Mileage on a Ural

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Mileage on a Ural

Postby rivers » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:48 pm

mouka wrote:
chaos2 wrote:also nice thing about newer Urals is they outsourced many parts; alternator, disc brakes, efi and carbs, gears, switches, shocks....

Does this apply to older models like mine that was built in 2003?
I know for sure that the newer models with closed loop efi will be a lot more reliable and will break a lot less often. I was just curious to know how many miles one can put on a Ural before it is considered unworthy of being on the road.
I love the fact that it's a very simple design and I would love to keep mine until the day I die or can't ride any more. I just hope I can find spare parts to keep it running like a top.
If you wanted to know, I probably do not ride more than a few hundreds of miles every year. I have never taken a trip of more than 100 miles round trip. So my question about mileage might sound silly, but I wanted to know how reliable these bikes can be over the long run.

How long before it's unroadworthy junk is all up to you. As in your riding style and how well you maintain/repair it during it's life. So far as parts availability 20-30 years from now? I'd guess that'll depend on how healthy IMZ stays over the years? I'm already retired and my 014 is my dedicated retirement transportation/hobby bike and "planing anyway" to still be on it 20 years from now. My crystal ball is also getting cataracts so I guess time will tell I guess? My back-up if the 014 electro gizmos go south and get too expensive I'll swap in an early IMZ/KMZ flathead motor. Silly simple reliable tech and even if I'm too old and gimped up to fix it myself...any lawnmower shop should be able to repair a flattie. If you want to keep your 03 forever, "now" is the time to make the commitment to servicing. Get her running up to spec. Stay away from irreversible exotic mods in the hopes of improving the brand. It is what it is. Ride it within it's design parameters, service religiously, repair when needed, ride some more. Then lather, rinse. repeat.
It's all good. Vroom vroom.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

3 bike mike
Comrade
Comrade

Postby 3 bike mike » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:57 pm

There is a story on the internet of a guy who rode his from England to Ulaanbaatar,Mongolia. AND BACK. !
He had a few problems along the way, but you would expect that even in a new 4x4 Toyota

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Wanderrad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:38 pm

I have had to do some dialing in on my rig and it wasn't set up properly when I bought it. But after the first year of ownership it seems pretty darn solid. The thing is that I'm so addicted to it that I wouldn't want to think about not having it. I could imagine having another one though :twisted:
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Unlike a modern BMW, Urals are a collection of simple parts and have no complicated specialized subcomponents that will cost mucho dinero if and when they do fail down the road. One could argue they're obsolete from the factory, but at least they will always be serviceable in some fashion.

Industrial products from COMECON countries may not have traditionally necessarily been built with high quality control, but they were built _to last_. That much is for sure.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

Steve7959
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Steve7959 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:57 am

Scrap pile.jpg

.......... all 'projects' waiting to be fixed :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

2004 Ural Dalesman
'91 Honda VFR 750
'98 BMW F650

Sometimes I sit and think
............. mostly I just sit

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:34 am

Steve, seems its time to get some boats out of that pile.
...wait... that is on the other side of the fence...
...don't bother.
They too, sooner or later will get a bite from the nostalgic bug, like first the Tommies got, then we Krauts and now it is spread all over the western world.
While there are places that dislike actually their heritage, others will be happy to get a "bargain"...often more expensive, then getting a brand new toy.

By the way. the most beautiful and second best running Ural I have met was a 1986 in Washington state. Owner the son in law of the first owner.
Hope his doctor visits now brighten more his face...that day in June 2013 he was pretty worried.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

hillbillybob
Party Member
Party Member

Postby hillbillybob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 am

That photo is hard to believe. Someone should be hung for treating that Russion Iron in such a manner....or at least brought up on cruelty to Ural charges.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris" (38/125 out, 40/135 in, much better)
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (12,802 breakdown free miles)

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:31 pm

That collection must be in Russia. Urals get no respect there. I keep imagining all the bits in that pile winding up on ebay!
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:read the posts above. Jay's 2000 ural went 300,000 k before he sold it. Believe it is still running. Of course he did upgrade from 650 to 750. Billy G is probably pushing 300.000 on his 2000 Ural as well. Big James just topped 78k and he is begging for his rig to break so he has an excuse to buy that 2013 M70 (the one I want but cannot afford) :lol: :lol: :lol:

75K...but who's counting...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (90K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:30 pm

hillbillybob wrote:That photo is hard to believe. Someone should be hung for treating that Russion Iron in such a manner....or at least brought up on cruelty to Ural charges.

