drive gland installation

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Stephen Hancock

drive gland installation

Postby Stephen Hancock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 pm

I am installing the gland at the tail shaft at rear of transmition. It was leaking oil since I had bike, 20 years. I can not see in the parts manual which way it faces. The round spring is forward or facing backward? You need a pigmy to get to this area. Any suggestions on how to install this gland. Does it need to be glued in?

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: drive gland installation

Postby Albuquralque » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:26 pm

If by "gland" you mean the output shaft seal, then the spring should be facing forward (towards the inside of the gearbox).

No it doesn't need to be glued in. Take your time tapping it in place. Try and find a socket or something similar in size to the seal to tap it in place.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”