newbie questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: newbie questions

Postby WEGUNTER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Welcome Jim. I am down in PInehurst. Figure about 12-15 riders in the central area. You can tote a ton of stuff on a Ural Like a lot of Ural riders, I keep my tools, jack and other stuff in an ammo can and mounted it beneath the tub. Leaves the trunk free and what it can't hold goes up top on the rack.

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:26 pm

oops wrong top picture....................and some guys carry a spare motorcycle as well :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:53 pm

I know exactly where that is!! It's on my calendar :)
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for all the info! I'm still tracking down training - Danville offers a class but does not provide bikes.

Is there a list of things to check on used Urals (maybe by year)? I see a lot of mid 200x bikes but they only have 3-4000 miles on them. I'm a bit concerned with rubber bits, etc with that age and low mileage. Is that a valid concern?

And I haven't owned a bike with a carb on it in awhile. Is the EFI worth it on the newer bikes or not that big a deal?
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes rubber bits will become brittle and leak. They'll mostly be simple to replace but low miles aren't a selling point for a 10+ year old Ural.

I've had Urals since 2000 and currently have a FI model. Many swear by their carbs and it is their right, but I find FI to be mechanically simpler and less prone to maintenance needs over time. The overall complexity of the system is higher, of course, and if you don't like to depend on such high-tech contraptions as a fuel pump you may prefer to stick to carbs.

Other point of consideration is that the FI bikes have terrific brakes. I can lock up all three wheels and come to a dramatic and sudden halt.

There's a sweet deal on an '07 in Tennessee up in the Black Market right now. That would be on my short list if I lived in NC and was in the market for a Ural.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic
Many others in the past

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 am

Post up what you find and you'll probably find someone local to the bike willing to check it out with you.
Be patient, lots of good deals on used Urals.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks! I have a DL650 I need to sell first (and to convince my wife this is a good idea) :)
Jim

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:02 pm

After ten years of riding in the sidecar, my wife is seriously considering getting her motorcycle endorsement. She has no interest in two-wheelers, but she's excited about the prospect of being able to pilot the rig.

YMMV...
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic
Many others in the past

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:45 pm

thecrumb wrote:Thanks for all the info! I'm still tracking down training - Danville offers a class but does not provide bikes.

If you are a serious rider, who's been riding for a long time, Im not really sure training is all that nessisary. Pick up the ural training book or buy one from a dealer. Throw some ballast in the tub and ride. Ride around until you find yourself really working to get the tub flying, then remove the balast and go from there. Its really not hard, once you understand the physics and mechanics of a sidecar.

Unless you can easily afford EFI, go carbed. That will give you time to decide if you REALLY like Urals, then you can dump the coin on an EFI.

I picked up "سميرة" (Samira) the winter of last year. I commuted with it most of the summer. Its been down with a drive-ability problem, and even though I have other bikes, I miss riding her the most.

Stupid stupid stupid fun

And you can ride year round!! :boogie:
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 pm

If yo do not find a rig by then, bring her to CRAP and we will sell her

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:19 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:If yo do not find a rig by then, bring her to CRAP and we will sell her

My bike or my wife :lol: :shock:

Jim
Jim

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm

both

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:02 am

dneprlover wrote:
thecrumb wrote:
Off to find this yellow book :)

Jim

Don't bother.

Google 'Hal Kendal's sidecar guide' and download it for free. The Yellow book owes a lot to that guide and the Sidecar world lost a great man when Hal passed away a few years ago

You can download Hal Kendal's books free on the United Sidecar Association's website here

http://sidecar.com/links3.asp
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 am

Yep, been reading Hal's book, surfing forums for info and doing research on bike shipping - no bikes for sale close by... :(

While I like the idea of EFI and better brakes for the $$ it seems I can get a late model 200x and have a good bike. And two carbs hanging out in the breeze have to be easier to adjust than the bank of carbs on my old Connie :)

Jim
Jim

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rougaroo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:04 am

Guys -

To make it easy JohnBG put all the riding manuals permanently in a sticky at the top of this section of the forum. Click "Ural/DNEPR 101", then look for the "Announcements" sub-section. "Sidecar Manuals for Newbs" is right there with all the manuals for free.

The riding exercises are particularly good to let you get a feeling for the balance and handing of the bike. All of them have pictures of 650's, but don't worry about that. They handle just the same.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”