2003 Ural Tourist Questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: 2003 Ural Tourist Questions

Postby eastbloc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:06 am

I like Mikuni VM for simplicity if not performance. All things being equal the CV carbs are going to give a better operaor experience but I dislike the mechanical complexity of the diaphragm.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:06 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:I'd trade my Keihins for a NICE pair of Mikuni VM round slides I have never been crazy about Keihins. My 650 Ural had Mikunis from new, & it did great.

I would agree on that. Mikunis are really nice and very easy to work with.
My only gripe with the 32 mm Mikunis is that they are almost all missing the vacuum port. That's why I have not installed them on my bike yet.
I am waiting to find a set of carb boots that have the vacuum ports in them and I would jump on the occasion to swap the Keihins for Mikunis.
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:05 am

mouka wrote:
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:I'd trade my Keihins for a NICE pair of Mikuni VM round slides I have never been crazy about Keihins. My 650 Ural had Mikunis from new, & it did great.

I would agree on that. Mikunis are really nice and very easy to work with.
My only gripe with the 32 mm Mikunis is that they are almost all missing the vacuum port. That's why I have not installed them on my bike yet.
I am waiting to find a set of carb boots that have the vacuum ports in them and I would jump on the occasion to swap the Keihins for Mikunis.

Why do you need the vacuum ports on older bike ?
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby markhas » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:36 am

Hubert of The Timeless ride has proven beyond all objection that Miknies are 2nd rate for the 750cc. Go look it up and see all the work done by top mechanics that proove otherwise. They might work great for the 650 but they are not for the 750.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”