Sean's R3W Steering Damper kits ready to ship

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Sean's R3W Steering Damper kits ready to ship

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:23 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:Some sort of steering damper is necessary on a Ural.
There is no such thing as a sidecar set-up that is stable on EVERY road crown angle, at EVERY speed, on EVERY road surface.
There are various settings and geometries that work well under a wide range of conditions, but you need a damper.

Sidecar rigs, by their very nature are compromises, not handling like two-wheelers and not handling like 4 wheelers.

I was able to put over 300km on my Sean damper this weekend, a mix of twisty pavement, long stretches of gravel and washboard plus some very challenging rock trails.
It performed very well and improved the bike handling while minimizing bump steer.

Funny, on the rocks and nasty rutted trails I didn't see any perfectly aligned Sportster rigs to compare sidecar geometry with. :roll:

I have ridden my sportster everywhere in my vicinity and there are some very rough tracks. Now that I have uprated the springs the only thing I miss is a reverse gear. It goes fast too, fast for a sidecar rig anyway, I once took it up to 85 mph before I chickened out. For the money invested it's a hard to beat machine.
I form the light,and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Isaih 45:7 KJV

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Some sort of steering damper is necessary on a Ural.
There is no such thing as a sidecar set-up that is stable on EVERY road crown angle, at EVERY speed, on EVERY road surface.

Completely agree. I can get my setup "perfect", only to find that, once laden with a passenger and camping supplies, my "perfect" setup now sucks. A steering damper helps to mitigate this phenomenon.

How does a steering damper do that ? The reason I ask is that mine is redundant 100% of the time, it's still on the bike but it's never used.
I form the light,and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

ARSE !

Tomcatfixer
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Tomcatfixer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 pm

How does a steering damper do that ?

I don't know. Hydraulic magic? I guess it just masks steering imperfections. All I know is, having ridden WITH and WITHOUT the damper is day and night difference. Much less fatiguing. It is very much necessary on a Ural, no matter HOW much fiddling you do with the geometry.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm

I think this bloke could have used a steering damper.. I hope you can watch it.

https://www.facebook.com/ahmed.noshy.56 ... =2&theater

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
How does a steering damper do that ?

I don't know. Hydraulic magic? I guess it just masks steering imperfections. All I know is, having ridden WITH and WITHOUT the damper is day and night difference. Much less fatiguing. It is very much necessary on a Ural, no matter HOW much fiddling you do with the geometry.

The only time my Harley was fatiguing was when it was out of alignment. I had a CJ ( I've just bought another ) with no steering damper and that was relaxing to drive all the time. If all Urals need a steering damper there must be something amiss with them

ARSE !

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:47 pm

So, you're telling me that when you accelerate, your Chiang doesn't yaw to the right? I'm no member of MENSA, but the physics of a right-side-mounted sidecar, one-drive-wheel rig NOT yawing to the right upon acceleration do not compute in my shoulder-mounted gourd. Dare I say that your claims are outlandish and I suspect that you are trolling us?
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:So, you're telling me that when you accelerate, your Chiang doesn't yaw to the right? I'm no member of MENSA, but the physics of a right-side-mounted sidecar, one-drive-wheel rig NOT yawing to the right upon acceleration do not compute in my shoulder-mounted gourd. Dare I say that your claims are outlandish and I suspect that you are trolling us?

The Chang does not have the acceleration to make it pull to the right, it could not pull the skin off a rice pudding :) The sportster does though, with or without the steering damper.

No I'm not trolling.

ARSE !

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 pm

The problem with steering dampers as I see it is most people get them to cure a steering wobble ( as did I ). They install a steering damper and they think it has fixed the problem, but the problem is still there, they just stuck a band aid on it, it does not fix an alignment issue. Excessive tyre wear is often a symptom of bad alignment that no steering damper will fix.

PS it also makes the engine work harder than it needs to, reduces speed as well.

ARSE !

solo1966
Comrade
Comrade

Postby solo1966 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Just ordered one hope they are as good as the stories.
:foilhead: Love my GOD,country,and fear my government,2017 GU

SaskMick
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SaskMick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:02 am

solo1966 wrote:Just ordered one hope they are as good as the stories.

It might make a wobble less noticeable but it will not stop your tyres from wearing out quickly.

ARSE !

BinDerSmokDat

Postby BinDerSmokDat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Saskmi, order one or STFU.
Stop stepping all over Sean's sale thread.
Go to some other room and discuss steering dampers.

Penrod

Postby Penrod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:Saskmi, order one or STFU.
Stop stepping all over Sean's sale thread.
Go to some other room and discuss steering

I agree.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

motovate
Comrade
Comrade

Postby motovate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm

I just put on one of Sean's RW3 Steering Damper. Pretty easy to do - real bolt up. I did jack up the front wheel until it was just off of the ground to release the pressure on the front shock bolt. Made it easier to get the bolt out. Other then that it was a sit down and unbolt a couple of bolts and stick it on. I loosened up the stock one and ran it around on my shaky old dirt roads - I could sure feel the difference. Simple order and he shipped it right out! I Like IT.

LBM

Penrod

Postby Penrod » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm

rps20170406_180040.jpg
Just rode my cT with Sean's steering damper 281 miles through the mountains of western Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont and into New York state. It is certainly more work driving a Ural that far in a day (I'm 68) than in a car, in mid 80's temperatures. But- Sean's Damper is outstanding, some of the roads were very rough, a never a wobble. Get one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

sean0262
Party Member
Party Member

Postby sean0262 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 am

Again Saskmick, What is the Ural you ride? If I'm mistaken, a H-D Sportster is nothing like a Ural. I would surmise from my experience that the Ural leading link front fork system is nothing like a modern 39mm Shawa hydraulic front fork of the Sportster. Let me check in my shop full of motorcycles.......... Nope, there nothing alike. Again, you were saying???? You know there is never a day when I would want to argue with an IT professional. Because I know nothing about computer technology. How much experience do you have with Urals? Because I have decades. If you would like to carry on this conversation in a more productive way. Please feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my phone number so we can best communicate or differences. I'm very approachable and easy to speak with. As you can ask numerous Soviet Steeds members. I look forward to hearing from you.
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a solo Ural motorcycle. Any machine will do. from a Wolf, Solo or just a rig without it's sidecar. drop me a PM
Sean's R3W Steering Damper Kits for sale viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45227&p=563367#p563367
R3W Steering Damper Reviews http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=44242

Return to “The Gray Market”