Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Postby Underhill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

MartyL wrote:Here's a new suggestion ....ALWAYS AT LEAST PUMP THE KICK STARTER A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE USING THE ELECTRIC STARTER! NEVER JUST USE THE ELECTRIC STARTER FIRST BY ITSELF. Why? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29656

+1 :cheers:
'08 Patrol Hansel
and other stuff I don't drive much.
I used to be Overkill but theorists broke into my me-mail and things have gotten all iffy now.

Never been tired, never been hungry never been lied to.
Bugrit--millenium hand and shrimp

Uralbert

Postby Uralbert » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi! First post, sorry to be busting balls.
http://translate.google.com/#en/ru/Dnepr listen to it read out loud
Nice list - wish I'd read it before I fell in love with (and bought) my '93 ural :lol:

thesquarewheelis
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby thesquarewheelis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:28 am

new Ural Patrol owner with some additional questions that I have yet to find the answers to.
Bike: 2011 Patrol 2wd, no upgrades, stock from factory. 1600km.

1) What is the going discussion on down-shifting to slow the rig down? I know some bmw owners that say it causes unnecessary wear on the gears because it rapidly forces the contact patch to the other side of the gear tooth. I would like to think I'm just wearing them in on both sides evenly.

2) When slowing down using the rear-drum brakes only, there is a distinct pulsing feeling about the entire rig, it is almost the exact same feeling as a warped disc rotor on a car, is this possible with drum brakes and should I be worried about something in the final drive (the feeling is in gear or in neutral, doesn't matter).

3) The owners manual tells you that idling at a stop for three minutes can cause engine overheating? If i'm in stop and go traffic should I turn the rig off at every opportunity, or are there some signs/smells/feels that I can use while in stop/go traffic that will cue me into the onset of overheating such that i can turn it off before it gets too hot.

4) Lastly, when cruising for a couple of miles at 45-55mph and then stopping for a red light I always get a brief smell of burnt/heated oil? There are no oil leaks that are near the heads/cylinders/exhaust so I don't think that could be the problem. Is this a normal smell?

Thanks
Dnepr MT16
2011 Patrol
7/64" carb slide
2 shims
CA air box deleted

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Bilgekeeldave » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:00 pm

thesquarewheelis wrote:new Ural Patrol owner with some additional questions that I have yet to find the answers to.
Bike: 2011 Patrol 2wd, no upgrades, stock from factory. 1600km.

1) What is the going discussion on down-shifting to slow the rig down? I know some bmw owners that say it causes unnecessary wear on the gears because it rapidly forces the contact patch to the other side of the gear tooth. I would like to think I'm just wearing them in on both sides evenly.

2) When slowing down using the rear-drum brakes only, there is a distinct pulsing feeling about the entire rig, it is almost the exact same feeling as a warped disc rotor on a car, is this possible with drum brakes and should I be worried about something in the final drive (the feeling is in gear or in neutral, doesn't matter).

3) The owners manual tells you that idling at a stop for three minutes can cause engine overheating? If i'm in stop and go traffic should I turn the rig off at every opportunity, or are there some signs/smells/feels that I can use while in stop/go traffic that will cue me into the onset of overheating such that i can turn it off before it gets too hot.

4) Lastly, when cruising for a couple of miles at 45-55mph and then stopping for a red light I always get a brief smell of burnt/heated oil? There are no oil leaks that are near the heads/cylinders/exhaust so I don't think that could be the problem. Is this a normal smell?

Thanks

1) I'm with you on that one.

2) Maybe the steel drum is a little off center in the aluminum hub casting. Try switching the spare to the pusher and see if the pulsing goes away.

3) I think that three minutes is way over cautious, but I'm sure someone with more Ural experience than I will chime in.

4) I wouldn't worry about it, if you can't find any signs of oil weeping out.

Dave
RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

thesquarewheelis
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby thesquarewheelis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:11 pm

I'll try swapping out the rear wheel and see what change it has. I think for testing I'll disconnect the side car brakes so I can eliminate which drum is out of round.
Dnepr MT16
2011 Patrol
7/64" carb slide
2 shims
CA air box deleted

musher

Postby musher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

I may have missed the answer to this someplace, but I'm wondering what is the "average" tire life that can be expected on Urals? For such riding as daily commuting, not traversing the Gobi desert. Just normal road driving,.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:54 pm

