BMW/Ural Conversion

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.

BMW/Ural Conversion

Postby Bural » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I took a ride to Cycle Crazy today to check out a Ural/BMW conversion he has on Ebay. It is a R60, that a few have said wouldn't even pull a Ural rig. I beg to differ. Took it for a ride and it pulled as good as a 650 Ural, if not better! Engine was cold, hit the enricheners, and it started in one kick. Motor idled and ran very smooth. This is not one of my conversions, but one done by Eckard Schultz many years ago. He was known for doing excellent work and was one of the first, if not the first, to do these conversions in North America. His shop was in Canada, but he has since moved back to Germany I was told.
Richard, Jan & Riley
1996 Ural Tourist R90 For sale soon
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)
Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: BMW/Ural Conversion

Postby matman1972 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Bural wrote:I took a ride to Cycle Crazy today to check out a Ural/BMW conversion he has on Ebay. It is a R60, that a few have said wouldn't even pull a Ural rig. I beg to differ. Took it for a ride and it pulled as good as a 650 Ural, if not better! Engine was cold, hit the enricheners, and it started in one kick. Motor idled and ran very smooth. This is not one of my conversions, but one done by Eckard Schultz many years ago. He was known for doing excellent work and was one of the first, if not the first, to do these conversions in North America. His shop was in Canada, but he has since moved back to Germany I was told.

I'm sure it could match the 650 in every way and probably have clearances that actually came close to what they should be. I kind of figured an r75, or an r60 would make a nice smooth powetplant.
I still need to get with you sometime this winter about the 650 engines. I have been thinking about building a second 650 engine. You know, do it right and avoid the mistakes I made when rebuilding this one. (Although it has made it almost 20,000 km of me trashing it.
2000 tourist- The Wagon Queen family Truckster
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies!
Conan..... What is best in life?

Zaphod for President!!
matman1972
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Stormtrooper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 pm

dnepr r100.jpg

One done by Eckard Schultz which was recently in this city.
But it was a Dnepr with a R100 motor.It went around the world and was the subject of a book.
I would have bought it but he was unsure and decided not to sell. :(
So I bought the Ural instead :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stormtrooper
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Rich Maund » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm

I remember Ekhard. His work was very highly regarded!
Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby ReCycled » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

That bike sold on ADVrider just over a year ago for less than 1/2 the current bid... it needed some TLC at the time. It hasn't met reserve yet so I guess the seller puts a lot of value in that TLC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-URA ... 3f1270fa5a
David B.

Current stable: '07 Ural Tourist, '09 BMW R1200RT, '96 Harley Davidson XLH

Gone but not forgotten: '02 Ural Tourist, '04 Ural Patrol, '65 KMZ MV750, '?? Dnepr MT16, '72 Honda CB350four, '79 Yamaha XS650, '79 BMW R65, '92 BMW K75, '81 Harley Davidson XLH, '81 Harley Davidson FXEF

Next: ????????
ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2014
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2014

Return to The Gray Market