Van Recommended Spline Grease

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
keetmanaa
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Van Recommended Spline Grease

Postby keetmanaa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:17 am

I recall Van, in a video or post, extolling the properties of a certain grease but I have been unable to find the quote. Is this it?

STABURAGS NBU 30 PTM (50g)
2015 Gear Up
2010 Yamaha WR250R
2004 DL650 V Strom

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Van Recommended Spline Grease

Postby gobium » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 am

I use it on gear box spline.
stuff is not cheap and it goes a long way.
very sticky.
BMW tech use them KLUBER
20160202_093000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Yep, that tube is about $35 to $40 and a full grease gun tube of it is $150!

http://www.amazon.com/Kluber-Spindle-Gr ... ubrication
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 pm

harryball wrote:Yep, that tube is about $35 to $40 and a full grease gun tube of it is $150!

http://www.amazon.com/Kluber-Spindle-Gr ... ubrication

35 bucks tube lasted me for 5 years over a dozen Ural.
One on Amazon seems not the same spec

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby wooden nickel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Dang we got that stuff in cases at my last job before I retired. It was the only grease recommended in the electric motors of our Austrian presses We never wasted any of it so I never got to retrieve any of it from the trash. I guess I'll have to get by with my Honda lube.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:42 pm

Kluber is very sticky and hi and low temp.
Sticky=Not contaminate clucth plates and slipping

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:46 pm

I have used Honda Moly 60 that everybody was recommending. it is much cheaper than the Kluber, but then again, I know nothing about Ural bikes. I just looked at several posts and found that a vast majority were recommending Honda Moly grease. I just happened to have a tube full of this grease and used it.
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:33 pm

I just see a toothpaste commercial... "Van recommended, Rick tested!"

Gonna have to order some grease.
---
Robert

lpenney
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lpenney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Is this for splines only, or can it be used for wheel bearings is well?
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 Yamaha TW200 (gone but not forgotten)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 pm

lpenney wrote:Is this for splines only, or can it be used for wheel bearings is well?

For splines.,too expensive for wheel
50 gram= 1.7oz? $40

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 am

I am such a bum, still use anti-seize on my splines...yeah, I know have heard all the horror stories experienced none in over 350K miles on Beemers and Urals. That is what BMW used before the fancy stuff was invented on splines just like ours. After 45K the splines still look good and no other problems, will keep on using it until the big expensive jar is empty. Using "normal" grease (like dry before I changed tires the 1st time) let's just say I did not get acceptable mileage out of FD splines...regardless use good grease (the stuff Gobium recommends is pretty much the best there is) or go old school...you know, pays your money and takes your chances...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Postby S 854 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 pm

lpenney wrote:Is this for splines only, or can it be used for wheel bearings is well?

Yer '07 has sealed wheel bearings... No need to grease 'em...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:00 pm

OK, as I need to order something I wanted to sort this out... however it's about as clear as mud and it looks like there are many options to do pretty much the same thing with differences in performance that probably don't even factor in with Ural tolerances.
http://www.klueber.com/en/lubricants/az/?letter=A

Van's grease is STABURAGS NBU 30 PTM
Item.-No.: 017069
STABURAGS NBU 30 PTM
Lubricating and assembly grease
STABURAGS NBU 30 PTM is an assembly grease containing a solid lubricant. It is resistant to water and protects against tribo-corrosion (fretting corrosion). It has proven effective in outdoor applications subject to high humidity.
Benefits for your application
Assembly grease protecting against tribo-corrosion
Good corrosion protection
Excellent resistance to water even under outdoor conditions
Approved by the company Knorr Bremse, N 12006-37

On Amazon I found is ISOFLEX NBU 15
Item.-No.: 004026
ISOFLEX NBU 15
Spindle bearing grease
Product description
ISOFLEX NBU 15 is a high-speed grease with a good pressure absorption capacity.
Tried and tested over many years especially in high-speed applications
Longer component life due to optimized wear protection and good pressure absorption capacity
Excellent resistance to water and media as well as above-average anticorrosive additives protect bearings against premature failure, thus helping to minimize repair costs
Low intrinsic bearing heat due to low lubricant friction enabling longer service life
Uninterrupted machine operation due to good pumpability and metering in customary centralized lubricating systems

