newbie questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

newbie questions

Postby thecrumb » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Coming up on the big 50 and thinking of buying a Ural for my mid-life crisis.

Been riding 2 wheels forever and just looking for something different. Comfortable wrenching on something. And as long as the riding > wrenching, I'm good.

I'm mainly looking at this to commute to work and for the occasional trip the nearby mountains (I'm in central NC). Not interested in long highway jaunts or off-roading anywhere. :)

A few stupid questions...

1) How much space is in the 'trunk'? Can I stuff a helmet and Aerostich in there??
2) What kind of range do you get on a tank? I know you can slap on extra can but curious stock what to expect? 100mi? 200mi??
3) Are the Step classes worthwhile? The closest one to me is in Asheville which is a 3 hour trip for me...

Thanks!
Jim
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

bgenest
Comrade
Comrade

Re: newbie questions

Postby bgenest » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:41 pm

thecrumb,

I'm new here also but here are my $.02, and welcome:

1. 2.9 square feet. No problem with getting a couple of helmets in the trunk... with a little room to spare;
2. about 150 plus miles to you get to reserve +- depending on how you ride;
3. It's a whole new riding experience. I don't have many miles on my Ural but I have been riding for about 50 years. After the first 10 miles I went home and signed up for the classes. Google evergreen 3 wheel training. And get "The Yellow Book'.

PS I bought mine as a retirement gift to myself.
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 pm

If the trunk just has in it what came with the bike, I would think you could stuff a stich and a helmet in there . I can't but it's full of tools and other stuff. Forget a 200 "mile" range w/o a gas can. I usually fill my tank at 200 "km" but it's not empty. On my pre EFI Urals I start looking for a gas station at 150 km. Headwinds, speed, grades, riding style state of tune etc are all critical to fuel consumption. Regardless of brand/model ALL sidecar outfits burn more fuel than a comparable 2 wheeler(easy 30% more).If your goal is a fuel sipping commuter, stick with a 2 wheeler or an econobox little car.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

LRP

Postby LRP » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Figure 30mpg in your area. Trunk will easily hold a full face and an Aerostich.

We go to Cherokee every year in Oct. to ride the Park roads and the Blueridge. I've ridden the Smoky's on a Suzuki, a Kaw Voyager XII,
a Guzzi EV11, but the Ural is the most fun, not to mention not having to horse a heavy bike around on a slanting parking area.

LRP

Dick
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
'08 Green Patrol "Green Hornet"
130/42 jets. JC Whitney mufflers with 4" added baffles=5mph+

19 previous motos

scan

Postby scan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:17 pm

-I fit 2 size small open face helmets with two tool bags. The trunk is huge compared to any other bike and tiny to a car :)
-The most I will go is about 180 - 200 km (if your new to the bike that's the odometer even for state side bikes) about 120 ish miles on a tank.
-Since you know how to ride a bike I think an empty parking lot and a lot of patience is all you need. I drove around with 80 lbs of sand in the side car for a month before I was comfortable.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:49 pm

I rode my first Ural for almost a year before a class finally came within 100 miles of me. I still learned plenty and Ural reimbursed me for the class. I had a 2 day class so the motel bill was mine and I got soaked in the rain 2 1/2 hours both ways but it was still worthwhile.
If you can't get to a class do the exercises in the yellow book as close as you can and get someone to help you with maximum braking effort exercises. Finding the point just short of lockup is handy info.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

lpenney
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lpenney » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:16 pm

My advice, make the drive and take the class. I drove about 4.5 hours away to take the course. I got to ride a Ural for the two days of the class and came out even more convinced I wanted one. But, it is different enough from two wheels that it is good to make sure it's what you want before you part with the $$$.
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 Yamaha TW200 (gone but not forgotten)

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks all for the info - not looking to save gas - just curious. I have a few friends who ride and it's always the least common denominator on who has to stop for gas first. I've usually ridden GS's and KLRs so that's never me :)

lpenny - that's a great idea - I'll check and see if that class provides bikes to ride. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to try one out and learn something at the same time.

Off to find this yellow book :)

Jim
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

rivers

Postby rivers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:50 pm

thecrumb wrote:lpenny - that's a great idea - I'll check and see if that class provides bikes to ride. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to try one out and learn something at the same time.

Jim

Jim, even if your STEP class doesn't have Urals, mine didn't, the class is worth taking. You'll get a feel for the quirks of all sidecar outfits regardless of brand and you'll learn A LOT of survival skills. The Yellow Book is indeed also worth buying "and using" not just reading. Actual title " Driving a Sidecar Outfit" by David Hough. Cheapest place and an excellent vendor is Whitehorse Press.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:40 pm

Fair number of Ural riders in NC. I'm outside of Greensboro.
I regularly go 225 km before gassing my Retro up, 250 km is end of my comfort zone.
Danville CC had sidecar training classes and I also found some in several NC locations but not STEP affiliated. For some reason the name Ride NC or Ride Safe is rattling around in my head, if Google doesn't find it for you pm me.
If you're near enough to me to drop by you can check one out and test ride it. CRAP will be in Sanford fairly soon and you can get an education there and also learn about Urals.

Lots of good deals on used biles here.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:32 am

On the trunk space I can fit eight 6 packs of beer, three "fifths", the factory tool roll. scissors jack, and a couple of 2x4's with a little room left.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:02 am

thecrumb wrote:

Jim

Don't bother.

Google 'Hal Kendal's sidecar guide' and download it for free. The Yellow book owes a lot to that guide and the Sidecar world lost a great man when Hal passed away a few years ago
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:04 pm

4Paws wrote:CRAP will be in Sanford fairly soon and you can get an education there and also learn about Urals.

What is "CRAP" :) I'm in the Raleigh area so Sanford is right next door. I've been camping at Willsville a few times when they had a Ural gathering - that is what originally started the itch. Will look into Danville CC - that is much closer than Asheville!

Jim
Jim

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:21 pm

See upcoming rides section for current CRAP info and ride reports for pictures of past.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Got to "Upcoming Rides" - CRAP will be the first weekend in May (6th-8th) at the Old Gilliam Mill just west of Sanford. Folks have come from as far away as Canada, Maine, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, etc. You'll see more models and farkles than you've even heard of. Just hope you eat meat...

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”