Headlite Bulb

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Headlite Bulb

Postby rivers » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 pm

Duly noted. No never lived in Boston, yet after a couple months in Dedham I was pretty sure I was not in the low rent district. But $60 for a $20 bulb at best is ridiculous regardless of what the rental plants in the showroom cost.
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H831401 ... la+h4+bulb
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:59 am

You can have UNE. Restocking fee is ridiculous at 20%. They don't answer their phones during regular business hours, returns are a PIA. I wouldn't do business with those guys on a bet. Just one man's opinion.
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

Nybigdog82162
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Nybigdog82162 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 am

didn't mean to stir the UNE pot, I actually have been there personally myself, nice set-up & plenty of stuff in stock...bought many things from them on-line. I agree higher prices, but they stock a bunch of stuff.

Just looking to see if anyone had converted headlight to an LED set-up...

Think this is the same bulb???

Tim

2013 Gear Up Gobi

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 am

It's probably a different situation when you can just walk in. Unfortunately I live in the geographical oppsite side if the country. Washington state.
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 am

Nybigdog82162 wrote:didn't mean to stir the UNE pot, I actually have been there personally myself, nice set-up & plenty of stuff in stock...bought many things from them on-line. I agree higher prices, but they stock a bunch of stuff.

Just looking to see if anyone had converted headlight to an LED set-up...

Think this is the same bulb???

It will "probably " work. The extra metal rings are to be able to fit the bulb in different configuration housings, like H11, H4, etc. When I mention that a bulb like HID has only 1/4" room/space before the end of the headlight bucket, that is a critical measurement. Also, it is critical as to the orientation of the bulb - like on a clock face. One LED face needs to be at 6 to be the high beam for the lower reflector. It could be the other way around at 12, with 2 diagonals pointing to a high beam reflector. Some LED bulbs do not do this properly, so it screws up the light pattern and dispersion. (photo added)

The LED bulb has a big fat diameter fan on the end and the bucket gets narrower and narrower towards the end. Will this fit without touching the bucket? I do not know. If it fits, then how much do you have to crunch the wires to get the 3-prong connectors together? I took the 3-prong connector apart and reassembled it behind the headlight bucket to make it easier on the wires and for space. You can not push the 3-prong connector through the hole in the back of the bucket unless you take it apart and reassemble.

It is just something to think about when putting really new technology into a 70 year old design machine.

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

jae
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jae » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Instead of going with the traditional look replacement housing and LED bulb in H4 format, I'm looking at doing a total LED housing replacement, like one of these. Unfortunately I don't know how soon I'll have my bike back to test them out. Either way, I've got 3 or 4 bikes with 7" housings so I may try out a few different ones and just see how it goes, especially since I'll probably end up swapping a pair into my '71 C10 as well at some point. I will also go ahead and acknowledge that this will make road-side bulb replacement more difficult should the bulb ever fail, but I would prefer a housing designed for the type of bulb inside, and standard housings are just NOT designed to properly project LED (or HID) light patterns.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152J1JR6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JKIRQ6

(edit to include one final note: if you'd like a semi-scientific review/comparison of quite a few 7" led housings, check out user "Headlight Revolution" on youtube)

As a side note, I'd be hesitant to use a "Euro" housing on a bike that's driven on the right hand side of the road. Doesn't that typically indicate that the beam cut-off is on the right hand side, rather than the left? If you have photographic evidence that this is not the case, I'd love to know, because I'm honestly uncertain. My only experience is with guys swapping Euro (EDM) headlights into cars and ending up blinding oncoming traffic because the cut-off is designed for driving on the other side of the street.
'14 Patrol purchased 1/9/16, OR 1.02 map, 497km on first engine. New engine, throttle bodies, throttle cable, rear brake pads/rotor, final drive and 2wd shaft u-joints as of 8/20/16. Mods

'06 Triumph Sprint (naked), '07 Hyosung GV650, '05 Hyosung GT650, '92 Honda Z50 (125cc now), '87 Yamaha Venture (naked, hacked rat), '04 Yamaha PW50 for the boy, '06 Suzi GSX-R 600 project

ChiefPockets
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ChiefPockets » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:29 pm

That "Harley-Davidson" one posted by siberman1 and the "UralNE" by Nybigdog82162 both look a lot like the 2500 lumen Cyron that a few people have recommended (looking at you, Tomcatfixer). It fits with the stock reflector but offers a terrible beam pattern. The beam is apparently way better when the bulb is paired with the Hella reflector.
ChiefPockets
Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
2015 Asphalt Gear-Up

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

The second one posted by jae is similar to the Trucklite LED headlight. (WHDZ 7 Inch Round Led Headlight for Jeep Wrangler) It sticks out a little in the front, maybe 3/8", and "offers a terrible beam pattern. " There were dark spots in the low beam and I always had to ride with the high beam on at night - a PITA.