Also On Amazon I found ISOFLEX TOPAS NB 52
Item.-No.: 004131
ISOFLEX TOPAS NB 52
Synthetic rolling and plain bearing greases
Product description
ISOFLEX TOPAS NB 52 and ISOFLEX TOPAS NB 152 are rolling and plain bearing greases based on a synthetic hydrocarbon oil and a barium complex soap. The special barium-soap thickener used in the ISOFLEX TOPAS NB 52 and 152 greases offers good load-carrying capacity as well as resistance to water and ambient media unlike other soap-based thickeners. Both products show good protection against corrosion as well as oxidation and ageing stability. The Klüber barium complex soap is ELINCS-registered and approved by GASG (Global Automotive Stakeholders Group).
Longer component life when exposed to water or aqueous media due to special thickener
Many years of successful use in the automotive and machine building industries

There are a few others on Amazon you can look up like
ISOFLEX NCA 15 Spindle bearing grease
ISOFLEX TOPAS NCA 52 Synthetic long-term grease for rolling and plain bearings, linear motion guides
AMBLYGON TA 30/1 Special greases for long-term lubrication and high temperatures

Based on that, I don't know if it actually makes a hill of beans worth of difference, it's all good grease.

Interesting, the stuff Van has is NOT available direct from Kluber, https://www.klubershop.com/
When I enter the part number it is not found. Maybe discontinued?

I did find it here... don't know if it's actually available or if it's old stock.
http://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-l ... oCtJnw_wcB

So... I'll probably order something from Amazon and move along.
---
Robert

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I got my kluber from BMW service center.
my good friend Chris Harris

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Boy this sure has the makings of a high viscosity oil thread. :roll:

What you have to understand are the conditions under which the grease needs to work. Bearings are packed with grease and they normally operate at relatively high speeds. If they are sealed the grease stays put. If not, it oozes out, but the area where it operates is not affected by it. If it were the bearings would be sealed.

The spline grease in intended to provide corrosion protection probaby as the number 1 job. The second job it to lubricate the spline on the tranny and the mating spline on the clutch. These two parts rotate together so they are nothing like a ball or roller bearing. Their action also does not generate the development of an oil wedge between the mating parts. Actually, the parts scrap (slide) against each other at a low speed and pretty much try to squeegee the grease off each other. The other consideration is your clutch discs are just outboard of the splines so last thing you want it grease oozing or flinging outward on to the clutch friction surfaces.

So, you need a sticky/tacky grease that will adhere to the parts you put it on. This will do two things. First, it will get dragged back across the surface that just got scraped clean and some will stick to that surface as the mating part goes by. It's like hot cheese on a pizza. When you take a slice out of the tray, you leave a trail of cheese strings. So, there is always some grease on the surface to lubricate and protect against corrosion. Second, it stays put in that it resists the forces of inertia that would fling other greases outward and onto the clutch friction surfaces.

So, you can probably get away with regular grease or anti-sieze if you use it very sparingly. But it will not have a long life. The extended life/protection is why they make specialty greases like this. But much like extreme temp greases, they are not easy to make, don't have a huge market volume like wheel bearing grease and therefore cost a lot more.

The choice is always yours. If you have success with your grease, that's great and good for you. Just because there is a better product for the application does not mean you need to use it. But it does provide better service than a product without the special properties.

Another example of a specialty grease is chain lube. The good stuff, like PJ1 Blue, does not fling off. Yup, you can use motor oil on your chain and it will work fine. But your rear wheel will be covered with dirty oil when you get home.

Some people like top shelf booze, some like bottom shelf. They both get you equally loaded, just at a different price and with a different flavor. All depends where your priorities are.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”