Is it Possible?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Quantum Mechanic

Is it Possible?

Postby Quantum Mechanic » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:36 am

Hi guys!

I'm a sidecar enthusiast and I'm saving money to get one as soon as possible.

Momentarily, I ride a '98 Suzuki Marauder, but that's not important :)

I really love the look of the old Urals (m 63, 67, 72), but I'm a little worried about the reliability (especially of the engine, even if rebuilt) and my question is: would it be easier to order a new 750 cc engine from the local dealer and mount it on an old frame? Would the rest of the parts (such as electronics, transmission or even the frame) match the new engine? Would it be cheaper to restore an old Ural and forget about the new engine?

Thank you for all the answers to come.

This passion is quite new and I apologize if my questions annoy you.

Cheers! :cheers:

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Is it Possible?

Postby Lmo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:12 pm

A new engine (vs. salvaged) is in the $4,000+ range and, if you spend any time on thie forum reading of owner engine woes, wouldn't necessarily be anymore reliable than a rebuilt older one (which you would not spend $4000 restoring). Factor in the wiring not "matching" the new engine, etc.

That said, my '63 Dnepr has complete 2006 Ural drive train under it (engine, transmission, drive shaft and final drive). The wiring harness is homemade. I did not do the conversion, but have gone through most of its systems and components at this point.

That said I think I would go the "restore" route if I were buying an older Ural/Dnepr. Nothing like knowing what you have under you. Plenty of experience on this site to support you.

Just my $.02US
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

rivers

Postby rivers » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:22 pm

I certainly wouldn't expect a 60's, 70's era Ural to be as reliable as a newer era. Not saying you couldn't make it so with time, work and money but why?
What's your goal? Cheap project, reliable, local putt, long distance runner? Unless you like restoring a bike (fun) and can deal with a never ending project I would figure your total investment you're willing make then decide if it's better to buy cheap and build or buy a newer better Ural. I'm not up on suzukis but isn't the marauder an 800cc? Be cheaper in the long term to just hang a chair to the suz.
Joe
014 GU
'No redeeming social value.'

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Being unable to write a check for a new or even late model Ural (like the new Dnepr I purchased in the 1980's) I had bought a non running 1994 Ural cheap enough that I figured I could afford a new engine if/when needed. As luck would have it ran perfectly after I cleaned the Carbs, & did for years until I sold it. I recently bought a non running 02 tourist with the left Head in a box. I knew it needed a new head & piston. The good news is it had under 3k on the clock, new transmission under warrantee, Denso alternator, good fuel tap etc. I also thought I could replace the engine if needed. But it is all back together now & runs & drives great. It is real pretty & equipped just the way I like them (4, 19" interchangeable wheels, drum brakes, lots of good chrome & shiny black paint) remember Black ones are fastest.
I never planed to travel on mine, but as local rides, mine have never failed to get me home.
I would consider owning a BMW Hybrid or conversion, but would prefer the URAL over a Dnepr, as Dnepr parts are getting scarce (Dnepr is out of business). Great care & discernment would be required to successfully run a sidecar on most modern bikes with high compression/RPM engines with light flywheels & frames. They are not designed to be sidecar tugs & may not be strong enough to not stand up to it.
IF you buy a non runner, explain to the seller you can't pay more than salvage for a pile of non-running used parts. "running when parked" is hearsay & won't fly. Be aware if you pay $3k for a fixer-upper, you could end up with $5k in it. There is now a nice sounding Ural @$5500 in the Black Market section.
Happy Hunting & Good Luck.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Alan_Hepburn
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Alan_Hepburn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 pm

rivers wrote:...I'm not up on suzukis but isn't the marauder an 800cc? Be cheaper in the long term to just hang a chair to the suz.

I had a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T - 805cc engine. Before I got the Ural I looked into putting a sidecar on the Suzuki and was told by several people that I was looking in the $12K-$15K range to add a complete subframe and get a decent chair installed. I found my Ural on Craigslist for $6500 and have never looked back! In retrospect I don't think the Suzuki would have outperformed the Ural by much once a sidecar was attached.
Alan Hepburn - Proud to be a Blue Star Family
2006 Ural Tourist

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:09 pm

And you'd lose reverse.

I'd go for a tug with at least 85hp if I was assembling a rig from scratch (unless I was building a lightweight dual sport based on a KLR or similar).
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

Quantum Mechanic

Postby Quantum Mechanic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you all for the advice, I guess I'll just go hunting for an old one and get it restored entirely.

Thanks again, you're the best! :cheers:

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 am

Why not buy a Retro. You get the best of both worlds. It has the styling of the original 1939 rigs with modern engine (modern for Ural) and modern electrics. Will be cheaper than having a old relic restored. And if you buy it right, you can get out if it and probably not get hurt to bad. Selling a machine that you paid to have restored is always a losing proposition unless we are talking Henderson, Brough, Vincent and such.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Quantum Mechanic

Postby Quantum Mechanic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:52 am

Snakeoil wrote:Why not buy a Retro. You get the best of both worlds. It has the styling of the original 1939 rigs with modern engine (modern for Ural) and modern electrics. Will be cheaper than having a old relic restored. And if you buy it right, you can get out if it and probably not get hurt to bad. Selling a machine that you paid to have restored is always a losing proposition unless we are talking Henderson, Brough, Vincent and such.

Thanks for the advice, but the Retro is much more expensive than any other rebuilt ones. Besides, when I get one, it will definitely be a keeper :wink:

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:51 am

Quantum Mechanic wrote:
Snakeoil wrote:Why not buy a Retro. ....

Thanks for the advice, but the Retro is much more expensive than any other rebuilt ones. Besides, when I get one, it will definitely be a keeper :wink:

Then you need a "reality check", some $$ to back up your "wants", a realistic look at your "needs", and some patience to make it all happen IMO.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”