Surprised Harleych hasn't tossed a pic in here that would make you all cringe. This summer saw more than on pile of junk that included Dnepr, Izh and Ural engines, wheels, sidecar bodies (Ural and Dnepr), gas tanks... He found 11 Dnepr wheels just being tossed... out in the villages it is just junk.
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

Alan_Hepburn
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Alan_Hepburn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:26 pm

mouka wrote:Hi,

I was wondering how many miles one can put on a Ural before the bike is junk?

There are those who will say they come from the factory as junk - but what do they know? :D

I have seen some Honda bikes go over 200,000 miles. The owners of these bikes say that a few things have been replaced here and there but that big issues like engine or transmission failures are fairly rare.

Reminds me of a story my Dad used to to tell us: he had an axe that was once owned by Daniel Boone - the handle had been replaced 4 times over the years, and the head had been replaced 6 times, but still...

Is the Ural a sturdy and reliable bike that I can enjoy for 10 or 20 years to come? Assuming that I maintain it properly and I don't subject to cruel and unusual punishment.

Mine is a 2006 which makes it 10 years old - still runs great! Ski at TriQuest does all the maintenance on it and I expect it will last at least another 10 years!
Alan Hepburn - Proud to be a Blue Star Family
2006 Ural Tourist

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Steve7959 wrote:
Scrap pile.jpg

.......... all 'projects' waiting to be fixed :wink:

Steve,

Are those Urals complete? If yes, then you might help me out with a set of carbs.
Somehow I am thinking that those are somewhere in Irbit near the mother ship.
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

scan

Postby scan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:52 am

chaos2 wrote:That collection must be in Russia. Urals get no respect there.

Ain't that the truth. I get 99% percent compliments about my rig but about 1% of the time is a story from someone that grew up in Russia telling me how they had a family member or friend who almost died because the bike was a piece of crap and failed in some bizarre way. My favorite story so far was the sidecar breaking off the pusher and sliding down road with wife screaming the whole time.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:36 pm

scan wrote:
chaos2 wrote:That collection must be in Russia. Urals get no respect there.

Ain't that the truth. I get 99% percent compliments about my rig but about 1% of the time is a story from someone that grew up in Russia telling me how they had a family member or friend who almost died because the bike was a piece of crap and failed in some bizarre way. My favorite story so far was the sidecar breaking off the pusher and sliding down road with wife screaming the whole time.

and of course leaving it outside to rust for who knows how long had NOTHING to do with that? Man, 4 attachments points have to break before that happens. Me thinks that is just "one of those stories"... Everybody knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a Bokad... :foilhead:
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:59 pm

mouka wrote:
chaos2 wrote:also nice thing about newer Urals is they outsourced many parts; alternator, disc brakes, efi and carbs, gears, switches, shocks....

Does this apply to older models like mine that was built in 2003?
I know for sure that the newer models with closed loop efi will be a lot more reliable and will break a lot less often. I was just curious to know how many miles one can put on a Ural before it is considered unworthy of being on the road.
I love the fact that it's a very simple design and I would love to keep mine until the day I die or can't ride any more. I just hope I can find spare parts to keep it running like a top.
If you wanted to know, I probably do not ride more than a few hundred miles every year. I have never taken a trip of more than 100 miles round trip. So my question about mileage might sound silly, but I wanted to know how reliable these bikes can be over the long run.

Hi, Your riding habits are similar to mine. I do not Travel on a motorcycle. To me they are about pleasure & fun, working on them or going out for a good romp. I am 69 & have been riding & maintaining/building my own motorcycles for over 50 years, I spend less time riding than I'd like but my health, extreme heat & rain, are my limiting factors. My 1980's Dnepr, & 1994 Ural 650 Tourist were both great.
I deliberately bought a 2002 Ural tourist because it was as good as I could afford when I had the opportunity to buy. It is my third Russian Bike & held no mystery for me. I like the Black & Chrome ROAD models with the equipment they came with back then, with interchangeable 19" drum brake wheels, carburetors, 750cc & ELECTRIC START, Nice mufflers. Mine had the Denso alternator upgrade, better fuel tap. It had a new transmission under warrantee with under 3K total miles on the bike, & a blush of newness still evident.
It is in very good overall condition, & I know I can patch it up the rest of my life, or until I can't ride anymore - which ever comes first. One could even go fuel injected with an engine & associated bits from a wreck, But carburetors are completely owner maintainable. I would replace my Keihin CV's with a new set of Plug & Play Mikuni's IF I could afford them.
I don't think you have to much to worry about. One of the best things you can do to insure the health of any motorcycle is to store it indoors, out of the weather. Best of Luck, Craig
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”