Beginner sidecar self practice / training thoughts

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Beginner sidecar self practice / training thoughts

Postby Peter Pan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:27 pm

As for the no ballast friends...the Ural is MUCH beginner friendlier then the super lightweight rigs MZ, Jawa....
In those a beginner is in deep trouble without ballast...
Ask me: first day 13.Dec.1986 on 145km 3 times straight into the pasture, next day a road side post got shortened by my MZ front joint fist, and hit right on top of my knee... 3 weeks later in Norway a 3/4 salto mortale in the left ditch, rig standing on the number plate and me hanging down from the centre joint like a pig to slaughter...
The dangerous moment comes when you start to feel comfortable...
Best reflex training can be achieved VERY fast on gravel roads, that is much safer then on paved ground.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

:FI:Igor

Postby :FI:Igor » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Had a Patrol before. Had eighty pounds of lead in trunk until I got comfortable, about 10,000 km. Removed the weights. Totaled rig at 14,000 km (not related to ballast). Got a new Patrol a month ago, have eighty pounds of lead in trunk. It's coming out next weekend. I watch my speed and setup for curves. I read the 'Yellow' book front to back, got a big empty parking lot about a mile from here; did the initial self training; can't (won't) fly the chair; It's natural and automatic for me to setup correctly for curves.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

Gwtg
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Gwtg » Tue May 17, 2016 5:57 pm

I just took the S/TEP class at Gateway Community College in North Haven, CT. Even after riding over 3000km I found it really improved my riding. Definitely worth taking.
Thanks, Greg

2014 Ural Patrol

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Tue May 17, 2016 6:14 pm

FYI - if you are in NC, MotoMark provides custom sidecar training. Soon as my rig gets here I'm going to spend a few weekends in a nearby parking lot, then spend a few hours with them.

http://www.motomark1.com/special.html
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Central NC | 2012 Patrol "Shambo" |
Please contribute useful info to uralwiki.org
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Postby JohnBG » Wed May 25, 2016 6:41 pm

John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

GewehrRides1

Postby GewehrRides1 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 pm

thecrumb wrote:FYI - if you are in NC, MotoMark provides custom sidecar training. Soon as my rig gets here I'm going to spend a few weekends in a nearby parking lot, then spend a few hours with them.

http://www.motomark1.com/special.html

I have taken two of the 2 wheel MotoMark classes, both were first rate. Having just picked up my gear up this past Saturday, I am very interested in this. I have done a lot of figure 8's, flown the chair 4 complete circles and learned how to fly it in kind of a straight line, kind of. Every ride is a learning experience. 400 km so far so good.
Ron, Brigitte, and Gewehr
Midway, NC

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:23 pm

I seemed prone to scratch sidecar fenders on my first 2 outfits. Must have been my bi-focals. All better now on # 3.

I vote for learning without ballast, you'll get better faster.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:17 pm

GewehrRides1 wrote:I have taken two of the 2 wheel MotoMark classes, both were first rate. Having just picked up my gear up this past Saturday, I am very interested in this.

I was thinking of starting a post to gauge interest in possibly getting a group of us together in central NC and maybe we could get a class together. They do 1:1 but said they could do a sidecar class if there was enough interest.

Jim
Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." ~ Frank Zappa

GewehrRides1

: Beginner sidecar self practice / training thoughts

Postby GewehrRides1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:53 am

I would be very interested
Ron, Brigitte, and Gewehr
Midway, NC

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 pm

It is something you can pickup by yourself for free, in a quiet neighborhood or empty parking lot. read up first, go slow & let the speed build as you get better. All my rigs have head shake at 20 mph- just go faster or slower.
IMO classes waste a lot of time with other personalities & don't need to spend money to learn material. plenty on line.

Have fun, C.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

vetsurginc

Postby vetsurginc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Just maintain a HEALTHY paranoia about cresting a hill and finding yourself facing an off-camber downhill right hander. Never thought I could lean all the way over the passenger step :-o
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

rivers

Postby rivers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:59 pm

vetsurginc wrote:Just maintain a HEALTHY paranoia about cresting a hill and finding yourself facing an off-camber downhill right hander. Never thought I could lean all the way over the passenger step :-o

As Doug mentions a decreasing radius curve can really ruin your day. Commonly found on hwy exit ramps. If in doubt set up your entrance speed on the conservative side rather than dealing with an 'Oh Chit' moment mid curve.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

thecrumb
Party Member
Party Member

Postby thecrumb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:25 pm

I just took my first 'long' ride (120miles) this weekend and rode all back roads that I was very familiar with on my motorcycle.

Was interesting to see how different the Ural was - but after I adjusted a bit I didn't have any issues. I was terrified of wiping out someones mailbox but never had any issues drifting too far to the right.

I did have a few 'moments' where I guess the road camber was a bit off - something I never noticed on a bike but was fairly obvious on the Ural.

Also just got the Yellow Book in the mail and have been reading that. Good stuff. Looking forward to working through some of the exercises this weekend. Having issue finding a parking lot big enough - damn this 'green' initiative where we have to plant trees in the middle of a parking lot :)
Jim

vetsurginc

Postby vetsurginc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:53 am

Also just got the Yellow Book in the mail and have been reading that. Good stuff. Looking forward to working through some of the exercises this weekend.

Really good book. David's the real deal. I still review it every so often and brush up skills.

Having issue finding a parking lot big enough - damn this 'green' initiative where we have to plant trees in the middle of a parking lot

You on Ural - drive over trees!!! :machinegun:
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:46 pm

After about 30 years of riding two-wheelers, I bought the Ural. I've have the cT for six months now (rideable for five of 'em... thanks, EFI) and have already amassed aaaaalmost 6,000km. No ballast in hack. No Yellow Book. Just got out there and played around. A lot. Surface street commuting, interstate travel, backroads, off-road - I've tried 'em all already. I'll probably never get a flat in the sidecar tire (or have to replace it) because it's rarely on the ground. I LOVE flying the chair. I love the slackjawed stares I get from onlookers and I love making my passengers go 'WEEEE'!
My 2 rubles is that, depending on your two-wheel experience and spirit of adventure, you don't NEED ballast or the Yellow Book (though skimming the book is recommended). I feel that it's all about progressing slowly to find both your and your rig's limits. Eh, your mileage may vary.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”