The main problem with LED bulbs going in a Hella is the Hi and Lo LED thingies are in the same vertical plane. They need to be spaced front to back for the light position to work with the Hella reflector lens. A HID H4 Hi/Lo solves this problem by staggering front to back similar to a standard H4 halogen bulb.

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Ragmanx1 wrote:Thanx for the input. I'll order the Hella H-4.

Make sure you order an E-code unit.

Hella E-Code H4.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Patrol

2013 Ural Solo sT

The road IS my home. I'm always there. I'm always home.

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey Brian - Why the E code.

Is this the E-Code lamp you recommend?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-Lig ... A002395991

Thanx
SteveG
2012 Ural Patrol

ChiefPockets
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ChiefPockets » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:58 pm

If you're in Europe that one might cut it. In the US I'd go for something DOT approved. The one I just bought (recommended by Tomcatfixer) is linked below (alternately, just search amazon.com for "HELLA 002395991"). My Ural is currently parked due to mysterious MIL/engine troubles, but a quick check against a wall of my garage shows a pretty good horizontal low beam cutoff with a bit of a hotspot in the middle. High beams raise the cutoff a bit. I only tested it with the Cyron LED H4, though it did come with a 55/60W Hella H4 halogen bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395991-T ... +002395991
ChiefPockets
Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
2015 Asphalt Gear-Up

jae
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jae » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 pm

siberman1 wrote:The second one posted by jae is similar to the Trucklite LED headlight. (WHDZ 7 Inch Round Led Headlight for Jeep Wrangler) It sticks out a little in the front, maybe 3/8", and "offers a terrible beam pattern. " There were dark spots in the low beam and I always had to ride with the high beam on at night - a PITA.

The main problem with LED bulbs going in a Hella is the Hi and Lo LED thingies are in the same vertical plane. They need to be spaced front to back for the light position to work with the Hella reflector lens. A HID H4 Hi/Lo solves this problem by staggering front to back similar to a standard H4 halogen bulb.

YMMV

Yeah, I've been debating back and forth about going with an "authentic" light, or going with a knockoff. Since (as previously stated) I've got multiple bikes running a 7" round headlight as well as a '71 C10 that I'd like to upgrade, I went with the authentic Trucklite 27270C lights. I found that through Napa Auto Parts online store I could get a pair for about $230 (including shipping and tax), so it didn't make much sense to go with a knock off. Night time lighting is nothing you want to cheap out on (I've also learned this the hard way).

Also, I'm kind of impressed by the review the Trucklite got.

Made in the US, 3 year warranty, and carries DOT approval. Something you can't say about any other LED drop-in bulb/lens combination. One thing most people don't realize is that a DOT rating is only given for a housing with a certain bulb type (i.e. only standard halogen bulbs maintain DOT approval in the standard housings).

I'll see if I can post up a before/after and installation/review video when I get them in.
'14 Patrol purchased 1/9/16, OR 1.02 map, 497km on first engine. New engine, throttle bodies, throttle cable, rear brake pads/rotor, final drive and 2wd shaft u-joints as of 8/20/16. Mods

'06 Triumph Sprint (naked), '07 Hyosung GV650, '05 Hyosung GT650, '92 Honda Z50 (125cc now), '87 Yamaha Venture (naked, hacked rat), '04 Yamaha PW50 for the boy, '06 Suzi GSX-R 600 project

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25 am

ChiefPockets wrote:If you're in Europe that one might cut it. In the US I'd go for something DOT approved.

E-code headlamps ARE DOT approved for motorcycle use in the USA.

Sometimes they will have the letters SAE M or the word 'Motorcycle' on the bulb or the packaging.