I've never seen an "average" figured for Urals. Just too many variables:riding style, speed, road material, tread pattern, tire brand, curves, load carried etc. If you're considering an outfit I would expect low miles and you won't be surprised or disappointed. The pusher tire is the one that wears quickly the front and hack last a long time. For stock street tread Duro 308's I'd plan on a new pusher from 5000-8000km. How curvy your paved roads are will be a big factor. If you're flying across Kansas and haven't hit a curve since last January they last longer. If you're in the mts of CO and constantly exiting one curve and setting up for the next one you'll be burning up some pusher tires. Of course lugged tires on pavement wear even faster.It's not pleasant but seems to be a fact of life, sidecar outfits eat tires and is probably the most expensive maint and PITA part of driving an outfit. Sidecar designed/rated tires availability can be spotty. I always try to keep spares on hand in my garage.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:56 pm

musher wrote:I may have missed the answer to this someplace, but I'm wondering what is the "average" tire life that can be expected on Urals? For such riding as daily commuting, not traversing the Gobi desert. Just normal road driving,.

I replaced all three tires on the ground and put the old pusher around some tomato plants at about 8000 km -- roughly 5000 miles. This was mixed town/country driving.
I installed a new HF 307 on the pusher at 18,500 km (about 12,000 miles). It is a bit more complicated than that because I have been rotating the pusher, spare, sidecar and extra tires. Think 7500 km on the pusher and a bit more on the sidecar. The front, because of the rake, lasts longer but . . .

By the way--I got three Duro HF 370's with new tubes shipped for a total of $230.91. :boogie:
'08 Patrol Hansel
I used to be Overkill but theorists broke into my me-mail and things have gotten all iffy now.

musher

Postby musher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Now you have me confused. You replaced the pusher at 8000km or 5000 miles, then you say you put a new pusher on at about 12000 miles, but conclude by saying to figure about 7500 km or 4500 miles on a pusher tire. so, as I read your comments I come up with 3 different numbers for pusher tire mileage: 5000, 12000 and 4500. Do I average all 3? I'm confused.

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:26 pm

musher wrote:Now you have me confused. You replaced the pusher at 8000km or 5000 miles, then you say you put a new pusher on at about 12000 miles, but conclude by saying to figure about 7500 km or 4500 miles on a pusher tire. so, as I read your comments I come up with 3 different numbers for pusher tire mileage: 5000, 12000 and 4500. Do I average all 3? I'm confused.

The first pusher lasted about 8000km. By rotating the spare, pusher and sidecar tires along with the closet tires I did not have to install
a second new pusher until about 18,500km when I mounted a new Duro HF307. :moto:
'08 Patrol Hansel

musher

Postby musher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

ok, let me see if I have this correct. You replaced the first pusher at approximately 5000 miles and put on a new one. That one, the second one, lasted another 10500 km (or about 6300 miles). Total mileage for the 2 tires was 18500 km or about 11,100 miles. So, would it be reasonable to expect tire mileage to be somewhere around 5000-5500 miles under average driving conditions on the pusher position?

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 pm

musher wrote:ok, let me see if I have this correct. You replaced the first pusher at approximately 5000 miles and put on a new one. That one, the second one, lasted another 10500 km (or about 6300 miles). Total mileage for the 2 tires was 18500 km or about 11,100 miles. So, would it be reasonable to expect tire mileage to be somewhere around 5000-5500 miles under average driving conditions on the pusher position?

Absolutely! :beerchug:
'08 Patrol Hansel

JMarcP
Comrade
Comrade

Postby JMarcP » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:21 pm

A regular Ural has leading link forks. An M70 has standard telescopic forks. What is the difference in handling? If most riding would be on pavement, what would be the preferred model? Would the M70 be twitchier than the standard leading link?

nbsdave
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby nbsdave » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:42 pm

JMarcP wrote:A regular Ural has leading link forks. An M70 has standard telescopic forks. What is the difference in handling? If most riding would be on pavement, what would be the preferred model? Would the M70 be twitchier than the standard leading link?

I'm a big fan of the T model. Higher ground clearance than an M70 and looks the part.
Two wheel drive isn't needed by everyone who wants a Ural.
With a T, you can add all the stuff you want and not have to deal with stuff on the rig that you don't want/need.
Color choices are vary limited though.
keep your word, no excuses
Ural-it's not just another motorcycle!
2011 Ural T, now only a memory

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm

You know you have been in Ukraine (or Russia) to long if:

You can pronounce Dnipropetrovsk without having a seizure. (For Russia - Nihzniy Novgorod)

Dnipropetrovsk was the firs Ukrainina city I could say, read on a map (Днепропетровск) and spell in Russian. So, Dnepr is a piece of cake.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”