Headlite Bulb

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
jae
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Headlite Bulb

Postby jae » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:34 pm

siberman1 wrote:I had a Trucklite LED light. It was and is a piece of crap made in the good ol' US of A.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your previous comment. I was under the impression that you had the knockoff I'd originally posted.
'14 Patrol purchased 1/9/16, OR 1.02 map, 497km on first engine. New engine, throttle bodies, throttle cable, rear brake pads/rotor, final drive and 2wd shaft u-joints as of 8/20/16. Mods

'06 Triumph Sprint (naked), '07 Hyosung GV650, '05 Hyosung GT650, '92 Honda Z50 (125cc now), '87 Yamaha Venture (naked, hacked rat), '04 Yamaha PW50 for the boy, '06 Suzi GSX-R 600 project

Brian Crean
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Brian Crean » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm

In a way, I agree with Siberman. The Trucklite has a "spike" that projects directly ahead quite a distance. The only problem is, when in a sidecar rig, whether you know it or not, when riding normally, your handlebars are slightly tweaked to the left, and the spike is illuminating the oncoming lane. Likewise, when slowing down, your lighting up the right hand side of the right of way. I solved the problem by installing it on my St, where it works great. The spike goes straight ahead. Right now I'm experimenting with an OPT-7 LED. It's guaranteed waterproof. I've tried it in the Hella, and Cibie, but in both, the casting for the bulb interferes, and results in a shadow directly forward. The bulb has definite Hi-Lo capability (Vs the slightly brighter on Hi for most) Am currently trying to pair it up in a Rampage 7" reflector (for trucks, and jeeps) I'll let you know how it works out.

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 pm

An excerpt about using HID bulbs in DOT type housings, from a website with lots of good information:

"The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different in size, shape, orientation, and luminosity distribution compared to the filament light source used in tungsten-halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries. .....[snip].... If a halogen headlamp is retrofitted with an HID bulb, its type approval or certification is no longer valid so the headlamp is no longer street-legal."

Source: http://www.headlightsdepot.com/headlights_101.php

As always, everyone who rides motorcycles makes decisions about their own bike, their own safety, and the safety of others.

Years ago I even tried one of the headlight modulators on one of my bikes for a time, and after a few problems, I unplugged it and threw it away as I did earlier with the HID POS.

I'm not telling anyone else what to do, but only relating what works for me and the reasons I go that route.

YMMV...

Ride safe guys!

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanx for all the informative posts.

Got all the info. I need and even more!

I'm ordering this;

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395991-T ... +002395991
2012 Ural Patrol

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 pm

The link text was kinda wonky but it looks like you ordered the Hella DOT unit...which is still gonna be way better than the Wagner sealed beam, if that's what your Ural had.

Hella makes good stuff!

Let us know how it works out for you.

---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Brian

Yeah, that was a wonky link!

I think this will work;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M ... ailpages00

Does it look like the right one?

They also have a ceramic connector. It's only about 10 bucks, but I don't know how it will fit in the housing.

Thanks again.

SteveG
2012 Ural Patrol

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Ragmanx1 wrote:...snip...

I think this will work;

They also have a ceramic connector. It's only about 10 bucks, but I don't know how it will fit in the housing.

...snip...

SteveG

I do not think you really need a ceramic connector. You need a ceramic connector if you go with a 80/100 H4 bulb - it is a hot one. Otherwise...

The connector may or may not fit in the headlight bucket. It depends what type of bulb you put in there. Largest size is a LED bulb, and a halogen H4 will fit fine, a HID bulb will fit if you move the connector behind the bucket.

The lens you suggest is the correct Hella lens.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Ragmanx1 wrote:Brian

I think this will work;

Thanks again.

Ok...I was under the impression you had decided to go with the DOT type H4. Yes, it will work.

It is NOT the headlamp I recommended, although it IS still a Hella and a good product.

If you want the best bang for the buck, very cost effective, and still road legal, then you should order the 7" round Hella E-code (or ECE), H4.

Amazon seems to sell these only in pairs, so if you dont have a friend that wants one and is willing to split the cost, then just order one from here: http://headlightservices.com/Headlamps.html They sell both the Cibie and the Hella. The Cibie has a domed lens, similar to what came with your Ural. The Hella is much flatter. Both work very well.

With either one, if you order the standard (60/55) wattage H4 bulb, (Phillips, Sylvania, Narva, Osram) you wont need the ceramic plug.

Make sure you use some 'bulb grease' on the H4 pins when you install it.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:33 pm

As usual, I got carried away and ordered not the best bulb.

I think I'll return it to Amazon and order the E-code (or ECE) from Head light services.
I want to get the best Hella.

Steve
2012 Ural Patrol

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 am

Ragmanx1 wrote:As usual, I got carried away and ordered not the best bulb.

I think I'll return it to Amazon and order the E-code (or ECE) from Head light services.
I want to get the best Hella.

Steve

Sorry if things got confusing but you will be happy with the E-code headlamp. You can buy the standard H4 bulbs as replacements at any local autoparts store.

I have ordered several items from Headlight Services and his shipping service is quick.

Let us know how you like it...

Last edited by tx2sturgis on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:09 am

Duplicate removed.
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:10 am

While we're on the subject, I notice that Phillips has a new high quality H4 LED bulb....

Not cheap...$250 for a pair. (MSRP)

Supposed to be a good replacement for an H4 Halogen bulb in a DOT (or presumably an E-code) headlamp.

This is not one of the cheap chinese H4 LEDs so this might be a good upgrade. I will wait to see if others have good luck with it.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

lovern98

Postby lovern98 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:10 am

Cyclops adventure sports. H4 LED replacement bulbs. Very, very bright..

Eric
"Why is it that there is never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over?"

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Amazon sells the Hella E4 as a single unit. You do not have to buy 2 of them.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:04 pm

siberman1 wrote:Amazon sells the Hella E4 as a single unit. You do not have to buy 2 of them.

YMMV

I guess by 'E4' you mean its an H4 E-code?

Ok cool....thanks.

I prefer to order all my headlight related stuff from Headlight Services, but for others, that will be good information.

---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”