Shipping Advice Florida to North Carolina

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Shipping Advice Florida to North Carolina

Postby siberman1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Snakeoil wrote:....

While on the subject, I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to tow a Ural rig with a car. You would have to tow it backwards.

regards,
Rob

Van/Gobium has done that already. He tows it forward by the front wheel, which is raised. He made a video of it, maybe some one has the video link?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

powerst

Postby powerst » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 pm

barnone wrote:powerst,
Sounds like you buying from Gene? If so no problem. What you getting?

2007 Retro

baracu wrote:I bought a Ural from a member here a few months ago. The member was going to be away, so he left the bike at Gene's to be picked up. Gene was most accomodating. I used http://www.steeltoycarriers.com/ as a shipper. Ken was great to deal with and his prices were affordable. I suggest you give him a call for a price. AL

Thanks for the info Baracu. Just left him a message.

I appreciate all the help everyone here has given. First bike and I've had a grin on my face all day long. Going to be a few sleepless nights until it gets here.

Dreirad

Postby Dreirad » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:11 pm

powerst wrote:
barnone wrote:powerst,
Sounds like you buying from Gene? If so no problem. What you getting?

2007 Retro

Let us know when its home!

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 am

Yep, say you bought a bike from Gene and need it to get to you and folks come out of the wood works offering rides and trailer mainly just as an excuse to go visit Gene. Says volumes for the man doesn't it? I am in Macon, Ga, have a trailer and time on my hands. If you don't take up any of the other offers, I am offering to go get and deliver it to you. Only issue I have is going down there may make me end up buying (another) one...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:27 am

There's an offer that's hard to refuse. A member here will certainly make sure it is handled with loving care. You pay him for his time and fuel and you'll still be ahead of the game.

regards,
Rob
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

powerst

Postby powerst » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:58 pm

I can definitely say everyone here has been great so far.

Right now I'm working out the logistics of the weekend deal. With all the good things people here had to say about Gene I'd definitely like to meet him. If not this purchase, then the next.

Friend somehow knew off the top of their head I can fly from my local airport 10 minutes up the road to Orlando for 150 bucks. If i can find a good time for it i may be able to fly down on a Friday/Saturday morning and have that day and the next to ride it home. First ride up I95, think I can handle. First ride up I95 in the dark, probably stopping at a motel.

I'm a grown man-child. I assume I'd need to get it registered and insured at home first so I can have tags to put on it for the ride back. Gotta talk to insurance company about that on Monday. Have a friend who's been riding (not Urals) since 16 so I'm bugging the heck out of them with questions.

rivers

Postby rivers » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:37 pm

powerst wrote:I can definitely say everyone here has been great so far.

Right now I'm working out the logistics of the weekend deal. With all the good things people here had to say about Gene I'd definitely like to meet him. If not this purchase, then the next.

Friend somehow knew off the top of their head I can fly from my local airport 10 minutes up the road to Orlando for 150 bucks. If i can find a good time for it i may be able to fly down on a Friday/Saturday morning and have that day and the next to ride it home. First ride up I95, think I can handle. First ride up I95 in the dark, probably stopping at a motel.

I'm a grown man-child. I assume I'd need to get it registered and insured at home first so I can have tags to put on it for the ride back. Gotta talk to insurance company about that on Monday. Have a friend who's been riding (not Urals) since 16 so I'm bugging the heck out of them with questions.

If it's currently licensed and registered in FL and up to date, you can legally ride it to NC and do the NC paperwork transfer after you get home. If stopped and you've got the sales paperwork with you and explain you just bought it and driving it home the LEO's won't give you any grief if you have a valid current lic plate. If you need insurance in NC I'd work that out beforehand with your ins co.. Keep in mind your hwy speed will be in the 50-55mph or 60mph max range. A 500 miles trip especially for a new hack pilot is best broken into two 250 mile days. If you're brand new to 3 wheelers 250 miles is going to be a long tiring day. The learning curve takes time (previous 2 wheel experience don't count) so don't push it and risk making a fatal stupid mistake cause you're fatigued but you just gotta get there on schedule. Relax enjoy the trip.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

sallen

Postby sallen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:25 pm

rivers wrote:
powerst wrote:I can definitely say everyone here has been great so far.

