Headlite Bulb

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Ragmanx1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Headlite Bulb

Postby Ragmanx1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:56 am

I'd like to replace the stock headlite bulb on my 2012 Patrol.

Can some one suggest a brighter replacement bulb and a good place to buy it?

SteveG
2012 Ural Patrol

siberman1

Re: Headlite Bulb

Postby siberman1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 pm

I would suggest a Hella or Cibie lens housing, about $38 for one. Of the 2 brands, the Cibie is the better unit, but both are light years ahead of a stock headlight. Then the choice is H4 Halogen, HID High Intensity Discharge, or LED bulb. You want the E4 designation on the Hella.

Halogen is the cheapest - and Sylvania Blue (or something like that) is a good bulb at 55w/60w. You can get a 55w/100w or a 80w/100w, but the higher watts need ceramic connector and take more amps + give off a lot of heat. Bulbs are under $15 (just guessing)

HID H4 Hi/Lo bulb- comes with 2 ballasts smaller than a deck of cards and can be 35w or 55w. The 35w is perfectly fine, about 10x the light of halogen. The color output is best at 5000K, any higher number is just a waste of light band IMO. DDMTuning sells motorcycle H4-Hi/Lo Kit for about $38. Light positions are correct and work just fantastic with either Hella or Cibie lens. Both ballasts will fit with assorted wires behind the headlight bucket under the speedo and bulb fits fine. If you do not want to goof with 2 ballasts, a single element H4 HID is only 1 ballast and cheaper. You would have to cross connect the Hi/Lo wires to make sure the bulb is on all the time no matter where the Hi/Lo switch is.

LED bulb- Expensive, Ural has one about $100 or so, and other aftermarket have a similar bulb for less $$. The light output is awesome, but uncontrolled. Both the Hi and Low portions of the bulb are in the same vertical plane, and they need to be front-to-back parallel planes so the high beam is in correct position for the lower reflector in the lens (glass housing) and the low beam is back farther for the low beam reflector. Mr. Cob know this already and think the light, while impressive, just goes all over and has shadows + not good aim. (At least that is what I remember, correct me if I am wrong) Also, the LED bulb has a fan on the back, you need to know if this will fit inside of your headlight bucket (if buckets are not all the same? I don't think the current LED bulb is worth it with the current glass or polycarbonate lens - JMO.

I measured my headlight bucket and the HID has 1/4" room to spare at the back of the bucket. The HID has no shadows and is awesome bright. It is so bright I just added a LED flood to the tub bumper and the total is enough light for anyone IMO. It is also very little in the way of amps/watts. I am a little excessive on what lights to use, and I see no reason to add lots of halogens as others have done. I just choose HID and 1 LED and get some (possibly) totally blinding light at low watts. You can also replace the bulbs in turn signals/brake lights with LEDs, sort of a fun head-scratching Ivan idiocy wiring exercise. :sarcasm:

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm old school, literally. I've run H4 headlamps in my bike since I discovered them in the late 70s. More than enough light for a two-wheeler at 70mph.

I took the 7" [176mm] Bosch H4 out of my old Windjammer and put it in the Dnepr fit right in; night is now day. The only thing I'm thinking of doing is adding some extra spring clips.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-H4-Motorcyc ... B0083M1PC4
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Lmo wrote:I'm old school, literally. I've run H4 headlamps in my bike since I discovered them in the late 70s. More than enough light for a two-wheeler at 70mph.

I took the 7" [176mm] Bosch H4 out of my old Windjammer and put it in the Dnepr fit right in; night is now day. The only thing I'm thinking of doing is adding some extra spring clips.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-H4-Motorcyc ... B0083M1PC4

Geeze, that can't be the price, it must be the phone number!!! $264.99????

