Sean's R3W Steering Damper kits ready to ship

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
sean0262
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Sean's R3W Steering Damper kits ready to ship

Postby sean0262 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

Howdy all. I thought I'd jump on here and clear up any confusion regarding the installation of the R3W Steering Damper kit.

#1: the R3W will fit all Ural models equipped with the "Leading Link" front fork system. That includes all modern Urals as well as older models.

#2: with all modern Urals, it is not necessary to remove your OEM steering damper as long as it has not yet began leaking. From all input, we have found that if equipped with an R3W Steering Damper. The R3W will prevent the OEM Damper from failing. Because the R3W will absorb 90% of the forces applied to the front end. Another plus is you can dial the OEM Damper along side the R3W to give you firmer dampening.

#3: older Urals equipped with the OEM friction damper. You do not need to remove the friction Damper. However it is recommended that you back it off to give it the least amount of friction. However if you do choose the remove it. You will be able to reverse your handlebar risers. And bring your handlebars slightly closer.

Each R3W Steering Damper kit is just $138.80 that includes shipping. I ship USPS priority mail. So you should receive your R3W Steering Damper kit within 2 to 4 days depending on your location. To order just send $138.80 through PayPal to sean0262@yahoo.com
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a solo Ural motorcycle. Any machine will do. from a Wolf, Solo or just a rig without it's sidecar. drop me a PM
Sean's R3W Steering Damper Kits for sale viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45227&p=563367#p563367
R3W Steering Damper Reviews http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=44242

dogboy443
Party Member
Party Member

Postby dogboy443 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 am

Payment sent through PP. Thanks Sean.
2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby BinDerSmokDat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:Installation took about 45 minutes, most of that removing the strut bolts. And fidgeting with the damper angle mounts to keep them at the correct angles while tightening the hardware.

I don't know why the instructions say to jack the bike and raise front wheel, I just removed the nut, only problem is the bolt is little short, with barely enough thread. I used some medium strength Loc-Tite until I can pick up a longer bolt.

Just wanted to provide an update. The damper has now been on two challenging rock strewn Central PA off-road rides with a lot of pavement thrown in and just completed the longest JDH hunt in history with mud, tons of whoop-de-doos, bumps and jumps.

The damper performed great, no problems and I've never even come close to bashing it.
I never even bothered to replace the shortish bolt mentioned above.

There is ONE small detail I feel should be mentioned, it's more a function of design than a product fault.
The stock friction damper provides a steady, predictable amount of resistance. The force is the same starting off from a stop to taking a bump at full speed.
A hydraulic damper resists proportionately to the input it receives.
It's similar to taking your hand and slapping it down on the surface of water, versus slowly bringing your hand down and pushing through the water.

So when you are going slow, the friction damper has plenty of resistance, while the hydraulic damper feels a little mushy, but quickly responds and controls oscillation.
On the other hand, at speed, a big bump can overwhelm the friction damper, especially off-road, but the hydraulic damper absorbs it better.

So just be aware. The hydraulic damper is the infinitely better product and the bike is much more under control especially off-road.

roscoau
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby roscoau » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

sean0262 wrote:#1: the R3W will fit all Ural models equipped with the "Leading Link" front fork system. That includes all modern Urals as well as older models.

Has it been shown to fit bikes with the chair on the left side?
2009 Tourist with the chair on the left where it should be...

Urals in Australia

sean0262
Party Member
Party Member

Postby sean0262 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Yes, it also fits rigs with the chair on the left.
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a solo Ural motorcycle. Any machine will do. from a Wolf, Solo or just a rig without it's sidecar. drop me a PM
Sean's R3W Steering Damper Kits for sale viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45227&p=563367#p563367
R3W Steering Damper Reviews http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=44242

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Hedwig wrote:Any update on a kit for the Retro's

+1

The folks at IMWA told me the 2018's will have a new and improved damper, but I would like having the option to take it up another notch.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol, 2018 M70
Wind-Mill MK-III aircleaner conversion,
Custom foam filter element,
42/135 jets,
OE needles, 2 shims,
air screws at 5.03 "Hg,
Ural European performance exhaust (cats intact).
Spin on filter conversion,

DanFromVegas

Postby DanFromVegas » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:06 am

Just ordered one! I have had my 2017 Gear Up for less than a week. While learning to fly the sidecar there were some pretty crazy oscillations. I hope this helps :D

tgtrotter
Party Member
Party Member

Postby tgtrotter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Sean is an honest enthusiast and I like to call a friend.

There is a history to his dampers. I'm not going to splain it here but I do know prior to installing one myself that
Both my '99 Tourist and '07 Patrol had oscillation issues as DanfromVegas suggest . But mine came from deliberately yanking the bars. Yep. I do that $#!+. Happened on every Ural I test rode too.. Installing The R3W on the Patrol totally eliminated any oscillation or as I call " the death wobble". Completely gone and unable to replicate.

Second. The R3W will not fix bad alignment, lean in/out or road crown. It makes dealing with those discrepancies less strenuous.
Third. When I want to swerve and hack and knife the bike on or off road the effort and predictability are improved with the R3W. ☆☆☆☆☆.

It is a solid product and no question for me be in my personal top "need to have versus want and cost" list. I'm a performance guy and the R3W performs. :cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :D

DanFromVegas

Postby DanFromVegas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:54 pm

OK! It came yesterday and I installed it today. On the 2017 Gear Up there is no need to jack up the front or remove the bolt. The bolt is inserted from the inside out so you only have to remove the nut. :D Pushing the rig around the garage it is noticeably stiffer going from lock to lock. Not bad, just different. I only had time for a quick spin around the parking lot. I’ll ride more tomorrow. So far it looks like top quality construction.

DanFromVegas

Postby DanFromVegas » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Took my passenger for a ride. It doesn’t transform the Ural into a sportbike but it eliminates the loose wobbly feel. Even my passenger noticed the difference! I love it! Worth every penny! :D

Return to “The Gray Market”