Connecticut to Alaska via Key West Ride Report Blues

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
ClarkA
Comrade
Comrade

Connecticut to Alaska via Key West Ride Report Blues

Postby ClarkA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:43 pm

I turned sixty this past June, to celebrate this event I took my 2012 Gear-Up for a ride...Sadly I cannot figure out how to post my pictures and write my tale on this site....Should there be someone out there smart enough to guide me, I'll gladly share my tale of rain, cold, heat , flats and bad gas! :o
Last edited by ClarkA on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFC 91C/ Medic US Army 1971-1996
"John 15:13"

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

reduc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Connecticut to Alaska via Key West Ride Report Blues

Postby reduc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:37 am

Here's a link explaining how to post pictures. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30666

:lurker:
Jason
2010 Gear Up (OD Green) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22029
Windmill MKIII airbox
Full Mod-Top exhaust
Gossie needles with the clips in the 2nd & 3rd slots from the top (out of 6)
Slides drilled
45 idle jets
132.5 main jets
Mixture screw 2 1/4 turns out
Mr Cob skid plate, deeply scuffed, as required!

2004 BMW R1150GS
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 am

-T
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
1977 GL1000
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Ironhorse Sa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Ironhorse Sa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:13 am

Please post pics!
2013 Retro - the dude-
2013 Tourist - the red baron-
2012 Tourist - TINTIN -
2011 Gear Up - Obelix-
http://www.uralsidecartours.co.za
Facebook; uralsidecartours
Remember,- he who dies with the most toys, - still dies!
My Ural does not leak oil, - it sweats horsepower!
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car-window.
Johannesburg
South Africa

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm

CT-FL-AK-CT, heck of a run. Even if you can't post pics, type out some trip experiences.
Again heck of a trip, don't tease...share.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

ClarkA
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ClarkA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 pm

DSCF2350.JPG
DSCF2351.JPG

Well now that my fellow armchair travelers have guided me to the promised land of posting........I'll prattle through my journey. My 2012 Gear Up with a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS combination XM Radio, SPOT Tracker, InReach transmitter, Casio C711 Smartphone, spare fuel cans= 17 gallons capacity, two spare K-37 tires mounted on a modified rack and 3 extra inner tubes, spare brake shoes, disc, relays, fuses, headlight bulb. clutch & brake cables, plug wires, air compressor. Decked out in my new Aerostitch on piece and Combat Touring boots topped off by my screaming yellow Schuberuth helmet, I set forth to meet my son and brother in law in suburban Washington DC. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ClarkA on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ClarkA
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ClarkA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 pm

So my trusty steed with 5 weeks work of parts, camping gear, clothing and farkles awaiting the dawns early light!

ClarkA
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ClarkA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 am

I am a Physician Assistant who tired of the daily grind of Academic Medicine and struck out for the wilds of Alaska's Aleutians where I work as a Itinerant Health Care Provider, in remote villages along the Alaskan Peninsula , the Aleutian Islands and out in the Bearing Sea. Yes, I have met the guys from "The Deadliest Catch" TV show on more than one occasion. My job not only gives me the financial freedom to travel most importantly it gives me the time to travel. As I approached my 60th birthday I began to consider how to mark this moment in my life journey. As I've read so many Ride Reports I realized that the obvious choice was to take a ride to Alaska on my Gear Up! During the planning of this trip my loving bride of 38 years supported my decision to embark on this journey. :boogie:
My 2007 Gear Up was my steed of choice until a thrown rod and seized engine in the months preceding my trip. No problem my trusty Ural dealership Ural of New England :idea: was more than willing to sell me a new 2012 model to make the trip! I spent the next year getting a torn rotator cuff repaired and rehabilitated, money saved & bills paid along with tweaking my new ride. I had heated hand grips added, high intensity lights, extra fuel can mounts for the boat, electrical accessory plugs,modified the luggage rack to accommodate the two spare tire mount, frame mounted towing points, oil cooler added to the ride. Besides being a great dealership , Dmitri of Ural of New England was supportive of my often short notice request for parts or service to include getting my bike ready to go upon my return from Alaska 1 week before my departure.
Last edited by ClarkA on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 am

Nice. This sounds good.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

ClarkA
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ClarkA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 am

Well as the planning continued , it was "suggested" by my bride that my son Clark II( BMW R100GSPD) join me for the ride, since she was sure that I would need adult supervision out on the road and my son is a good wrench to boot. I proposed to do her one better, and ask my second son Christopher (Kawasaki KLR 650) to join the ride since he has more good sense than both his father and older brother. The planning continued.........the discussion of where , when, how we would get to the goal of being on the Arctic Circle for my 60th birthday was bantered about to include the way home......... :x .

It was decided that the true ride would kick off from, "The Southern Most Point in the United States" monument in Key West, Florida followed by a generally northwestern route toward Alaska. I put out some feelers to my "rider" friends and acquaintances to join the ride with the standard job, family, bike, distance ,boogie man excuses as to why they couldn't make the ride! Luckily my brother in law who is a Professor of Avian Science of the University of Maryland decided to join us for the ride to Florida on a CanAM Spyder. My son Clark announced that a Army friend of his from Michigan would be joining us for the trip on a BMW GS.

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 am

Wow.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:19 am

This is gonna be good! :bow:

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby barnone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

swoody126
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby swoody126 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 am

just finishing up my CDR trip, from the ole LAZY-BOY, along w/ a coupla dogs(one in a hack & one in a back pack)

you are just in time for my next ADVENTURE

sure appreciate your allowing us to tag along

looking fwd to the trip

sw
Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling, lived, and still rides.
2008 GU
& a bit of most everything in the past

Return to “Ride Reports”