Ural M66 - 1968

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
iwantural

Ural M66 - 1968

Postby iwantural » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Hello all,
First of all I'm from Middle/South east Europe so availability of the Ural and everything that comes with (any equipment) it is little bit different (hard to come by). Being closer to Russia it should be other way around... I have a wish to become an Ural owner. Never had a motorcycle and hope to get my motorcycle license this spring. New one is definitely out of my price range, but I've found used one and I would like some additional opinions and guidance.
First of all bike in question is the Ural M66 from 1968. Oldie but a goodie (hopefully). No other used Urals being sold in my country. I want to avoid hassle of importing one.
Bike has been recently renovated (about two years back) and it has new cylinders, new pistons and rings, new crankshaft and bearings, new alternator, new electrical wiring, completely restored gear box, new tires and new paint job. Pictures attached. Owner says it has 12.000 miles. Don't know if you can trust that since odometer can be easily manipulated.
I has 4 gears and reverse. I has 1WD which shouldn't pose an issue since I don't plan any of road. I plan on keeping to road (dirt, gravel, pavement, asphalt, concrete).
My understanding is that it is easy to maintain: make sure the air filter is clean, the spark plugs are working, it has oil and fuel. No complicated systems, everything is as simple as it gets. It can be fixed with a hammer, screw driver and a wrench.
My main concerns are:
1) I want Ural (sidecar motorcycle) I can drive seriously, not just look cool. I do not expect speed from this bike. Top speed for Ural M66 from 1968 should be 50mph?I hope it can cruise at 40-45 MPH without issues? How long does it take to get there? (will everybody behind me hate me :) ) Does anyone know this? I do not plan on going to highways unless 100% necessary.
2) What about power? Can I put a lady and some camping gear (tent, sleeping bags) in the side car and still drive without line of cars behind me?
3) How is comfort with older models? I've been explained by owner this bike is to be driven for 20 to 30 miles then take a coffee break. I'd like to be able to pull 60 miles before break, and to be able to drive 200 to 300 miles in a one day ride. Is this to much from any Ural? Or just to much for old one?
4) How are older models adjustable for tall riders? I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. I've seen (on internet) people on new Ural put handle bar raisers and put bench seat. Is this doable on older model? I'd like to keep tractor seat if possible, and be comfortable. Can I make any brackets, drill new holes? Any ideas and experience?
5) Would you generally say yay or nay on buying this old Ural? Never had a bike, not mechanically skilled (but an engineer, so I believe I can learn). Completely new rider. At least I won't have to unlearn riding "normal" two wheel motorcycle. Also, no side car driving courses in any vicinity on a language I speak. However, I located the sidecar driving manual floating on the forum. :)

Unfortunately I do not have option to meet/talk to any Ural owners for guidance and advice. Owner of the bike is there. However, I do not know how honest he can be, since I know he's trying to sell this bike for over a year. I'm afraid he will say anything just to sell it.
Also I do not have option to ride one Ural either. I've seen two drive by. I've seen a lot of things on the internet. I know I would want one. I guess I'm trying to prevent scenario where I would buy and and realize it looks cool but it's not for serious driving. It will be hard to sell. I want to make a hobby out of it and enjoy riding it.
Any advice that can be offered and shared is greatly appreciated. I realize in the end it is my decision to make and risk to take. However, I would like to get all the information I can before making the leap of faith towards the soviet steed.
I apologize for my bad mechanical English. Not my forte.

Thank you,
IWantUral
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No rig yet, looking to make a wish come true and buy one. :)

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Ural M66 - 1968

Postby dneprlover » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:08 pm

M66 from 1968? :D
Last edited by dneprlover on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid and a K750m

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby siberman1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:28 pm

I would also be aware of the following:

A little putty, a little paint. Make it look like what it ain't.

