand roads as well as about 5 other pits are visible with a little practice, and zoom. :D
Zilly Steen, East of the pit and Graves pond is sand too. The roads that I've been riding in this area are all East-SouthEast of Pageland. :cheers:

More to come.
Last edited by MikeBike on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

The area near Hoffman NC

Postby MikeBike » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:28 pm

2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

I-man
Party Member
Party Member

Postby I-man » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks Mike, that's very helpful!
2013 Ural T

prahaben
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Ridin' around, hop in

Postby prahaben » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks, will do. We hide the good stuff from the tourists.

Ben
2006 Ural Patrol
Owned by a 2006 Ural Patrol

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

Postby MikeBike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 am

We've been hosting a ADV tentspace fella for a few days, he's actually a refuge from the Maryland winter bs this time, :lol: so we managed a lil ride around Uwharrie.

Uwharrie River, Low Water Bridge rd.

Ice on moving water is rare here.

The site 10, West Morris Mtn. campground.

Yates Place CG.

There's going to be a https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/103018-NC-gt-Spring-Forward-Yates-place-in-the-Uwharrie-s-of-NC-2015-March-6-8 hang here next weekend, I may ride over and hang with 30-40 other hammocks.

2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

POI map

Postby MikeBike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:05 am

2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

MikeBike
Party Member
Party Member

Scout/Camp

Postby MikeBike » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 am

I'm heading down East this weekend to scout some camp sites that I've spied on googlemaps for the upcoming Shrimp Ride. If anyone wants to tag along I'd be happy to have the company. :?:
Rogers Lake near Florence SC.
2013 Ural GU
650 VStrom

I-man
Party Member
Party Member

Postby I-man » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:11 pm

I was really hoping to make it Mike, but all of this snow has put me behind at work. I'm going to have to pass on this weekend, but soon I hope.
2013 Ural T

roadchick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby roadchick » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Mike,
Beautiful pics of some awesome riding spots! Hoping to get my Ural in the next couple months. What gps/phone holder are you using. How is the vibration?
2013 BMW R1200RT
2015 Gear-Up Urban Camo

Return to “Ride Reports”