Shipping Advice Florida to North Carolina

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Shipping Advice Florida to North Carolina

Postby VWK75S » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:13 pm

powerst wrote:final word from Gene.

Did you get the bike?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 125,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S

powerst

Postby powerst » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Yep, took some advice from here and decided my first trip probably shouldn't be 600+ miles up an interstate and having it shipped here.

Working with a guy also recommended here now to see when he can get it to me.

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Hopefully it will be home before Christmas!
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

powerst

Postby powerst » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Update:

Got it delivered Monday by steeltoycarriers. Ken set it all up for me. Forget the guys name that made the delivery, someone who works with Ken. Very nice guy. Sent me pictures and an update when it was loaded up at Gene's and showed up within 10 minutes of the time he said he'd be here.

Bike runs like a champ. Of course with my luck it rained all day Monday. First think Tuesday took it out. No ballast. Did a few laps in a parking lot to get used to things before taking it out on the road since this is my first sidecar rig. Actually first motorcycle since I wasn't tall enough to ride a roller coaster. Freaking blast. UDF is actually a thing. Couple times I stopped to fill up and had people coming up asking questions. Probably the first Ural most have seen around here.

Rode it to work today. Couple of us went riding at lunch. After we ate, they pulled around to the gas station to fill up. I cut up a dirt road and across a bit of field. Kept telling them they didn't have enough wheels.

Bike itself, just as advertised by Gene. Used bike so few little things here and there (nothing wrong mechanically). Gives me something to do fixing things.

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:03 am

Glad everything worked out.
Check out CRAP in late spring to meet some of the neighbors your mother warned you about.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

sallen
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby sallen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:13 am

Congratulations.
Welcome to the foil :foilhead:
19?? Dnepr MT16
2008 Gear Up / Orange camo

A statement I live by.

Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Postby JohnBG » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:19 am

I'll ride it there for you... :moto:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

BARACU
Comrade
Comrade

Postby BARACU » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Good to see it all worked out for you and that you verified my recommendation of Steel Toy Carriers. First class operation from my dealings with them. AL
2012 GEAR UP GOBI

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Congrats! If you don't already have it, print out the sidecar manual on Sidecars.com. There is also a manual that Ural dealers offer. I have it and it's pretty good. It's really an instructor's manual. Probably posted here somewhere as a downloadable link. It has some exercises that you do in a parking lot that will help you get a feel for the rig.

You need to learn how to fly the car. That is key to feeling confident on the rig and also to knowing when you are pushing the envelope and how to recover safely. Can't stress this enough if you plan to ride it without a monkey most of the time.

Too short to ride the roller coaster... now that's funny. I remember somebody years ago saying a friend of his was so short his legs barely reached the ground.

There is a video out there, probably on YouTube of a guy that is very short and rides adventure bikes and vintage Triumphs. He has to put the bike in gear and get it moving while standing alongside. He lets the clutch out, puts a foot on one peg and swings his leg over like a cowboy getting on a moving horse. So two wheelers are not out of the question for you. Besides, it's not about size anyway. It's about attitude.

regards,
Rob
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

BernardCain

Postby BernardCain » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 am

Great and congratulations. Our new neighbors got their motorcycle hauling done very safely by vehicle shipping company at a fair price.

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 am

I'm in the same boat as you - in NC looking for Urals far away. Another option is to fly there and rent a u-haul truck/trailer and tow it home.

To Florida you could also consider taking the train. I used to take the train down to see my mother in Ocala - was $60 one way at the time.

Being a sidecar newbie there is no way I'd attempt to ride it home.
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Hey Crumb, You are welcome to borrow my trailer if you need it. I am south of you in Pinehurst

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:08 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:Hey Crumb, You are welcome to borrow my trailer if you need it. I am south of you in Pinehurst

Thanks!! Just need to find a bike to put on it :lurker:
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”