Break in newbie question......

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Break in newbie question......

Postby Peter Pan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 pm

I didn't read all comments, but my 2013 Patrol needed (18.000) 21.000km to become free and running smooth.
Give time to time, specially in winter...Even in our ethernal spring I do not pull full throttle before 6km. In winter the engine never heats up at all.
In the beginning let´s say 5000km forget about the 4th gear.
If you do not install a rev meter, then take as rule. If you test throttle response and no speed response comes, go down a gear and slow down until the engine sounds right and you feel it happy.
The week point are the pressed cranks...they bend and kill the engine. These engine need to rev freely.
With EACH oil change you will see positive changes. (My personal opinion and often from others blamed...DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL UNTIL THE ENGINE IS REALY FREE. Give her at least 5000km dinosaur blood elixir )

So until AFTER 5000km you might think for needed power / steep slopes and/or strong head wind.
1st gear 23-25mph
2nd gear 32-35mph
3rd gear 48-54mph
which are 4500 to 5500 revs.
The bike is the one who dictated the speed, specially when new.
After that you can rev in 3rd up to 54-55mph and get into 4th. Under 48mph the 4th should never be forced. I use it only as overdrive in our mountain range.

When the engine is really free you can roll at 2000revs and pull out slowly from 2500-3000 revs, but happy is the engine at the same 4500 to 5500 revs: the sweet spot. ex factory.

My own experience with new or recently overhauled engines in snow ...they do not like it and you pay a high price in not waiting until spring like weather. (Yes Sirs, I too spent a few years in nice snow when the Weicheier / soft eggs stayed in warm pubs)
Hope that helps.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

prahaben
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby prahaben » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Like all the others above said. Nice and slow. Wide open throttle is many many kilometers away. Treat it like a high school girlfriend: sure you want to go real fast quickly and see what she can do - but realistically if you want to grow old with her you have to go slow and let her tell you when she is ready.

I think I just surrendered my man card........
Owned by a 2006 Ural Patrol

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 am

Just throwing this out there, but clean, change your air filter.....I was riding once and was WFO and only could get to 50-55,,knowing I have gone faster and knew something was wrong...when I got to a stopping point I changed my Air Filter and it went back to normal. Engine needs to breath just like you and me. :thumbsup:
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm

So hey Proffessor, how is the riding these days?
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby markhas » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 pm

:lurker:
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”