The correct one is:
HELLA 002395991 7" H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp, $39.73 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395991-T ... VQ031J7S9S

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

rivers

Postby rivers » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Lotsa choices. I've run the 7" H4 Hella e-code(Euro) lamps with the standard 55/60w bulbs in a few bikes. Great improvement over the stock lamp. Much better lamp/reflector design. It's about lamp/reflector design not wattage/power Is there a better set-up? Probably, but the Hella is an excellent bang for the buck lamp. No need to spend hundreds for a much better headlight. Just my opinion.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Don't be afraid to experiment, especially if it's cheap. Here is my homebrew collection of headlight parts gathered on Ebay for under $50., a "projector" diamond cut 7" reflector, with H4 cree LED, + blue LED pilot bulb (always on) Also fitted LED driving light bulbs to my auxiliary spots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:55 pm

$269, didn't notice that. And of course it isn't the suggest retail price, which is something like $56. But cheaper if you look for it.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Vermeer
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Vermeer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I got a Hella lens from Amazon for around $39.00 and the Cyclops H4 3800 LED for my 05 Retro and absolutely love it. It took less than 5 minutes to install and the visibility and light projection is outstanding. I highly recommend it.
2005 Ural Retro - "Natasha"
2016 Ural cT - "Anastasia"
2016 Ural cT - "Nadia"
2006 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe - "Pearl"

"The function of a man is to live, not exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them, I shall use my time" - Jack London (via Ken "The Snake" Stabler)

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Hella E-Code, (7" round) with standard H4 bulb.

Best bang for the buck.

Add an LED driving light and night turns into day.

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Ragmanx1

Postby Ragmanx1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanx for the input. I'll order the Hella H-4.

Any big hassle changing out the bulb?
2012 Ural Patrol

Nybigdog82162
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Nybigdog82162 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:05 pm

UNE has a new LED H4...anyone tried it yet?

Tim

2013 Gear Up Gobi

rivers

Postby rivers » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:34 pm

As usual with UNE. Ridiculous price for just the bulb. Shop elsewhere.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Straight forward mechanical stuff. Three or more spring clips hold the reflector into the headlight. The H4 bulb is secured into the reflector with a spring lock system. Totally self explanatory when you get that far.

They are all pretty similar.

As with any H4 bulb, do not touch the glass portion with your bare fingers. The oil/acid in your perspiration will attack the glass and shorten its life span.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:01 pm

rivers wrote:As usual with UNE. Ridiculous price for just the bulb. Shop elsewhere.

I respectfully beg to differ with your opinion as stated. Prior to actually being in Boston, I had the same viewpoint.

I visited Boston and the surrounding area last week. I was astounded at the difference in cost of living, rents, house costs, price of steak at local big supermarket, no free services, and gas prices.

First, gas was $1.60 in Boston area, wow! However, try to get "free flat fixed (1 tire), tire rotation & balancing" was $60-$95 at the few tire places I could find. I was told "Nothing is Free in Boston!". I was at dinner with friends and the price of steak came up. Here in ID it is about $4-$5/pound for steak. The one I was eating at friend's home was $19.75/pound! That was the $$ for a medium cut steak! A junky old building apartment 30 miles from Boston was $1200/mo, in Boston it would be $2000/mo. I saw crappy small houses around advertised for the $750K and up range. A condo was over $500K. Cripes, the standard of living there is just out of sight, in my opinion. I don't mention (hah!) not seeing any grass whatsoever in Boston in 2 days, no sun, dirty streets, drivers like maniacs, and so on. I drove at 70mph in a 55mph zone and was being passed like I was chained to a tree.

I visited UralNE and Dimitry. He is very personable and gracious, and has a very nice set of sales/maint. buildings. Dimitry also puts a lot of extras on Ural, or BMWs and Mercedes for that matter, and sells them in his market. UralNE has about 25-30 Urals of different flavors, some with special colors, and equipment. People from all over USA buy from UralNE. While I was there, a GU was being put in a buyers' covered trailer to go to Nevada. Heck, I was there from Idaho!

So, I really can't knock UralNE pricing on their parts or vehicles. Maybe it is more than what you pay in other states, but UralNE has whatever you want and can make nearly any combination that you want, pronto. I may not be able to pay his price, but he has the product. Overall I was very favorably impressed with UralNE, Alpha Cars, and Dimitry.

Time is money, money is time, If you want it NOW, UralNE usually has it, it just costs more.

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Lmo wrote:

Straight forward mechanical stuff. Three or more spring clips hold the reflector into the headlight. The H4 bulb is secured into the reflector with a spring lock system. Totally self explanatory when you get that far.

They are all pretty similar.

As with any H4 bulb, do not touch the glass portion with your bare fingers. The oil/acid in your perspiration will attack the glass and shorten its life span.

The rubber weather seal from a H4 Halogen will not fit the H4 LED Fan housing. The rubber weather seal will fit a HID H4 Hi/Lo with slight Xacto modification.

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”