It's the hideous and illegal use of cheap chinese LED and HID bulb inserts in DOT housings that underperform, cause glare, and are often unreliable. I assume that using these units in an E-code housing would mitigate the glare somewhat.

The Ural, Trucklite, and Grote (and similar good quality) DOT approved LED headlamps are perfectly fine. I'm talking about the cheap aftermarket junk that people install in a factory DOT headlamp housing.

If you do not see the letters "DOT" imprinted on an HID ballast, then it is NOT DOT approved. I tried a HID unit on one of my motorcycles with a DOT headlamp housing and found it to be a piece of crap. Unreliable after starting the bike, and yes the light WAS bright, but completely unfocused with lots of glare at the oncoming vehicles even on low beam. And yes, I DO know how to adjust headlamps.

BTW...DOT (FMVSS) standards are primarily aimed at manufacturers and do not necessarily mean that the individual states bother with the standards. From what I can find, only a handful of states closely inspect headlights during the yearly vehicle inspection. Most inspections involve a simple Hi/Lo test. In Texas where I live, they only check for proper operation on both Hi and Low (aim is not checked) and the actual state law is that at night, they must illuminate the road for 150 feet in front of the vehicle.

At any rate, headlamps are a safety item, I only use units that I can count on, and that work well.
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Patrol

2013 Ural Solo sT

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 am

Ragmanx1 wrote:Hey Brian - Why the E code.

Is this the E-Code lamp you recommend?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-Lig ... A002395991

Thanx
SteveG

If it is a Hella or Cibie unit, with the E or (ECE) pattern, (for right side traffic), then yes, its the lamp you should use. It looks like the one you linked to is the Hella unit.

The Cibie has a curved face, the Hella is flatter, either one works well. They both have a highly polished and silvered inner reflector, which helps enhance the the brightness of the light.

The lens on E-code lighting provides a nice broad, low, pattern on low beam, and a more narrow, focused high beam. On low beam the pattern has a nice distinct cutoff just below the horizon, so you get lots of light on the road, but no glare for oncoming drivers. When you are on a motorcycle, the LAST thing you want is for the oncoming driver to be partially blinded by your low beam and not be able to see the lane markers, and maybe even hit their high beam in response. Two blinded drivers are not better than one.

DOT specifications allow more glare in the oncoming drivers eyes. This is fact. The specs were drawn up many decades ago when standard 35 watt sealed beams were all that we had on cars or bikes.

Getting back to the E-code, there is also a 15 degree wedge of light to the upper right side, which helps light up road signs but does not interfere with oncoming drivers.

This also needs mentioning: the beam pattern is more precise, so the aiming for E-code headlamps is more critical.

I personally use Hella H4 E-code lamps since the cost is inline with what I want to pay for a good quality headlamp.

E-Code headlamps are LEGAL and DOT approved for motorcycle use in the USA, assuming you install it with a standard 55/60watt H4 bulb. Over the years, some motorcycles sold in the USA, even some touring models of Harley Davidson, have come with E-Code Bosch headlamps as standard equipment from the factory.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Patrol

2013 Ural Solo sT

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:23 pm

jae wrote:
siberman1 wrote:The second one posted by jae is similar to the Trucklite LED headlight. (WHDZ 7 Inch Round Led Headlight for Jeep Wrangler) It sticks out a little in the front, maybe 3/8", and "offers a terrible beam pattern. " There were dark spots in the low beam and I always had to ride with the high beam on at night - a PITA.

YMMV

Yeah, I've been debating back and forth about going with an "authentic" light, or going with a knockoff. ..snip...

Also, I'm kind of impressed by the review the Trucklite got.

Made in the US, 3 year warranty, and carries DOT approval. Something you can't say about any other LED drop-in bulb/lens combination. ...snip....

I had a Trucklite LED light. It was and is a piece of crap made in the good ol' US of A. Call it a USPOC. There were too many dark spots in low beam, not bright enough on low beam, very expensive, heavy, etc. Maybe it is better if you have 2 of them but I don't think so. That's my review of the Trucklite and I'm sticking to it.

The Cibie is better than the Hella, but harder to find. I could not get a Cibie lens when I was ordering something, so I got a Hella E4. It is a close enough second for me, I just like the l just like the "appearance" of the Cibie better than the Hella.

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”