Mechanically challenged

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Mechanically challenged

Postby Casty62 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Ok so I'm gonna swallow my pride and dive in here. First let me state that I am a mechanical spastic with the attention span of an autistic Hampster. That being said I am strangely compelled to (perhaps unwisely) perform all maintenance and repairs myself. I purchased "Boris" my 2012 Patrol T back in late July. I basically stole it as the mileage was 4000Km and it had close to $3K in farkels. Boris came shod with brand new Heidnau tires, I now have about 8000km on the rig. The pusher looks to be around 50% and I'm wondering if I should swap it with the tire on the hack which still looks practically new. I know how to pull the pusher off no problemo. On the hack do I just pry off the plastic cover and take off a bolt? Also, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on critical maintenance issues at this point.
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

RichardM
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Mechanically challenged

Postby RichardM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Casty62 wrote:Ok so I'm gonna swallow my pride and dive in here. First let me state that I am a mechanical spastic with the attention span of an autistic Hampster. That being said I am strangely compelled to (perhaps unwisely) perform all maintenance and repairs myself. I purchased "Boris" my 2012 Patrol T back in late July. I basically stole it as the mileage was 4000Km and it had close to $3K in farkels. Boris came shod with brand new Heidnau tires, I now have about 8000km on the rig. The pusher looks to be around 50% and I'm wondering if I should swap it with the tire on the hack which still looks practically new. I know how to pull the pusher off no problemo. On the hack do I just pry off the plastic cover and take off a bolt? Also, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on critical maintenance issues at this point.

Yes, I think so. My only experience is on the 2WD models. On these you just remove the cotter key and the castle nut to pop off the sidecar wheel. I usually take the opportunity to check the wheel bearings and lube the drive splines and the driveshaft splines. Lots of directions for both on this and other sites. These things are incredibly straight forward to maintain.
--
2012 Ural Patrol
1983 BMW R100RT w/Cozy sidecar
http://blog.machida.us

jmdugas
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jmdugas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:42 pm

I an in the same boat as you are and I just changed all 3 tires on my 2014 Gear-up. I simply followed the instructions in the owner's manual and used the tools that came with the bike everything went well. The only thing I had issues with was the removal of the front wheel shaft, and that was my fault for not reading the instructions properly. It comes undone by turning it clockwise, not the other way around.

I also took the opportunity to change the brakes on the pusher and the sidecar. All and all a fairly straight forward process.
2014 Battleship Blue Gear-Up

Mods:
Winch
Skid plate
Heated grips
Sidecar dashboard
Auxilliary driving liights
Reverse & 2WD tank shifter

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Casty62 wrote: I purchased "Boris" my 2012 Patrol T back in late July. I basically stole it as the mileage was 4000Km and it had close to $3K in farkels.

How much did you pay for your rig if you don't mind me asking? The reason for this question is because I am on the fence for a nice 2011 and I wanted to know how much I should pay for it.

Thanks
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby on2wheels52 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Keep an eye out for the spacer that goes behind the hub of the pusher wheel, it can stick to the hub and fall off while rolling the tire around. And grease the splines of both wheel hubs while they're off.
And welcome to the Greasy Hand Club :cheers:
Jim
'10 Patrol
DL1000 (hacked) DL650 DRz400 WR250R plus a few old crocks

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Casty62 wrote:. On the hack do I just pry off the plastic cover and take off a bolt?.

On mine (05 T) you don't pry the the "plastic cover" off it is actually a bolt in its self. Use the spanner wrench. Wrench with the two pins on it to go into the holes in the "round thing" holding the spare on... Sorry I'm not quoting things to be a duche',,, just don't know how to explain things sometimes just don't pry, it unscrews off. Good luck I'm sure you can figure it out. :cheers:
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone Mouka I paid 8K for it. It had brand new Heidnau's, front and rear luggage racks in the hack, dual high mount FMF exhaust, skid plate, racks on rear fender and hack fender, and many more "little things." Here is a pic before I added a windshield.
ImageI
2012 Patrol
No chrome

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 pm

The spacer is actually on the sidecar wheel. Sometimes it stays in the hub, sometimes it comes out on the wheel.

Here is a good resource: www.myural.com
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Wildhorse Cafe

Postby Wildhorse Cafe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:54 pm

:D I hate busting tires. I buy 'em three at a time on line jack the bike up on blocks remove the wheels, then take the wheels and the tires with new tubes down to Jose and shoot the $#!+ and drink a beer while he does his magic. Jose is worth every penny.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:36 am

Who said anything about busting tires. Can't I just swap whells between the pusher and hack?
2012 Patrol
No chrome

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:56 am

Yes. you can. One thing you might have to adjust will be the brake drums. Make the change and then check out your brakes for both side car and pusher.

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:12 am

Thanks, didn't think about the brake adjustment. I'm still unsure at what point I should make the swap though.
2012 Patrol
No chrome

misplacedyank
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby misplacedyank » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:27 am

Casty62 wrote:Thanks everyone Mouka I paid 8K for it. It had brand new Heidnau's, front and rear luggage racks in the hack, dual high mount FMF exhaust, skid plate, racks on rear fender and hack fender, and many more "little things."

You did steal it, great price with all the farkels.
:cheers: and good luck to someone who is a "mechanical spastic with the attention span of an autistic Hampster" :lol:
Todd

2014 Ural Gear Up "Masha" (Маша)
2012 Genuine Stella 4T with Sidecar

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Casty62 wrote:Thanks, didn't think about the brake adjustment. I'm still unsure at what point I should make the swap though.

I swap when the pusher still has the faint groves for water pass through. I've managed around 6 to 7,000 miles doing it this way. Then I replace both. You can go further if you throw the spare into the rotation.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
60,000Kms and counting

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks. I guess it's time then. Sadly the rig didn't come with a spare.
2012 Patrol
No chrome

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”