If it's currently licensed and registered in FL and up to date, you can legally ride it to NC and do the NC paperwork transfer after you get home. If stopped and you've got the sales paperwork with you and explain you just bought it and driving it home the LEO's won't give you any grief if you have a valid current lic plate. If you need insurance in NC I'd work that out beforehand with your ins co.. Keep in mind your hwy speed will be in the 50-55mph or 60mph max range. A 500 miles trip especially for a new hack pilot is best broken into two 250 mile days. If you're brand new to 3 wheelers 250 miles is going to be a long tiring day. The learning curve takes time (previous 2 wheel experience don't count) so don't push it and risk making a fatal stupid mistake cause you're fatigued but you just gotta get there on schedule. Relax enjoy the trip.

+1 on rivers comment.

You haven't stated where in NC your are. I live in Wilmington NC and recommend US17, driving the slab (I95) would not be a fun trip. I drive it when I'm in my truck to Savannah, my home town, and it's not fun. Everyone thinks they're NASCAR drivers in NC to GA (side note they are usually from north of the Mason-Dixon). Looking to make a trip to Savannah sometime around Thanksgiving and could connect up with you if you choose to ride up.
19?? Dnepr MT16

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo
130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:51 pm

A Ural on I-95? About like an armadillo on a Texas Highway.
Seriously.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:19 am

As a new hack guy myself ....don't even think about I95 and doing 500 miles a day. Just not a safe way to start off. Everything the guys have said is right. Either find more time to take a slow trip back or haul it..
2015 cT

powerst

Postby powerst » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:37 am

I'm in the Greenville/Kinston area if anyone knows where that is. About an hour and half east of Raleigh on 264.

Yeah. Just realized, if i do it this weekend, how busy I95 will be with holiday traffic.

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 am

I've had my rig a month now, first 300 miles behind me was a lot of learning even for a motorcycle rider. I personally would plan my route to avoid the interstates but to each his own. I know at least one crazy that rides his retro on the slab and seems to do just fine. Keep in mind, your max speed will be about 70 if you are well tuned, lucky and going down hill. The speed and cars don't bother me so much but I've been passed by big rigs doing 10mph faster than myself on a divided highway, the wind buffeting can be alarming on a rig that likes to wander in the first place.

I won't presume to tell you what to do, but I can tell you my experiences on the first 100 miles if you are interested. My advice is to talk to someone and learn all you can. Plan to circle holopaw a few times before heading out. Maybe Gene can offer you some first hand training. Make sure you have a tool kit on board. Plan to stop often, you can always skip a stop but it is better to plan a stop every 50 miles or so and skip one than to just keep going.

Also, on this first trip, always refuel BEFORE you need reserve. If you have trash in the tank switching to reserve could introduce it into the fuel line/filter and create an unplanned stop.

If you haven't already, call and chat with someone too. I'm new at it but PM me if you'd like to chat with me, otherwise I'm sure some more experienced riders would be glad to talk with you. Again, none of us are trying to discourage you, we just don't want you to have a sour first experience or read about you on the news.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

PineyMountainRacing
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby PineyMountainRacing » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:12 am

Technically it is not legal to ride or drive a newly purchased vehicle on a BOS in Florida. In SW Florida if you have the signed title and are headed in the general direction of home, most officers will give you a pass. And there is a decent chance you'll get stopped without a tag. I would think 600-700 miles, especially up I95 on a Ural is asking for drama (not just Leo drama LOL). You need to ask your insurance company how they would handle a claim if you insured a bike that was registered to someone else. And don't be tempted to use a plate from another motorcycle, it's a Felony in NC and maybe FL as well. None of this is to imply that I have never done a fly and ride across state lines using the sellers tag, but I would never let a buyer use my tag. Too much liability. If worse comes to worse, the buyer could say he never "bought" the bike and that the seller still owned it. Best to verify with a local LEO and insurance man.

