T.U.R.D. May 2010 Rally

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

T.U.R.D. May 2010 Rally

Postby Barbosa » Sun May 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Howdy Hi Buckaroo's and Buckette's,

Just got back from the May 2010 TURD rally. Got some thoughts and such and a buttload of photo's.
First, as many of you know, the Pearl is in dry dock...*heavy sigh*, so had to go to the MOTORCYCLE rally in a...*shudder*...car. Well, here's me looking all so happy and excited on the way there:

So I tried this...putting on the 'ol dew rag. Might get me in the mood:

Didn't work. So I threw on the goggles and Helmet and rolled down the window. You know, kinda get the effect and pretend I'm on my rig:
ImageStill didn't work. Had to change the subject...looked over at the Warden...and her low cut shirt...and...well, can't show ya those pics.
Anyway, we get there and straight off to eat. Oldtimer and Charlie swore up and down the this joint had good steaks. Here's Kevo following us to Friday nights eatin' place:

And here's the place along with the waitress (Amy) and us:
They HAD good steaks. Silly 'ol me, I didn't take a pic of 'em and before long, it was too late. They were gone real fast!
Sad part: Kevo developed a problem, thinking his engine was missing while accelerating in 3rd gear. A consensus was called and we THINK he may have some teeth missing on his 3rd gear. Kevo went back to the motel and left Sat. morning for home. He was sadly missed.

Saturday morning: We suit up and are off for our ride. Plan was to meet a group of Louisiana hacksters and then ride into Cushing, Tx. for lunch:
Here's me and my (all weekend) chauffeur, Herr Heifelfinger (Sonny):

UralCT (Charlie) was the Wardens chauffeur for the weekend:

OldTimer (Barry) was Trippers chauffeur:

Barry, Tripper (not seen), The Warden and Charlie gassing up:

That takes care of the preliminaries. Next post, photos of the ride.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: T.U.R.D. May 2010 Rally

Postby Barbosa » Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 pm

It's Saturday morning. Weather was warm and humid. The sticky kind of humid. But as long as we had wind in our faces, it's was all good. Sad part here was I'm the only one taking pictures...so you're not gonna see me in any but one or two pics. Lucky you!
On a side note, I really don't know why I seem to be the only one with a camera lately....
Here's Barry. He took us on what we call a scenic route. Yeah, you can laugh. There's not many trees like these where Sonny, Charlie and I live. East Texas reminds me of Michigan a lot. Only thing is Michigan doesn't have red dirt!

I mean...LOOK AT THOSE TREES!!!

We're at the spot where we meet up with the Louisiana group. Lake Murvaul is quite large and on both sides of the road. Ehh....go ahead and laugh again. Yeah, we have lakes where I live, but they're not blue like this one.

Here we are (Charlie and The Warden) at the spot where we're supposed to me the Louisianan's. Come to find out, they're up that trail you see about a 1/4 mile:

Here's the Group. I'm sorry that I can't remember any of the Louisiana people's names. But they were quite friendly, at any rate. I'll also include what they were riding as well:
And here's we are heading off to Cushing to meet a bunch of Two Wheel Texans folks:

Barry and Tripper (with Charlie and Warden bringing up the far rear:
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Barbosa » Sun May 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Cushing, Tx. Population (200 cunsus) 637. Now? I reckon perhaps 40? No, not really, but the city proper has only three running businesses (gun shop and hardware not pictured). Here is the restaurant we went to and the bank:

The restaurant was great! Really good food. The onion rings were homemade and huge. I heard the catfish was really good and I had pork chops...mmMMMMmmmm. Sadly, once again, the food got in the way of the camera. But here's an inside shot of everyone:

Here's the Two Wheeled Texans group:

But not all of them were on two wheels:

There were about 50 people there. We all got our orders taken, basically 3-4 at a time. So people were actually finishing their meal before the last even got theirs. I'm glad everyone hung around so we could talk a bit after everyone ate. BUT....by the time the TURD group got done eating (we were last) the temperature rose dramatically. It got to 100 degrees in the shade by the time we got back to Barry's!!! And humid.

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Barbosa » Sun May 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Due to extenuating circumstances, Mudpie and Heather could only make it to the rally...coming up late afternoon Saturday and staying till Sunday morning after we went to Louisiana to eat Breakfast.
They drove their Smart car. They made it from Cypress, Tx to Longview, Tx on 5 gallons of gas!!!!! The thing gets somewhere around 80mpg!

During the Mudpie Run (to collect them and bring them back to Barry's), we ran, quite unexpectedly, into Schdoja (James) and his nephew:

Then we're all back to Barry's and I'm feeling like a real grubnoid.

