Possible Ural cT Buyer

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
RC20
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Possible Ural cT Buyer

Postby RC20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 pm

I have not been able to find anything on how comfortable the side car is and specifically on the cT.

My wife is close to 6 foot, has bad knees.

Its not going to be a regular part of the operation but we would like to do some together with it.

Likely shorter 100 mile day trips.
Formerly Owned:

2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model)
1 x CB700 SC
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby wooden nickel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 pm

She shouldn't sit down in the tub and then try to straighten her legs. Tell her to get in like easing into a hot tub of water. Or I have heard it described as being like putting a foot in a shoe. When my wife rode with me. she said it was more comfortable than the Miata.
If we knew where you were, maybe someone would be close enough to let her take a test ride.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

RC20
Comrade
Comrade

Postby RC20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Anchorage AK. I have seen maybe 6 around town over the years but only got a chance to talk to one 25 years ago some ways South of here.

I would like to drive one myself but I know that's a iffy subject. Only ones I let drive my cycles were my brother.

Pretty antsy suddenly and lots of questions, always an issue about retiring at all and with the calculations and a major tax break as some SS adjustments its not only possible but highly doable.

I got around the world a lot when I was younger, so no huge wants. Cycling started out as transportation but soon turned to weekend enjoyment to get out and see the world. We moved a lot when I was under 12, so that got into the blood.

Never bought a new cycle before, but its doable and a few thousand saving on a used one vs the timing is going to be a non issue.
Formerly Owned:

1 x CB700 SC
1 x CB450K

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry about the location thing. I had read it earlier in this thread but lost track when the new page started. If you put your general location in your profile, it will help those of us who lose track when the page flips.
Nick

RC20
Comrade
Comrade

Postby RC20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Done. I tend to be cautious with new groups. I am on one that has a clique, so I watch a while, see about respnes.

This is one of the good ones.
Formerly Owned:

1 x CB700 SC
1 x CB450K

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 am

I understand your caution. We tend to be friendly until we get snarked at repeatedly. Until a moderator warns you, you're doing fine.
Since you are so far from any dealer or other Ural we could go to a worst case scenario. I could give the inside measurements of the tub and you could make a plywood or cardboard mock-up for your wife's test fit.
Nick

atlasheating
Party Member
Party Member

Postby atlasheating » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 am

I have had people over 6' tall in the sidecar and they fit in fine. I don't know about long trips, but there is a lot of leg room in the car.

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:51 am

I seem to remember someone in Alaska posting videos in winter weather riding Ural. I do not remember name or location, but someone is there somewhere.

Maybe someone else will remember or can direct you to that person?? Patience I spoze.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

windmill

Postby windmill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 pm

They all come with the same gearing you're calling "low" which is actually the standard sidecar gearing, and the "high" is the solo gearing. The solo gear set that didn't make the transition to the new upgraded matched gear sets. I don't have personal experience with the solo gearing other than in a solo, but the general consensus is its good for high speeds on fairly flat roads, and a bit of a liability on hills.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20
Comrade
Comrade

Postby RC20 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 pm

I appreciate the responses. All intended to help.

Good to know on the gearing. Likely 90% is going to be non freeway and solo with 80-100 lbs of gear.

Pretty much the mix I cycled with, add in a blow up mattress to accommodate the back, small cook stove. I don't plan on a lot of camp cooking if any. MO was pretty much salami/cheese and bread and some trail mix. Get a restaurant meal once a day. Morning if rained on, evening if not.

My Helly Hansons worked fine for rain gear and nothing got through. A couple of times I was dryer on the road than the camp that I got rained out of! I do plan on the bike fairing, I always had one of those. Shame my favorite Rifle does not make one for the Ural.

I have my heated vest from latter cycling days. Full leathers though the pants will have to be replaced unless I can loose another 30 lbs in the next couple of years.
Formerly Owned:

1 x CB700 SC
1 x CB450K

Wanderrad

Postby Wanderrad » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:12 am

RC20 wrote:I appreciate the responses. All intended to help.

Good to know on the gearing. Likely 90% is going to be non freeway and solo with 80-100 lbs of gear.

Pretty much the mix I cycled with, add in a blow up mattress to accommodate the back, small cook stove. I don't plan on a lot of camp cooking if any. MO was pretty much salami/cheese and bread and some trail mix. Get a restaurant meal once a day. Morning if rained on, evening if not.

My Helly Hansons worked fine for rain gear and nothing got through. A couple of times I was dryer on the road than the camp that I got rained out of! I do plan on the bike fairing, I always had one of those. Shame my favorite Rifle does not make one for the Ural.

I have my heated vest from latter cycling days. Full leathers though the pants will have to be replaced unless I can loose another 30 lbs in the next couple of years.

Parabellum has the Scout faring available for the Ural. I used to have one on my BMW K75. Great fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Scot

2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2014 Gear Up, Sage Green (sold)

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 am

my wife is only 5ft 4in but has a knee replacement and another not much better and add 65 years old with typical pains, when we take a 2 hour ride and come home into the garage she doesn't want to get out,its that comfortable to her. but extra long legs might change the equation. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

RC20
Comrade
Comrade

Postby RC20 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am

If we do any side car with her as a Passenger it will be short trips.

Its not a deal breaker, so if it is viable we will try very shot trials and go from there.

Most of my riding will be solo and the side car for the various stuff to support the trip. Tools at a minimum. Usually water and some kind of lunch. Small jack looks like a good thing to have.
Formerly Owned:

1 x CB700 SC
1 x CB450K

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”