Caution, get info before you buy it, like engine number, frame bnumber, transmission number, or anything else with numbers... JMO
YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

iwantural

Postby iwantural » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:33 am

Hello,
@dneprlover: I am not sure when it was made, and this is valuable info for me. I guess I don't mind having more modern parts, or not all original parts. As long as it's drivable and reliable Ural. Being 100% exact / authentic isn't my focus now. However, I hope I can leverage this information to bring down the price. Price is tricky. I was able to get the info that couple years back there were 6 Urals registered in my country. Two of them were old timers. There is not a lot of people interested in this, and since we are just now recovering from the financial crisis (we took it hard) not sure how many people want to spend money on this. I agree that he can't sell due to to high price. He originally asked 5.000 €, now it's down to 4.000€. I was hoping for a range 3.000 to 3.500 €. I guess it's all about supply and demand. He was complaining how guys with trikes are bringing down his price and taking people who are interested. I disagree. I don't think trikes and sidecar motorcycles (Urals) are comparable category. Three wheels yes, but different experience and philosophy.
@siberman1: I will try to get numbers, but not sure if the owner will be willing to share. In case he does, what can I do with those numbers? Any Ural database there or to try to get info from our version of DMV about that Ural?
I was able to get two more pictures of the same motorcycle.
Thank you,
Iwantural
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:05 am

Send a private message to harleych for ideas on Eastern bloc prices
Last edited by dneprlover on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid and a K750m

iwantural

Postby iwantural » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:11 am

Hello dneprlover,
I am from Croatia. So it is EU. I will wait for few more days for people to see the post. It's not a hurry.
I'll be in the UK for the spring, I will try to go to Ural/Dnepr rally to see some more Ural bikes and educate my self more.

GregAus
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby GregAus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:58 pm

M-67or IMZ-8.103 frame so 1975 at earliest. Headlight housing from an earlier IZH I think. Blinkers on the bike are wrong for a M-67. If the owner won't give you the frame, engine and gearbox numbers then run away very quickly. If he does, email either IMZ or IMWA for verification of year of manufacture, model and whether the engine or gearbox has been replaced. I'd guess it's actually a late 1980s - early 1990s model tarted up for a sale.

iwantural

Postby iwantural » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:34 am

Hello GregAus,
thanks for the great info. I'll call the owner again over the weekend and see if he will be willing to provide the numbers. I'll definitely post what I find out.

iwantural

Postby iwantural » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello all,
when I called the owner and asked him to provide the frame, gearbox and engine numbers, he simply stated that it's a M66 model and that's it. His last sentence was he will not sell it, he will keep it. Turned tad bit uncomfortable. I feel bad for the guy, it is his baby but I tried to explain to him some things don't add up (as explained above) and that I would like to know exactly what I am buying. Bottom line this rig is definitely out of the play.
However, I would ask, if possible to get some answers on other questions(above) not this particular model related:
1) I want Ural (sidecar motorcycle) I can drive seriously, not just look cool. I do not expect speed from this bike. Top speed for Urals from 1990's should be 50mph?I hope it can cruise at 40-45 MPH without issues? How long does it take to get there? (will everybody behind me hate me :) ) Does anyone know this? I do not plan on going to highways unless 100% necessary.
2) What about power? Can I put a lady and some camping gear (tent, sleeping bags) in the side car and still drive without line of cars behind me?
3) How is comfort ? I'd like to be able to pull 60 miles before break, and to be able to drive 200 to 300 miles in a one day ride. Is this to much from any Ural? Or just to much for old one?
4) How are Urals adjustable for tall riders? I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. I've seen (on internet) people on new Ural put handle bar raisers and put bench seat. Is this doable on older model? I'd like to keep tractor seat if possible, and be comfortable. Can I make any brackets, drill new holes? Any ideas and experience?
I did some more research, in the long run I believe I will have to import, something like:
http://www.autoscout24.com/offers/ural- ... -274709639 (really like it)
or
http://www.autoscout24.com/offers/ural- ... -285484315
think I'll stick to something "newer" from 1990 onward.
Thanks

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”