Mileage on a Ural

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Mileage on a Ural

Postby mouka » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how many miles one can put on a Ural before the bike is junk?
I have seen some Honda bikes go over 200,000 miles. The owners of these bikes say that a few things have been replaced here and there but that big issues like engine or transmission failures are fairly rare.
Is the Ural a sturdy and reliable bike that I can enjoy for 10 or 20 years to come? Assuming that I maintain it properly and I don't subject to cruel and unusual punishment.
I used to be a fair weather rider but I feel like my riding habits will change with my Ural. I might be able to ride no matter what the weather. So having a reliable bike is very important for this long term commitment.
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

chaos2
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Mileage on a Ural

Postby chaos2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:15 am

Well, It's not a Honda but it's not junk either. Just reading this forum you'll find random failures and some weak points. I'm gonna ride mine till something major breaks then I'll fix it. Don't buy one if you're expecting trouble free hundreds of thousands of miles.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 am

I know only 3 Urals-
1974 came from Kazakhstan in the ninetees via Siberia, Alaska to Costa Rica. Works like a Swiss clock at unknown HUGE mileage.

2007 was brought into the country by a Canadian miner...gave him a broken skull and shoulder plus 3,5kg Titanium...and he in return in 7500km gave the rig serious clutch trouble plus some other issues that will crystallize in the future and show itself to the new owner. Anyway once sorted out the quirks I am sure El Cuervo will become a reliable work horse.

2013 is my own rig. I made with my son a mayor trip as you can see down in the annex. It gave me some headache until 18.000km. and since then is nearly flawless. Today my son started the 30.000km inspection and I would not hesitate to start the next big trip right away.

All depends on the owner, his riding - and maintenance style and the effort he putts into it and obviously to Murfey's mood.
That said, I met last week a 100ccm Yamaha 2 stroker from 1979, as beautiful and flawless as fresh from the factory. The first owner is a daily rider and has no other vehicle...
As you call into the forest that way the echo will shout back.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:37 am

How many miles on a Ural before the bike is junk? Some would say 1, others would say never. I think they are what they are and if well cared for with proper maintenance and required fixes they can go a very long time, 100k should be easily obtainable. BigJame's rig is already at 75k-km or approaching 50k miles and he's complaining about how well his runs. And they can last virtually forever provided you accept "rebuild" as a normal process. They are designed to be repaired.

Consider old Ford tractors. We had a 601 Workmaster, always cared for, parts replaced when worn out, that tractor kept on going and going, it just never stopped and had thousands of hours on it when we got it, we probably put another 2000 hours on it ourselves. But, parts had to be replaced. I can't think of a single time we went to use it that it wasn't checked and something tweaked. Not always major, but always something. Float valves stuck so the carbs had to be cleaned, linkages wore out, wrist pins wore out, but do the work and it kept on plugging away. I can honestly say I have had to do FAR less work on this John Deere 4310 in the 600 hours on it than the same 600 hours on that 601 Workmaster. I'll also say, that Deere aint going to last anywhere near as long. The 601 Workmaster was designed to be reparable, this Deere is designed to wear out and recycle.

I now have 2 of these things. One now has 12k on it and was very well cared for by the PO and myself. The other I just got has about 35k on it, not so much as well cared for. Based on my first rig, as I dig into the second one I would swear it had far more mileage on it than 35k. It's clutch is about shot, it is noisier, shifts rougher has a tick/knock/something going on in the engine that gives me pause and needs a tremendous amount of cleaning (I knew it was not a perfect bike when purchased so not crying here). The point is, I can not imagine my first rig being in the same condition by simply applying another 23k unless I stop all maintenance, it just wouldn't be possible. If Ursula farts, I want to know why and I go fix it not just throttle up more and keep grinding.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby immulmen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:39 am

Some of it depends on the owner. I had a 1979 Volvo with 350K + miles. It had an Amsoil sticker on the valve cover and parking stickers for NASA in Florida and Texas. Also had a Volvo towed in with a blown motor at 30,000 miles. When asked the owner said "You don't need to change the oil, it's a Volvo"
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:01 am

Jay Gray put over 400,000 kilometers on his 2000 Patrol before he sold it. It all depend on how it is driven and maintained.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Steve7959
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Steve7959 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 am

I'm not sure how the term 'miles til its junk applies'

Obviously, servicing and usage are a major contributing factor to any engine/drive chain/chassis etc

Over the last 20 - 30 years vehicles per say have become a lot more reliable both in terms of what maintenance has to be done and how many mile a vehicle will go.

Improvements are most likely due to better production tolerances, better quality control on the finished product, better metallurgy and manufacturing materials and in running, better lubrication, more efficient combustion.

My last BMW car did 215,000 miles when I sold it. It was still running ok and using negligible oil. It had a 6 speed manual gearbox (sealed for life - never had an oil change) and was on the original clutch.

When I first started motoring in the 70's, an engine would need a de-coke (head off and valves re-grinded) at 20 - 30,000 miles and probably gone through 2 clutches by then. A replacement engine at 60,000 - 80,000 miles?

My current car is doing around 16,000 mile between oil changes. My Ural 2,500 km

I don't think Ural has quite caught up with the Japanese/Germans standards as far as vehicle production, so overall longevity of parts, frequency of maintenance etc probably not quite there yet.

.......... but that's not why we love 'em
Steve

2004 Ural Dalesman
'91 Honda VFR 750
'98 BMW F650

Sometimes I sit and think
............. mostly I just sit

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 am

Ural is serviceable with little tools and knowledge , even efi ones.
You will not find junk ural in usa scrap yard .
With one Re built you can do 300000 km and more. ask Dr G.
I buy junk ural.

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

also nice thing about newer Urals is they outsourced many parts; alternator, disc brakes, efi and carbs, gears, switches, shocks....
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am

Any junk vehicles....
when you cannot fix it or afford dealer to fix it.

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:27 am

chaos2 wrote:also nice thing about newer Urals is they outsourced many parts; alternator, disc brakes, efi and carbs, gears, switches, shocks....

Does this apply to older models like mine that was built in 2003?
I know for sure that the newer models with closed loop efi will be a lot more reliable and will break a lot less often. I was just curious to know how many miles one can put on a Ural before it is considered unworthy of being on the road.
I love the fact that it's a very simple design and I would love to keep mine until the day I die or can't ride any more. I just hope I can find spare parts to keep it running like a top.
If you wanted to know, I probably do not ride more than a few hundred miles every year. I have never taken a trip of more than 100 miles round trip. So my question about mileage might sound silly, but I wanted to know how reliable these bikes can be over the long run.
Last edited by mouka on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:59 am

read the posts above. Jay's 2000 ural went 300,000 k before he sold it. Believe it is still running. Of course he did upgrade from 650 to 750. Billy G is probably pushing 300.000 on his 2000 Ural as well. Big James just topped 78k and he is begging for his rig to break so he has an excuse to buy that 2013 M70 (the one I want but cannot afford) :lol: :lol: :lol:

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:00 pm

FYI there are plenty of stories of extreme long distance rides on Urals out there. go check out Hubert.

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Most people just get tired of "the adventure" and replace them.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 pm

All rigs are different with different owners and riding styles as well as maintenance regimens...
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”