Some random thoughts

I shipped my first Ural from Chicago to SW Florida a year and a half ago for $400 on uShip. Good experience. If you're not in a hurry you can hold out for a more competitive price, the first offers I got were north of 1000.

Both that bike, as well as the Gear Up I bought last Spring were advertised as mechanically perfect and ready for a "fly n drive." The first one was jetted so fat it wouldn't run over 35, and the fluids (oils) were over a couple yrs old. I only drained maybe 30cc out of the FD when I did my first maintenance. My Gear Up had a bad vibration above 44-50 and it turned out to be a broken tooth on ring gear. Both bikes eventually made it over to Holopaw where Kenny worked his magic, but if I had attempted a fly n ride with either one I would have never made it home. I know the first PO never rode the bike out of the city so he probably had no clue it was so out of tune, but he did know it had not been serviced since he bought it. The GU PO may not have ever ridden it over 40 so maybe he didn't know there was a problem with the FD, but he had Installed a new final drive at 400 miles so there is probably more to that story as well. So,I'd recommend like everyone else, whether you're gonna ride it, carry it or have it shipped, have Kenny go over it and prep it for your trip. If you're going to ride it home, make sure you've got all the tools (maybe a spare tire and tube) you need to change tires, extra oil, and plenty of time LOL.

The last couple bikes I've bought out of state I had the seller send me the title / bill of sale and I went down to DMV and registered the bike in my name (and got it insured) so I had a legal tag and insurance to ride the rig with. The last couple bikes I've sold, the seller sent me payment and I sent the title so they could do the same. If you're not comfortable with that, then maybe Gene could act as an escrow agent, you send him the money and the seller gives him the signed title / BOS and then after the bike checks out he pays the seller and gives (or mails you the title). If you have a comfort level with the seller you may not need a middle man. If it's a Florida bike you can run the vin with the DMV and make sure the seller is the legal owner and that there is no lien. You can also run the vin with the NICB (insurance crime bureau to make sure it has never been totaled or stolen). Also, maybe Gene has a way to give you a temp tag, but then he would probably have to get more involved in the deal than you want.

Have fun whatever you do, I'm in Sarasota (and I have a home in Jackson County, NC) so if I can help in any way LMK. Good Luck!
'12 GU

scottolds

Postby scottolds » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:50 am

If you do end up flying and riding, as others have stated I-95 would not be a good choice on the Ural. Especially when it drops to 4 lanes in SC from GA. I have driven and ridden it and it is not great. I am surprised at how many times there are accidents for seemingly no reason.

I have taken a route on my KLR from Orlando to VA Beach, VA. It totally avoided I-95, was scenic most of the way, and had plenty of opportunity to stop with plenty of fuel stops.

https://goo.gl/maps/od53QfGE4yG2

If you want even more scenic and have some extra time, stay on 17 and ride closer to the coast.

https://goo.gl/maps/4rbHygGPZJB2

Based on the number of miles and your comfort level, give yourself 3 days (2 overnight stops). If you are comfortable and can go more miles, it can be done easily in 2 days. I did it in a day on my KLR, but I probably would not again because I spent quite a bit of time in the dark.

The only issue I had when taking the backroads routes were a few areas with heavy logging truck traffic. Though, if I were on the Ural it would not have been as much of an issue since I would be riding slower anyway.

When I attempted my fly and ride, I found that some states will issue you a temporary tag even if you are an out of state resident if you just bought the vehicle in that state. The cost was low, but, it required the seller and buyer to be there and during DMV hours. That didn't work for me since it was New Years Day.

Good Luck!
2009 KLR650
1987 Honda VF700C Super Magna
2011 Ural Gear-UP - отвлекающий маневр
1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
http://www.rokkitrider.com

powerst

Postby powerst » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:21 pm

This is all good info to me. The downsides/alternatives to this idea are what I'm looking for.

I used to go down to Myrtle Beach/Conway for work all the time. Made the trip through Beulaville to 40 then down 17 from Wilmington to MB. Lots of nice roads through there and some good scenic side tracks.

Going to do the research with my insurance company next week while I await the final word from Gene.

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”