Steering Effort

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
owcow

Steering Effort

Postby owcow » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I test rode a Harley Tri Glide in Daytona this past week however the steering effort required at lower speeds is more than my surgically repaired shoulder can take more than a few miles. The wife saw several sidecars and said she would be willing to try one as they looked comfortable. I'm wanting to know how much steering effort is needed on a Ural compared to a Tri Glide. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

scan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Steering Effort

Postby scan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm

I don't see how a Ural would be any different than a trike. You direct steer the bike; no leaning and no counter steering. The bike is a workout on the upper body.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:52 pm

At driving speed, trikes are typically more predictable and easier to steer than sidecar outfits.

At parking lot speeds, a lot comes down to the weight of the front end, the size and profile of the tires, and the steering dampers.

A stock Ural is very easy to steer around the parking lot, much easier than my R1150GS-Ural outfit. The off-road damper I installed recently to deal with the chronically leaking OEM unit makes it much harder to turn the wheel at 0-5mph.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic
Many others in the past

TerryG

Postby TerryG » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:11 am

You're in uncharted waters with this question. As a general rule, leading link forks are easier to steer than telescopic forks. Having said that, I own 2 rigs with telescopic forks and find them not too difficult to steer when moving. As eastbloc says if you have true sidecar tires with a flat profile, the steering effort at slow speeds is a lot more. The other thing to consider is the width of the handlebars on the rig you are looking at. The wider bars are going to be easier to steer. Best way to find out is ride the rig you are considering and judge for yourself what suits you. Good luck on your quest!
Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 am

Generally sidecars are heavier steering turning left than right, left turns the sidecar needs to accelerate and fights turning. Trikes are the same left or right. One of the Scorpion-type trikes with the 2 wheels in the front might suit your needs better.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lwcollmann » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 am

The steering effort goes back to the trail of the front wheel. If you change the trail on the Harley when you put a side care on Harley It will steer as easy if not easier than the ural. My guzzi with sidecar steered a lot easier than my Ural. After I changed the triple tree.
LLoyd

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:44 am

Your best bet is to test ride one.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
60,000Kms and counting

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby on2wheels52 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:47 am

"...... the steering effort required at lower speeds is more than my surgically repaired shoulder can take more than a few miles."

Go faster?
jk of course. The Ural certainly takes more effort to steer than a bike, although mine seems pretty easy compared to my hacked V-strom. Some front end changes are useful when changing the configuration of the wheels.
Jim
'10 Patrol
DL1000 (hacked) DL650 DRz400 WR250R plus a few old crocks

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 am

If you want the wind in your face then the Slingshot might be the best for for you. You use a steering wheel and it has power steering. I have no ties with Polaris, Victory, Indian or Slingshot other then living in the same state that they are made in.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

:FI:Igor

Postby :FI:Igor » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:11 am

I had shoulder surgery about a year ago (dislocated shoulder with torn ligaments). I don't have a problem on my Ural, but then again, we usually only go on trips of less than 50 miles. Recommend you test drive a Ural to see if its right for you.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:59 am

I understand CAN-AMs are pretty easy to steer. Only two I have encountered on the road, I passed on my 1994 Ural. Think I was more surprised than them.
I'll be 70 in December. Over the last decade I have damaged both rotator cuffs. Each one healed well enough for light use in a few months. A well set up Ural steers pretty well, but I have noticed my shoulders getting more tired than they used to, but not enough to quit. My 2002 Tourist with leading link fork & road tires seems the easiest combination I've owned to steer. Wish the Ural counted as a therapy machine.

HERE IS WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT TRIKES: Most are "built up" with add on rear wheel assemblies (even seen some training wheel rigs) Mostly they are some hideous chopper or fiberglass bagger nightmare, both esthetically unappealing (to Me). Ever wonder why they are going so slow through the curves? Not just because GEZEERS are driving - the distance between the center wheel & outside wheels is so slight, that it is pretty clear to the pilot that they will TIP or loose control if they go any faster. A sidecar outfit has a much wider stance & is actually more stable in corners. I've enjoyed power drifting (within limits) through corners on my Russian rigs. Can't do that on a trike. Some years ago I tried out a Harley Servicycle trike on a crowned country lane, very bad headshake, & hard to keep out of a ditch unless I rode dead center on the crown of the road - It wasn't fun. I don't think the German army would have chosen Trikes to over-run the civilized world.
Good Luck, & have Fun searching.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:14 pm

wife rides a Can-Am while I prefer my Ural. Steering effort for Can_Am is significantly less in my opinion. Good bike, well made with no issues after 4 years.
Call Claude at Claude Stanley Motorsports in PA and ask about modifications to make sidecars easier to steer, modified triple trees?

Test ride as much as you can. Any interest in a Slingshot?
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lwcollmann » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:34 pm

I have had 2 sidecar rigs and also a Goldwing trike. A gold wing trike with a 6 deg rake will steer 10 easer than any sidecar rig. And if you go to the Goldwing trike forum you will see that most riders will tell they can pretty much run with 2 wheelers in the corners. You don't even need a damper on the frontend.
Lloyd

Lloyd B
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Lloyd B » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

My Ural is the 4th sidecar rig I have owned, I added modified triple trees to the Goldwings, to make steering effort less, and it worked well, the Ural leading link setup should do as well, or better. I haven't ridden it enough to know yet. If I had not had my heart set on getting a Ural, I would have gotten a CanAm spider, they have power steering, but are just too expensive for me, and don't have the fun factor, or the ability to carry cargo, 3 people or 2 and a dog like a sidecar rig can, actually some double sidecar rigs can carry 4 people. Good luck with your search, and hope you find something that your shoulders will let you ride.
Lloyd
2013 Ural Patrol
Tent camper
Columbiaville, MI
:D

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:45 pm

To me it makes sense that a trike will probably have better steering effort than a Ural. I don't feel the Ural is too much effort but there are times when it can be quite taxing. I too have had shoulder surgery (both shoulders) and only experience issues after riding in headwinds and crosswinds for a while
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”