Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
airspro

Re: Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Postby airspro » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for the new guy write up . Been helpfull .
best <S>
spro

ARozanski
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ARozanski » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I think a separate Top 20 for the Dneprs would be quite helpful, focusing mainly on differences and part availability, perhaps?

Also, personally, I'd love a pictorial graph of the various year/model availability, maybe with models across the top, years on the left, bars showing what was available (or most likely to be available, I guess). This might help in identifying potential models, if you know the year of manufacture.

There is a huge amount of knowledge in these forums, and from my perspective, alot of initial questions deal with what machine might this be, and where do I get parts for it (I know these are my main questions :D )
1981 Neval/Dnepr, 2002 Harley Fat Boy

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Don't know how much info is out there on Dneprs. I like'm but don't own one yet and try to find what I can. So far I've found Weav's "Useful Information and Technical Guide to Antique Russian Motorcycles and Sidecars" 2nd Ed. Lotsa good info in there. It's a PITA to use though. For the cost of the book it would have been handy if the printer would have included page numbers. I like to keep notes on location of topics I know I'll be returning to. After getting fed up with a zillion scraps of paper as bookmarks labeled 'ign switch', '12v conversion' etc I finally took the time to take a sharpie and number all the pages. Now I can make a note "Ign switch, page xx". It's NOT an end all everything you'll ever need to know book but other than the lack of page numbers it's an informative and fun resource worth buying.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

ARozanski
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ARozanski » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 am

rivers wrote:Don't know how much info is out there on Dneprs. I like'm but don't own one yet and try to find what I can. So far I've found Weav's "Useful Information and Technical Guide to Antique Russian Motorcycles and Sidecars" 2nd Ed. Lotsa good info in there. It's a PITA to use though. For the cost of the book it would have been handy if the printer would have included page numbers. I like to keep notes on location of topics I know I'll be returning to. After getting fed up with a zillion scraps of paper as bookmarks labeled 'ign switch', '12v conversion' etc I finally took the time to take a sharpie and number all the pages. Now I can make a note "Ign switch, page xx". It's NOT an end all everything you'll ever need to know book but other than the lack of page numbers it's an informative and fun resource worth buying.

Is that the book that gives an overview of the Russian motorcycle industry in the early 1900s, goes through discussion about the BMW connection, talks about the Urals and Dnpers, and has some technical/humor stuff at the end? IF so, I have that, useful, but I was thinking more detailed tech stuff, if possible. Just an idea.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

ARozanski wrote:I think a separate Top 20 for the Dneprs would be quite helpful, focusing mainly on differences and part availability, perhaps?

Also, personally, I'd love a pictorial graph of the various year/model availability, maybe with models across the top, years on the left, bars showing what was available (or most likely to be available, I guess). This might help in identifying potential models, if you know the year of manufacture.

There is a huge amount of knowledge in these forums, and from my perspective, alot of initial questions deal with what machine might this be, and where do I get parts for it (I know these are my main questions :D )

All sounds great. How about creating that thread and I'll make it into a sticky. :)
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

ARozanski
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ARozanski » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

MartyL wrote:
ARozanski wrote:I think a separate Top 20 for the Dneprs would be quite helpful, focusing mainly on differences and part availability, perhaps?

All sounds great. How about creating that thread and I'll make it into a sticky. :)

I'm more of an idea man :D

Honestly, the problem I have is that I don't know the information, that is why I would like such a thread. Let me think about it.

motoleo

Postby motoleo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

ARozanski wrote:
MartyL wrote:

I'm more of an idea man :D

Honestly, the problem I have is that I don't know the information, that is why I would like such a thread. Let me think about it.

Hope it happens as I do not know Dneprs at all and I have a MT-11 I'm working on.
motoleo
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic rig
94 Ural Tourist (sidecar waiting to be done)
?? Dnepr MT-11 project
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic solo
07 Patrol-never quite done :)

ARozanski
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ARozanski » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 am

motoleo wrote:Hope it happens as I do not know Dneprs at all and I have a MT-11 I'm working on.

The best suggestion I have, based on my experience with my Neval, is to post here and over at Russian Iron, put up pics and ask detailed questions. There is a lot of knowledge between these two sites, and also start searching Dnepr forums and sites, there are a handful out on the Web with good info.

uraline

Postby uraline » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Great post, thank you, help me a lot...

Yamaller
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Yamaller » Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Great post indeed!! Thanks.
2012 Yamal Gear-Up

Bpatz

Postby Bpatz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you to whoever wrote this - great information !! Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should buy new or used for a first Ural ? I have owned 3 other bikes just not one with a sidecar before .

Thank you :)

rivers

Postby rivers » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Bpatz wrote:Thank you to whoever wrote this - great information !! Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should buy new or used for a first Ural ? I have owned 3 other bikes just not one with a sidecar before .

Opinion only: Depends on your financial situation. Sidecars aren't for everyone especially if you're used to going fast and canyon carving. There is a learning that can't be skipped it takes seat time and km's. Part of the learning curve requires forgetting everything you learned about riding two wheelers, getting used to slower speeds and longer trip times and learning new skills but IMHO the more you learn the funner it gets. I'd suggest for a daily rider get a "good" used one. In case you decide hacks aren't for you, you won't take as big of hit financially if you sell it. I started with used after 40 years of two wheelers and there were times when I thought holy crap what have I gotten myself into. But it all just got better and better and I later sprung for a brand new one. Odds are great you too will love it but then maybe not?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gflapg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm

rivers wrote:
Bpatz wrote:Thank you to whoever wrote this - great information !! Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should buy new or used for a first Ural ? I have owned 3 other bikes just not one with a sidecar before .

Opinion only: Depends on your financial situation. Sidecars aren't for everyone especially if you're used to going fast and canyon carving. There is a learning that can't be skipped it takes seat time and km's. Part of the learning curve requires forgetting everything you learned about riding two wheelers, getting used to slower speeds and longer trip times and learning new skills but IMHO the more you learn the funner it gets. I'd suggest for a daily rider get a "good" used one. In case you decide hacks aren't for you, you won't take as big of hit financially if you sell it. I started with used after 40 years of two wheelers and there were times when I thought holy crap what have I gotten myself into. But it all just got better and better and I later sprung for a brand new one. Odds are great you too will love it but then maybe not?

+1
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

spiritwalker6153
Party Member
Party Member

Postby spiritwalker6153 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks for the great amount of information in this post.
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up, purely optional."

2013 Ural Gear Up, "Natasha"

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Here's a new suggestion ....ALWAYS AT LEAST PUMP THE KICK STARTER A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE USING THE ELECTRIC STARTER! NEVER JUST USE THE ELECTRIC STARTER FIRST BY ITSELF. Why? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29656
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”