A little later, we see Charlie, who's had an exhaust valve seize on him...fixing it:

Here is James and nephew...and by the looks on their faces, they've had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOng day:

While Charlie is working on his valves, he also checks to see if his still is working properly. It's the stuff you see in the pie tin...that was collected before going into the air breather. I reckon there was about a 1/8 of an inch of water and that tan goopy stuff. We tossed the hooch...needless to say.

Mudpie and Heather brought TURD swag. The first, which was....ummmm....what did Heather call it? Uber-ghettolicious? This was supposed to be a drink cuzzi:

But THIS was pretty kewl. An East German mess kit, which actually cost less than the cuzzi's...*chucklin*:

Here we see James holding a beer in the cuzzi. The expression on his face was something like this "Ohio Valley Open Mouth Gasp For Air expression":

Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Barbosa » Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Here's a couple of videos of people leaving Cushing:

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Tin Man » Sun May 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Great pix Doug, Looks like a great time was had. :cheers: I will try and stay outta the hospital for the October run. I really do like that big BMW crusier with the hack mounted. Betcha that one don't hold up any traffic on the highway... :wink: ...Now, try this....play the video of the scooter/hack combo comin by, now close your eyes and tell me that don't sound like the car from the Jetsons. :lol:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

bayourick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby bayourick » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Is this a future post? Like in 2025 ;-) Just kidding about the time stamp. Great ride report and photos
The journey is the destination

Schdoja
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Schdoja » Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Well I made it back from Longview,and we had a good time, despite the pictures, but as I was heading to work Monday morning the RPOC just shut down on me. Now I know why Ken didn't want to sell me a side car for the poor little underpowered 650. There was oil flowing out of every oriface, no power. Not sure yet but there might be a chance that I'll be joining the "Holy Piston Hall of Fame". I thought that adjusting the valves would take care of it but now it smokes alot and sputters and makes a loud gunshot noise if you give it any gas. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone. I think the problem is on the left side should I pull the cylinder for a look at the piston?
2003 Ural Tourist "Cajun Queen"
2001 Ural Bavarian Classic "Svetlana"
1985 Honda V65 Sabre
1972 Vespa Primavera 125 "Gina"
2008 Vespa LX50 w/150 engine "Angelo"

Mud Pie
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Mud Pie » Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 pm

I had fun also, even if it was an abbreviated trip and in my smart...

p.s. my smart only got 50.6 mpg on this trip, not too shabby, but not 80 mpg, that would be sweeeet. :)
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

kevo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby kevo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:46 pm

So, it’s been three weeks and I’ve finally finished my trip up to Longview to meet up with the other Texas Uralistas.

Barry and Bill and Charlie and I met at the Hamburger Bar in Palestine for lunch. It was decent, but I shoulda had the hamburger, I think - it got crowded at lunch and that’s what everyone was ordering

And they did have luxury parking.

Leaving out of there when I got on the gas in 3rd the bike gave a “chunk”, and then ran fine. When we hit Longview there was a fair amount of stop-n-go traffic - the “chunk”ing got worse. I rode it out to Barry’s and Barbosa hopped in the sidecar and listened as I shifted into third. He said the words I didn’t want to hear - that it was coming from the tranny.

3rd gear was gone at that point - so rather than make the ride the next morning to Cushing and risk the entire tranny going boobs up, I limped back to Austin on 1st, 2nd and 4th.

So, I tore down the bike, jerked the tranny. The oil was black and smelled burnt - and when I cracked open the case I found

See the 3/4 shift sleeve (the top one), and how it’s blue instead of silver?

The 3/4 fork was ground down

And the teeth in the 3/4 sleeve were ground off at about a 30% angle. The shaft was goobered up as well where the sleeve had been pounding it as it slipped in and out of gear.

I don’t know what’s what inside the tranny, so I sent pics to Jon at Heindl, and he recommended a new main stack and shaft and fork.

So, a package arrived Friday with my parts, and after sweating on the back porch for a couple of hours
Here’s what a gear stack and clutch shaft are supposed to look like

And a sealed up tranny ready to wedge back into the bike.

And mounted up without too much cussing.

With no riding for the last couple of weeks, I decided to slap together a capacitator junior out of some stuff I had laying around - if it works ok I’ll replace the tie wraps with black ones.

Got everything together and took it out for a spin - and it shifts better than ever - just “snicks” into gear - so now - finally - I’m back from the Spring TURD.
2013 Ural-T with a formerly leaky cam seal

Return to “Ride Reports”