what windshield

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Comrade General
Comrade
Comrade

what windshield

Postby Comrade General » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Im wanting a windshield for the bike side.

Ive seen of course the Ural fairing style but I want one more compact and not as expensive.

I saw a couple example in a couple of threads a week of so ago but now I cant find them. Any recommendations for a windshield?

2015 gear-up
-2015 Ural Gear-Up Sportsman Edition

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: what windshield

Postby rivers » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:03 pm

What's your goal? Weather protection or just less wind pressure on your chest? I like the older Ural batwing fairings. Look and work well. If you just need less wind pressure the small Givi A200(?) works well.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

phliparoonie

Postby phliparoonie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:18 pm

The standard URAL "fairing" windscreen does a great job of diverting the airstream up and over your head. I have to raise out of my seat an inch or so before I will feel the slipstream buffeting the helmet. I have heard (here) others say that other types of URAL windscreens don't do that as well. I was lucky when I bought my rig that the standard windscreen came with. IMHO, the price is worth the fatigue reduction and not having to scrunch down for hours on end on a road trip.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 21.3 kkm - 17/02/22
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover disconnect

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Wanderrad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:26 pm

I have the SportShield from Slipstreamer. It is a four point mount so it doesn't float at speed. It is small enough that I can look over it while riding but still provides great coverage.

Edit: I just saw the Slipstreamer on Holopaw for $139.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:55 pm

phliparoonie wrote:The standard URAL "fairing" windscreen does a great job of diverting the airstream up and over your head. .... IMHO, the price is worth the fatigue reduction and not having to scrunch down for hours on end on a road trip.

The standard Ural windscreen works very well to divert wind, rain, snow, etc. I had a heck of a time to try to reduce or get rid of buffeting on my big tour motorcycle. The Ural windshield does it correctly (with the leg guards on Gear Up models) right out of the box.

It ALSO provides better weather protection for all the stuff under the speedo in the "Ural-dash". You can also mount a "project-box" or something to the backside of the Ural windshield for added switches, or gauges, whatever. The standard Ural windshield just looks "correct" and can be sold separately if you want to do so when you sell the bike for a few more $$. Add-ons do not mean much in resale value of a motorcycle.

Any add-on for nearly any motorcycle is expensive - there is not much of a market for an individual item to become "cheap". You get what you pay for. JMO

YMMV
Last edited by siberman1 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nimbus4 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I have a Spit Fire on mine. For the price it is OK. I have the Ural handguards to deflect wind and rain, those work good. Just needed modified a bit with a dremel. The plus's 1. Cheap 2. Easy on easy off The minus's 1.Had to use a piece of foam to raise it a bit or the air hit right on my throat 2. Hand guard a must because doe not cover hand.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up
2005 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)

ASE Certified, CASI Certified Lubrication Tech

"A short cut is often the fastest way to somewhere you were not heading."

Comrade General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Comrade General » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Im mainly looking to deflect wind, to stay a bit warmer in the cooler month. Givi A200, thats one that I looked at before but forgot the name. Thats kinda in the area of what Im wanting.

Seeing the good reviews of the ural one is tempting, but the biggest reason Im not sure I want to spend the money on it is because I dont really plan on using it all the time.

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:05 pm

The newer style fairings are pretty decent for weather protection(except the hands). Only thing I don't like is the plex is pretty tall and if I keep the factory one on my 014 (not likely at all), I'll cut the plex down a couple/few inches. Give Terry Crawford a call and see what he may have. A few years ago I bought a new one that was a factory blem. Had a hard to find nick/chip in the paint on the back side (maybe 1/16" dia.) otherwise perfect. Paid about half price of normal. Terry also has complete NOS batwings. Otherwise you should be able to find a used fairing/shield and hdw for about $100-$150 or so. Gene in FL would also be a good source.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

ichbinbier
Party Member
Party Member

Postby ichbinbier » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:05 am

Wanderrad wrote:I have the SportShield from Slipstreamer. It is a four point mount so it doesn't float at speed. It is small enough that I can look over it while riding but still provides great coverage.

Edit: I just saw the Slipstreamer on Holopaw for $139.

Damn that looks good.

I had a hard time choosing a windshield for mine but I ended up buying the stock Ural windshield. The dealer I go to buys the bikes complete with sidecar and bike windshields. This is the only way he can get a colour matched windshield guaranteed. If you don't buy the bike with windshields he just keeps them until someone else buys them.

After last winter where the temperature got down to -25 degrees Celsius I needed a windshield. I couldn't find one to my liking so I bought the one that came with the bike. Had I seen yours and how effin good it looks on the bike I would have went with yours.

Damn that looks good.
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Wanderrad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:05 am

:cheers:
Thanks!
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Comrade General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Comrade General » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:11 pm

just ordered a givi a210

scan

Postby scan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:25 am

Comrade General wrote:just ordered a givi a210

Curious to hear how that shield works for you. I have the givi a660 and it is off the bike because I can't figure out a position without getting extreme wind buffering at my head. Maybe the a210 is so small air never gets above your chest.
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:05 pm

FYI - Can't go as fast with a windshield.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

TerryG

Postby TerryG » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:36 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:FYI - Can't go as fast with a windshield.

Craig, This is not entirely true. There are many windshields/fairings that will increase both top speed and gas mileage. This is a rather pricy example:

http://parabellum.com/Default.aspx

The erect human body sitting on a bike is totally not streamlined. Any windshield/fairing that more effectively moves the air around that dam is going to help. There are bad examples and good examples out there, and some that are useful only for extream protection.

Myself, I find that my right hand limits my top speed long before my windshield does. :wink:
Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

Comrade General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Comrade General » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:24 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42884

thread with the install.

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”